What's new

New UK 7.62mmm rifle for Afghanistan

jamal18

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
I saw an article in a paper about a new rifle being sent to British troops in afghanistan. It is not a rifle to replace the sa-8o, but to 'beef' up firepower.

At first I thought it was an entirely new weapon, but it looks like a re-engineered 'SLR' ( FN) with new butt and barrel. It also has a x6 optical eyesight. 400 are being sent.

Apparently the main reason is the 7.62 round, the 5.56 is apparently not effective enough. With modern eye-sights it is possible to hit a target at 600metres, but the 5.56 round is ineffective at that range.

Is this another nail in the coffin of the 5.56mm round?

yes it exisits article i also saw and posted some where in this forum it is from janes article any way it will be great to replace our G 3 which lacks accuracy but this UK one has both firepower and accuracy without compromising G 3 imense bullet power with accuracy will make PA soldier more efective in real war time situation.

The 5.56mm won't be going anywhere as yet, there may well be a version for counter terrorist operations but the 5.56 mm will remain for the mear fact that the SA80-A1 is an accurate rifle and can easily hit targets at upto 400-500 metres. I used to use the LSW - Light support weapon or SA80-A2 which is very accurate upto 800 metres on a 5.56 mm.

The whole reasoning behind it is that a 7.62 mm will kill the enemy straight off. In a conventional war, a 5.56mm round will wound the enemy, but it will take 2 persons to look after him/her, therefore meaning three people short of the front line. Hence this is very good reasoning, and actually does work when you are fighting a conventional war. However, terrorists may not give a damn about injured comrades leaving you facing a 7.62mm round and you firing a 5.56mm which does not have much distance, allowing the enemy to get closer to you whilst you can;t get close to them when you like. Hence why the GPMG is vital to keep the distance between you and them.

PA kindly look for this gun very good for us in waziristan will be

One fact I never considered was the affect of optical eyesights, which are now a part of every new rifle.

Before a soldier would struggle to hit a target at 300 meteres, at which range the 5.56 is still effective, but now it is normal to hit a target at 600 meters, which requires a more powerful round.

Of course there is also the need to overcome body armour.

Back
Top Bottom