New Power Plants in Bangladesh

eastwatch

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
:: biz.bdnews24.com ::

4 power plants bids get green light
Mon, Mar 22nd, 2010 1:32 am BdST

Dhaka, March 21 (bdnews24.com)裕he government approved bids on Sunday of two companies for four power plants of a combined capacity of 270 megawatts, slated to be built by June next year.

The cabinet purchase committee, at a meeting Sunday, gave the green light to a bid by consortium Energypac Power Generation and Engineering Ltd, Bangladesh's largest power engineering company, for a 100 megawatt power plant in Gopalganj district.

The project will cost around Tk 6.93 billion, Nurul Karim, joint secretary of the cabinet division, told reporters after the meeting.

The same consortium also won contracts for two 50 megawatt power plants at Katakhali in Rajshahi and Shantahar in Naogaon, costing Tk 3.50 billion and Tk 3.64 billion respectively.

Hyundai Heavy Industries of Korea has won the contract to install a 70 megawatt power plant in Bera of Pabna district, Karim said.

He said the contracts stipulated installation of the four furnace oil-fired power plants within 15 months.

The cabinet committee's approval is a part of the government's initiative to build ten diesel or furnace oil-fired 'peaking' power plants with a total capacity of 830 megawatt by the end of 2011.

The Power Development Board floated the tenders last September, without prior approval from the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council. ECNEC approved the Tk 72.03 billion project for the 10 plants just last week.

The plants are meant for generating electricity only during the peak hours of 4-11pm, and will be run on gas-alternatives due to a shortage of natural gas.

Total power production falls short by about 1200 megawatt during peak demand in Bangladesh, causing frequent power black outs and grey outs. The country's 40 or so operational power plants generated 3945 megawatts against a peak demand of 5200 megawatts on Sunday.

Dhaka, March 21 (bdnews24.com)裕he government approved bids on Sunday of two companies for four power plants of a combined capacity of 270 megawatts, slated to be built by June next year.

The cabinet purchase committee, at a meeting Sunday, gave the green light to a bid by consortium Energypac Power Generation and Engineering Ltd, Bangladesh's largest power engineering company, for a 100 megawatt power plant in Gopalganj district.

The project will cost around Tk 6.93 billion, Nurul Karim, joint secretary of the cabinet division, told reporters after the meeting.

The same consortium also won contracts for two 50 megawatt power plants at Katakhali in Rajshahi and Shantahar in Naogaon, costing Tk 3.50 billion and Tk 3.64 billion respectively.

Hyundai Heavy Industries of Korea has won the contract to install a 70 megawatt power plant in Bera of Pabna district, Karim said.

He said the contracts stipulated installation of the four furnace oil-fired power plants within 15 months.

The cabinet committee's approval is a part of the government's initiative to build ten diesel or furnace oil-fired 'peaking' power plants with a total capacity of 830 megawatt by the end of 2011.

The Power Development Board floated the tenders last September, without prior approval from the Executive Committee of the National Economic Council. ECNEC approved the Tk 72.03 billion project for the 10 plants just last week.

The plants are meant for generating electricity only during the peak hours of 4-11pm, and will be run on gas-alternatives due to a shortage of natural gas.

Total power production falls short by about 1200 megawatt during peak demand in Bangladesh, causing frequent power black outs and grey outs. The country's 40 or so operational power plants generated 3945 megawatts against a peak demand of 5200 megawatts on Sunday.

I welcome this move by the govt to build 4 new oil-fired power plants. I would like to NOTE the price of building a power plant. If one calculates the values attached to the installed capacities, he will see that the cost is nearly US$1million/megawatt installed capacity.

So, the Indian offer to build 900MW capacity two units of power plants in Khulna at a cost of US$1780 million, which was posted earlier, is 78% higher than the normal price. Some Indian poster was asking me for a link to support my estimation. Now, the present post may constitute as a link for that.

I welcome this move by the govt to build 4 new oil-fired power plants. I would like to NOTE the price of building a power plant. If one calculates the values attached to the installed capacities, he will see that the cost is nearly US$1million/megawatt installed capacity.

So, the Indian offer to build 900MW capacity two units of power plants in Khulna at a cost of US$1780 million, which was posted earlier, is 78% higher than the normal price. Some Indian poster was asking me for a link to support my estimation. Now, the present post may constitute as a link for that.

sir,

1. Why are you posting non defense related post in defense section?

2. Why are u dragging India in this thread which is about BD nothing to do with India?

3. Why are u posting false figure and facts to troll and India Bashing.

thanks

Propaganda of "eastwatch" busted and troll exposed.

Dhaka-Delhi Deal Signed for 1320MW Khulna Plant

Sunday, 21 February 2010

A memorandum of understanding was signed on Saturday between the state-owned power operators of Bangladesh and India for cooperation in the power sector, an official said.

