What's new

New provinces and provincial autonomy

One unit will resolve all problems of colour,race and language , do you agree with it or not ?

Distt Nazim system is sucessfull all over the world , it should be strengthen.

I don't agree.

How will you mark the boundaries between Nazims?
Based on what?

I don't agree.

How will you mark the boundaries between Nazims?
Based on what?

Nazim will be head of a Distt can be established based on equal population .

MNA,MPA shall be representative of 5 Distts.

Do you realize how big a population 5 districts can be? An MNA for 5 districts would mean 25 MNAs. 25 people cannot do legislation for an entire country.

Local governments should exists but not as the only tier of government. They should only be the third tier of government under a second tier government (provincial).

I'm sorry but you have narrowed the debate down to a very non issue here.

This is a suicide mission. Remember yesterday's protests regarding the name of NWFP..
So, if we only divide people based on population than Pakistan will further divide. One should look at every aspect i.e. language, culture, natural resources etc
Anyways, in conclusion I support at least 10 provinces of Pakistan.

Now we will go back to the real topic.

Last edited:
talk of dividng provinces is extermely foolish.

Look what is happening in Abbotababd over renaming of the province and then just think what kind of chaos it would create if there is a nation wide attempt to rename and redraw provincial boundaries.

Politcal parties like MQM see this option as a way to divide up mainly Panjab to somehow reduce the ploitcal standing of the parties like the PML-N.

You need not look too far to see the affects of region based and ethnically motivated politics , just look in neighbouring afghanistan where its always one ethnicty going after the throats of another and its one region ptitted against the other.

talk of dividng provinces is extermely foolish.

Look what is happening in Abbotababd over renaming of the province and then just think what kind of chaos it would create if there is a nation wide attempt to rename and redraw provincial boundaries.

Politcal parties like MQM see this option as a way to divide up mainly Panjab to somehow reduce the ploitcal standing of the parties like the PML-N.

You need not look too far to see the affects of region based and ethnically motivated politics , just look in neighbouring afghanistan where its always one ethnicty going after the throats of another and its one region ptitted against the other.

It is happening because of stupid politics. You should read the thread from the beginning..we are talking on the basis of rationality rather than politics. There are posts by AM, Sparkilingview, Zaki bhai and others...I recommend you to go over that.
You will for sure change your views...

You will find all of the answers in the thread..go over previous pages..

i say firstly pakistan's problem lies with provincial autonomy should be given not formation of new provinces!

however, by forming new provinces one thing will benefit the "traditional" power bases will be diluted! for example currently Punjab & Sindh dominate the politics & economic decision making!

however, our current problem is water,electricity & provincial autonomy! not division into smaller ranks and files!

Hazara, other provinces in the offing: Hashmi

MULTAN: Pakistan Muslim League-N leader Javed Hashmi said Tuesday that nobody could prevent Hazara Division from becoming a separate province now.

Speaking at a Workers Convention here, he warned that anarchy could spread to the country if new provinces were not established. He proposed formation of a national commission to outline a policy for the establishment of new provinces in three to five months.

Hashmi said the 18th Amendment Bill was a historic decision. However, he noted there were few anomalies in the bill.

The PML-N leader said that solution of the country’s challenges was in decentralization, democracy and new provinces.

Hazara, other provinces in the offing: Hashmi

i say firstly pakistan's problem lies with provincial autonomy should be given not formation of new provinces!

however, by forming new provinces one thing will benefit the "traditional" power bases will be diluted! for example currently Punjab & Sindh dominate the politics & economic decision making!

however, our current problem is water,electricity & provincial autonomy! not division into smaller ranks and files!

This was a weak/flawed counter argument. If 10 provinces can effectively utilize their resources and a federal help (if needed) than all of the problems will be solved.

Is it better for one CM (every province) to look over Sindh, Punjab, Balochistan and NWFP or is it better to have couple of CMs?

More provinces will not destabilize Pakistan but it will sure "undermine" the "jis ki lathi us ki cow" of higher offices in Islamabad and Rawalpindi.

Now what do you choose?
Praise your lords in Islamabad/Rawalpindi or praise your country?

Mother of all problems is not religion, India, language, culture, ethics etc..
It is economy and education.
If our economy is strong than we can face any challenge. The economy will get stronger by a good educational structure, faithful leaders, more provinces (less responsibility on individuals) and last but not the least "Working citizens."
We like to criticize the west about everything but see how the people work there. A person working in the west does the work of three people working in Pakistan.

I was working in a moving company (I was the only South Asian there) last year (in high school) we had to move 3 floors of a famous law firm Heenan and Blaikie from one high rise building to another in Downtown Toronto. We were 7 people who moved everything from desks, chairs, cabinets to the files they had. I am sure if it was Pakistan than 15 people would have done the same job.

Anyways, going back to the topic more provinces will surely help us in EVERY darn way.
^^ If politics is kept aside.

Last edited:
Well there are three aspects to it:
1. Smaller areas with lesser population can be easily subjected to good governance.
2. Provincial autonomy is necessary whether there are 5 provinces or 500.
3. Everyone deserves to have an identity, whether its pathans or hazara or saraiki or mohajir. [Look at Holland and Netherlands, Scotland and UK, Quebec and Canada].

Well there are three aspects to it:
1. Smaller areas with lesser population can be easily subjected to good governance.
2. Provincial autonomy is necessary whether there are 5 provinces or 500.
3. Everyone deserves to have an identity, whether its pathans or hazara or saraiki or mohajir. [Look at Holland and Netherlands, Scotland and UK, Quebec and Canada].

NO.
Provinces should not be purely named on identity/ethnic background.
Ontario does not represent any ethnic group or something.
Quebec (French province) was having problems with Ottawa and they demanded separation.
So you can see the pressure on Ottawa...
So, the name of the provinces should be general like Central Punjab or something.
If we name provinces based on ethnicities than we will see a devastating backfire in the future.

Your province is called Saraiki or something like that and my province in called Lahori..
^^ One should not ever think of it.

It is better to have a general and acceptable name so there is no ethnic hatred.

Well don't you think the very names PUNJAB or SINDH or BALOCHISTAN are already representing elasticities. So why should the same right of holding ones ethic identity be denied to others. Then if one wants to be completely neutral the names should be North East Frontier Province for Punjab, South West Frontier Province for Balochistan and South East Frontier Province for Sindh.
Or if one is in favor of smaller provinces then instead of naming them after the elasticities living in there name them as Province 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.

by the way what happened to the idea of 26 provinces in Pakistan? i remember this matter was also discussed in media or parliament couple of years ago

I think a Makrani province along the coastal areas of the Baluchistan province would be a good idea.

The argumenet that smaller provinces will mean more efficency is just flawed , here look at afghanistan and see how many provinces its has:

province_divisions.jpg

having more provinces did not make afghanistan a better governned country its not going to help us. This argument is very stupid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom