What's new

News for Mirage-2000 upgrade

Word is that the upgrade will bring India’s Mirages to the full Mirage 2000v5 Mk 2 standard, including a new RDY-3 radar with greater air-air and air-ground capability, a new all-digital cockpit, and improved electronic warfare systems. These will be tied into a joint tactical information data link system (JTIDS, usually Link 16 compatible but not always), plus helmet-mounted sights for off-bore-sight heat-seeking missiles. As part of the upgrade, the aircraft will also be equipped with MBDA’s Mica family of medium range missiles.

MBDA will probably be unamused by India Defence’s December 2006 description of its wares as “an advanced medium-range missile that is the French counterpart to the more capable American AMRAAM missile.” As DID’s AMRAAM coverage noted, while the MICA’s radar-guided version has mediocre range, it also has a heat-seeking IR version that offers a potent medium range ‘no warning’ targeting option. MICA would replace India’s existing radar-guided Super 350 MRAAM and Magic-II short-range infared missiles, offering better performance and range.

Work on the upgrades would be performed by a French-Indian consortium including Dassault (aircraft manufacturer), Thales (weapons systems integrator), MBDA (missiles) and India’s Hindustan Aeronautics Limited.

That upgrade is way to expensive, for nearly the same price we buy new Mig 29Ks! The best choice is still to replace them by MMRCA, or LCA MK2, cause even with those upg the Mirage won't be more capable as the LCA and definitely not as any MMRCA. It's a good fighter and maybe useful to keep it in second line, but it's time to make the big cut and replace the old stuff (Mig 21, 27, old Jags and Mirage).

advantages for upgradtion :

longer range detection across the spectrum, improved tactical situation awareness, longer range weapon firing against multiple simultaneous targets, weapon stealth and extended operating envelope with the capability to engage ground targets while countering airborne threats

typical border protection mission involving two hours on station will require just two upgraded Mirage-2000 aircraft compared with six current aircraft,"

They are being upgraded to Mirage-9000 level right? (UAE has them)
If yes can anybody find specs on that AC and on current IAF Mirages?

those who say mirage 2000 upgrade is no good...

with that upgrade it will get rafael systems although they wont be 100% as capable at rafael due to the single engine factor they should be pretty good and with that new radar, avionics, ew systems, and rewiring everything, and possibly a new engine it could be comparable to the f-16 block 52.

i mean it costs 40 million a piece to upgrade that's very expensive so some state of the art systems MUST be on there.

and its stupid to replace it with mrca, the m2k is a good a/c that's very proven and with this upgrade it should be on par with j-10b/f-16 blk 50.

i know people will argue j-10b is better blah blah blah but m2k is more reliable, has better electronics, and has been proven only thing j-10 has on it is better performance.

They are being upgraded to Mirage-9000 level right? (UAE has them)
If yes can anybody find specs on that AC and on current IAF Mirages?

hi gabbar ,one thing is for sure that the present mirages are going to be upgraded to Dash-5 standard i.e mirage 2000-5 .Dassault aviation came up with an even better version of dash 5 called mirage 2000-5MK2 which is the most superior mirage till date .. UAE has MIRAGE 2000-9 which is an export version of MK2... whether IAF is going fr dash 5 or dash 9 will have to wait and see till the deal is inked..

Mirages are the favourite AC or IAF, probably after SU30-MKI. IAF holds these AC with very high regards and there has to be very good reason behing that kind of price. There has to be reason.........otherwise it does not add up. We are missing something here.

i think the above link i posted is not taking it to the correct place..however i have the file with me now...however it is difficuilt to attach a file... i will try on this

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

does anybody know how to attach a pdf or word file....it it possible... i have the mirage 2000-9 specs

advantages for upgradtion :

longer range detection across the spectrum, improved tactical situation awareness, longer range weapon firing against multiple simultaneous targets, weapon stealth and extended operating envelope with the capability to engage ground targets while countering airborne threats

typical border protection mission involving two hours on station will require just two upgraded Mirage-2000 aircraft compared with six current aircraft,"
Longer range detection than LCA MK2 with Elta 2052 AESA?
Longer range weapon firing? Mica around 60 Km range, Astra 80 Km, R77 100+ Km.
No idea what exactly makes that upgrade so expensive though it offers not so much of latest techs?
those who say mirage 2000 upgrade is no good...
with that upgrade it will get rafael systems
What systems should that be? No RBE 2 AESA, I also don't heard about Spectra EWS, or OSF for Mirage. I think the only similarity will be on weapon side (Mica, Exocet, maybe AASM), but except of AASM there is nothing IAF would need badly.
Please don't forget we are only talking about ~50 aircrafts! It will be way better just to add 50 more to LCA MK2, or MMRCA, as to keep another totally different type of aircraft (with different radar, engine and spares) in the AF.

think the above link i posted is not taking it to the correct place..however i have the file with me now...however it is difficuilt to attach a file... i will try on this

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 PM ----------

does anybody know how to attach a pdf or word file....it it possible... i have the mirage 2000-9 specs

check the mirage 2000-9 specs i have uploaded in the below link

Mirage_2000-9_specs.pdf

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

sancho sir
pls check above link i posted it contains the whole 2000-9 specs...and thats why it is costly

Back
Top Bottom