Bangladesh Power Development Board (BPDB) signed the agreement with National Thermal Power Company (NTPC) for assistance to set up a coal-fired power plant, develop human resources and in renovate old plants in Bangladesh, a BPDB official told bdnews24.com.

Power secretary Abul Kalam Azad led the Bangladesh side in the secretary-level talks of the Joint Steering Committee on Power Sector, which agreed on the cooperation on Friday.

Indian power secretary, HS Brahma, signed for his side.

Two MoUs regarding cross-border grid connectivity were signed Friday night.

The committee also reached an understanding on building a 1320MW coal-fired power plant in Khulna (2X660MW) at an approximate cost of $ 1.8 billion.

The latest agreements came during the secretary-level talks in Dhaka, to thrash out the modalities of power cooperation, after a summit meeting in Delhi last month between the two heads of governments that pledged more power cooperation.

According to the MoU signed Saturday, BPDB and NTPC will equally share the ownership of the plant, which will be managed by NTPC.

The procurement process will be launched in July and the plant completed within 3 years, if the feasibility studies and land acquisition process are done immediately.

As part of the cooperation, NTPC will assist in feasibility studies of some other proposed coal-based power plants.

It will also assist in development of skills among Bangladeshi power officials.

Meanwhile, NPTC will also undertake technical renovation and tuning of existing plants that have lost generation capacity.

BPDB will allow NTPC for renovation in such a plant, while the number will be increased, if successful, vigorously after preparing a list of such plants.

In this context, the power secretary said, "Discipline in financial activities will be assured strictly."

Dhaka-Delhi Deal Signed for 1320MW Khulna Plant

Eastwatch in his post has said India is offering 900MW capacity at Khulna power plants at a cost of US$1780 million.

But in reality the correct figure is 1320MW not 900 MW as falsely stated by eastwatch.

eastwatch has knowingly put wrong figures and under reported 420 MW so that he can prove that India is offering very high prices.

Which is false and its shows his intentions just to troll and spam this decent forum.

I have provided the link of a respected Bangladeshi newspaper for the support of my claim

http://www.independent-bangladesh.c...elhi-deal-signed-for-1320mw-khulna-plant.html

Its good to know that the Bangladesh government is doing something to alleviate the power crisis, but i notice that Bangladesh's peak power demand of 5200 mega watts is just too less. Bangladesh and Pakistan are equal in human population and near equal GDP, but in Pakistan the installed capacity is around 20,000 megawatt and peak production of like 15,000 mega watts. How can the two countries have such a huge difference and doesn't it literally cripple your industry?

I am sorry for misquoting the figures in both in megawatts and its cost in dollars of the Indian offered power plants. I have not gone through the old posts before I have posted the new one, that is why I did the mistakes. I apologise for that.

But, my central view that India-offered power stations are too expensive for BD to even consider it, does not change. The 1320 mw power stations should cost no more than $1,300 million. Do you think BD should accept an offer that costs $500 million more than the normal?

Finally, you will see that the offer will be kept on hanging in the air and it will never materialize if the price tag does not come down to the earth. Whatever the present govt does today, will be scrutinized by the next elected govt and the most dreaded military supported govt in between, the CTG.

Its good to know that the Bangladesh government is doing something to alleviate the power crisis, but i notice that Bangladesh's peak power demand of 5200 mega watts is just too less. Bangladesh and Pakistan are equal in human population and near equal GDP, but in Pakistan the installed capacity is around 20,000 megawatt and peak production of like 15,000 mega watts. How can the two countries have such a huge difference and doesn't it literally cripple your industry?

Most of the factories have their own power generation capacity. I don't know how much power they generate. Factories are connected to National Natural Gas Grid. The last Govt.(BNP) failed to add power.

The Caretaking Govt. initiated a lot of Projects. Some of those are now producing power. Awami League folks are taking all the credits for it ( Politicians are not known to be modest).

AL Admin. wants to add 7,000 MW of power to the grid by 2013, how much of these rhetoric materializes, remains to be seen.

Congrats Bangladeshi bhaiyo. .har power plant ko fuel chahiye.naye power plants me thoda bahot fuel ka intejam karna. .warna bad me bolenge ki india ka power plant nai chalta bina fuel ke.lol

Can you please translate that to English.why the cheer.

Dude...you are the best judge for yourself....See India and its corporate houses want to make business with BD...You should make sure that you get a best deal...I would request you should differentiate between diplomatic politics and economic activity....Diplomatic politics has its won objectives...but economic and trade is always moved ahead with the expectation of profit and benefit....If BD GOV feels that Indian offer is not good then you are welcome..Just go for the best deal...In similar vein...If Indian Corporate house think that doing power plant in BD is not profitable then of course they will move out....

Good news for Bangladesh and her Garment Industry.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom