No network in Nathula so jawans borrow phones from Chinese soldiers

chauism

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
No network in Nathula so jawans borrow phones from Chinese soldiers

Hello, Hindi Chini Bhai Bhai

Anil Sasi

The telecom revolution may have networked the length and breadth of the country but it hasn’t quite touched jawans at the China border at Nathula who are forced to borrow handsets from their Chinese counterparts on the other side of the fence to stay in touch with their families.

This was the startling discovery made by members of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Information Technology during a study visit to Nathula Pass in July last year. The Committee’s tour notes record this: “The Army personnel during the deliberations brought the attention of the Committee to poor telecom connectivity at Nathula. The Committee expressed unhappiness to learn from the jawans that they have to borrow the handsets from the jawans posted in the borders on the other side to remain in touch with their family members.”

Several private players have a presence in Sikkim but these are focused on Gangtok and adjoining areas with state-owned BSNL being the only major service provider near the Nathula outpost. However, procurement of mobile towers and telephone exchanges by BSNL for deployment near the army camp has been delayed, “For the last four years, purchase orders have not been placed,”said a BSNL official. The House panel asked BSNL to fast-track the purchase but nothing has moved so far.

Nathula in Sikkim’s East district is one of the three open trading border posts between China and India. Agreements limit trade across Nathula to 29 types of goods from India and 15 from the Chinese side after it was reopened in 2006.
People please do not troll here, this article shows that friendly attitude soldiers show to their counterpart across the fence.
http://m.indianexpress.com/news/no-network-in-nathula-so-jawans-borrow-phones-from-chinese-soldiers/945976/

I just found out, and I am more than embarassed by the behaviors of some Chinese members.
Only two Chinese members there including me,what behaviors make you embarassed?
You should know that there is high walls at Nathula not just fence there firstly then to talk about friendly attitude.

I guess, people who knows the real aspects of a war has a total different attitude towards their adversaries. A point to note for verbal warmongers like us.

I think the Indian not paying the call fee too!:cheesy:

When I went to Nathu La in around 2007, I had snapped my photo with a young Chinese soldier, who may have been about 20 years old. Then I gave him a packet of biscuits. He was not able to speak English, but he was able to say "thank you". There is a low barbed wire across which Indians and Chinese can shake hands. The Chinese soldiers are also willing to exchange currency, taking Indian rupees and giving Yuan.

But borrowing phones by Indian soldiers should be strictly forbidden by the Indian Army. It is a security risk.

i want to know what you are worried about?
When I went to Nathu La in around 2007, I had snapped my photo with a young Chinese soldier, who may have been about 20 years old. Then I gave him a packet of biscuits. He was not able to speak English, but he was able to say "thank you". There is a low barbed wire across which Indians and Chinese can shake hands. The Chinese soldiers are also willing to exchange currency, taking Indian rupees and giving Yuan.

But borrowing phones by Indian soldiers should be strictly forbidden by the Indian Army. It is a security risk.

BAD OR GOOD, it shows the world that we are in no mood for war and both CHINA and INDIA are interested in developing economic ties and a good understanding of each other to improve futher mutual respect.

War mongers can piss off now.

aray bhai, international call rates kia hain China/India kay????

Only two Chinese members there including me,what behaviors make you embarassed?
You should know that there is high walls at Nathula not just fence there firstly then to talk about friendly attitude.
High walls?? What are you talking about???? This is not Berlin.

There, I was embarassed because some Chinese members just have to bring hatre into a perfectly friendly article.

Have you seen the movie <<Joint Security Area>>??? Friendship can exist between soldiers even their countries are the worst enemies. It doesn't matter how India preceive China in their eyes, at least India is not really on China's top enemy list there.

Foreign military getting to know the home phone numbers of soldiers is certainly a bad idea.
borrow phones is not necessary. best way is buy chinese 3G sim card and put in own mobilphone. and install software such as skype in smartphone. and use skype to call home. it is much cheaper and safer for india soldiers....

Back
Top Bottom