What's new

New Player in the Stealth Game? Turkey Unveils Indigenous TF-X Fifth Generation Fighter

Will Turkish Steatlh Fighter Jets program be a success?

• Yes

Votes: 60 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters
I think the design is very much ambitious and if they proceed to build it might create a lots of issues. Even with foreign components, integrating and testing an fighter is not an easy joke. Even for a 4th gen aircraft, after developing the initial aircrafts, engineers were caught up with different problems. Different methodologies for testing the platform and components in different environments. Developing test solutions for aviation took considerable time as well.

Even for AMCA when the first design was unveiled in 2009, it went through 3-4 iterations and now it looks completely different than what it looked the first time it was unveiled. Its a process. But the timeline of 2023 is aggressive, unrealistic.

I can just wish Best of Luck to Turkey.

A small reminder for those who are not familiar with the project: MMU ( Turkish F-X ) Project is in its 9th year. In other words, the aircraft will perform its first flight on the 13th or 14th year with a temporary engine set. The first aircraft to be delivered to TuAF will roll-out from hangar after the 15th years of the project.

There are people who have no knowledge and ideas about the avionics and structural equipment capabilities of the Turkish aviation ecosystem and the ongoing vertical expertise. And these people are pretending to be an expert, but just lowering the PDF forum level.

More than 100 subsystems/metallurgy/processing tech project are under development within the scope of the project. ( some part of it is due to JSF program ) The first stages were successfully completed in a significant part of these projects. If you ask, @cabatli_53 can give you detailed information about these issues. A large number of projects have reached a certain maturity in all avionics, including communication, tactical data networks, mission computer , Ew/Ed suits , illuminating-targeting-decision support systems etc. and the creation of the main structure for fusion of all these systems. In addition, all unique or indigenous cad-cam solutuions, design-verification-test standards have been moved to the highest level. In the field of critical design activities and systems engineering, BAE support has been received within scope of acceleration of the process. It is possible that the conceptual terms could be similar to those of the UK's Tempest project, becasuse of core-crew.

All these processes are legally and economically guaranteed by the decisions of the defense industry executive committee, the council of ministers and the Presidential decrees.

Do not forget that Turkey is a part of the JSF program since the beginning. F-35 will not be the best aircraft in any of the conventional aviation criteria. However, this aircraft has been developed with the concept of network-based combat and autonomous communication between machines from the design phase. All program partner countries are working to align future air forces with this concept. In this context, I would like to say that the MMU project will develop within this design philosophy. With F-35 or without F-35 , TuAF working this concept over 15 years.

The most important test in front of Turkish aviation : Having IP rights of the new generation engine for F-X or being able to achieve domestic production without any restriction for export. Other issues go ahead of the project schedule, contrary to expectations.

Last edited:
You think Turkey would get the missing knowledge via industrial espionage while at the same time hoping to make business with those companies at the same time?

you think it isnt well established tool employed by countries on almost regular basis? Even between the closest of allies. If deniad such knowledge, esspecially if crucial for the succes of the project, for sure. I would bet my life on it. only question is, does Turkey have that kind of inteligence capabilities to do so.

Nope ... the lack of a technical indigenous base and lack of experience, the changing political relationship (if the US/Turkish relationship gets worse, then there's no engine, just plain and simple), their own economy and most of all hubris to think Turkey would get what is missing just by $$$.
Pfff!!! What do not read sometimes...

Concerning the engine the process is controlled at 25/30% at present. The biggest challenge is "the resistance of materials to much longer term" facing the titanic temperatures they endure.

- See to 4:38

Beyond the technical challenge, it's the number of trained engineers and technicians - insufficient at the moment - for the level of this type of program.

Last edited:
You think Turkey would get the missing knowledge via industrial espionage while at the same time hoping to make business with those companies at the same time?

Like the rest (even we do it) of the world do?

I saw it today. :partay:

IMG_0816.JPG

IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

Pfff!!! What do not read sometimes...

Concerning the engine the process is controlled at 25/30% at present. The biggest challenge is "the resistance of materials to much longer term" facing the titanic temperatures they endure.

I totally agree. This is the knowlage that nobody wants to share. If we put nanoengineered materials aside these type of high endurance superalloys are the pinaccle of materials science. Forget discovering new one; even just aquiring production technology takes a lot of time and effort.

TFX program will pass into critical design review & prototype production period in following years. It is in the end of PDR now. At present, More than 1000 engineers (100 BAE) is working on PDR phase. TAI purchased Dassault Aviations’ licenced software to use on design activities of TfX. This software eases the load of engineers. A super computer which has 10,000 core is being used on modelling the platform. Wind tunnel of BAE is used for design optimization. In critical design phase, Some chances may be applied but I do not expect anything very serious. With installation of embeded sensors, optics, antennas, The design of TF-X will seem more agressive and deadly in CDR. An big fuselage (21m) and powerful engines providing supercruise capability to platform is the clear indication for big and ambitious idea to develop multi-purpose aircraft platform which is going to house vast of different mission payload. Single platform for all missions.

View attachment 565902

Beautiful fighter jet! Godspeed to my Turkish brothers!

I totally agree. This is the knowlage that nobody wants to share. If we put nanoengineered materials aside these type of high endurance superalloys are the pinaccle of materials science. Forget discovering new one; even just aquiring production technology takes a lot of time and effort.

Can we develop an engine with low quality materials. Lets say western origin engines use high quality materials and have 6.000 hours of lifetime. And we used low quality material and our engine have 1.000 hours of lifetime. Is this possible or it doesnt work that way?

Back
Top Bottom