What's new

No Pakistani General has ever succeeded; not will Asim Munir!

The point isn’t to succeed. The point is to do a mini reset once in a while. By breaking the flow of successive democratic governments, they weaken the chance of proper democracy ever taking shape. Democracy itself isn’t perfect and takes a long time to come to fruition. With constant trials each nation gets a chance to test out different parties and officials. If you break that in between, then you are back to square one.

How? If the ports (and other assets being sold) are not more productive with the investment, they will end up like the CPEC projects; underutilized and not turning a profit, but actually slowing down natural growth.

The revenue cannot be guaranteed, otherwise we would have easily been able to pay back the CPEC loans. Only the international customers buying Pakistani products will determine what revenues Pakistan can generate.

Along with the investment the investors will have to line up ways for the privatized enterprises to earn revenues, but these may come at the expense of long held national interests.

UAE based investors (with ties to India) may ask Pakistan to do certain thing or not do certain things that potentially undermine national sovereignty, and undermine the viability of our other industrial enterprises by favoring the source of key parts of our industries from India, making us beholden to them for basic needs.

An alternative is asking if there is an alternative way to seek $10 billion a year in investment from the diaspora and finding our what their demands would be (beyond just elections). It could be a virtuous cycle, where the profits are not withdrawn from the country but reinvest over and over again. This also does not prevent GCC investment, but gives the Pakistani government more leverage to negotiate better terms for the investment they want to make, such as instead of PIA being completely sold off, it could be made a partner budget airline of a GCC carrier like Qatar Airways.

It also doesn’t have to be rocket science. Overseas Pakistani investing in their own agricultural land to increase crop yields, or buying out IPPs to renegotiate power prices and being compensated by the government with land in desirable places to form residential apartment blocks in a walkable, clean, lively, and secure neighborhood (something like Barcelona and not massive skyscrapers).
Read the news in Pakistani media and connect the dots. Who is guaranteeing the stake holders and lenders ?

Last edited:
I disagree. General Zia and General Musharraf were far better rulers than any "Democracy" rulers
Asim Munir is a psychopath
Zia for sure, mushy was a midget and a coward who resurrected the careers of the biggest thugs, looters and thieves.

Read the news in Pakistani media and connect the dots. Who is guaranteeing the stake holders and lenders ?

If they want to take on the elite capture, can’t hurt to try, it will save the next democratic government the hassle.

Honest question, what’s the timeline these actions are expected to be accomplished within? When should we expect to see results?

Simple question.

Why would Arabs give $25bn each ($25bn total for that matter)?

Is it because Pakistan has agreed to sell its strategic assets in exchange? Because from a purely investment point of view, I do not see anything worthwhile in Pakistan that would interest the Arabs.

Bajwa tried and claimed the same. Sorry not buying it. I have seen this movie before

Simple question.

Is it because Pakistan has agreed to sell its strategic assets in exchange? Because from a purely investment point of view, I do not see anything worthwhile in Pakistan that would interest the Arabs.
The money won't come from MBS' pocket or even the Saudi budget. It will be individual companies making the decisions and they will invest based on the commercial terms offered. For example, if the right to PIA routes is sold at an attractive valuation, then some Gulf airline will buy.
Pakistan was not an attractive destination even when the IPP agreements were signed , but 12-15% dollar returns backed by governl.ent guarantees were attractive. If the price is attractive enough, even Indian companies will like to invest .

Simple question.

Transfer of Nukes and its tech

If they want to take on the elite capture, can’t hurt to try, it will save the next democratic government the hassle.

Honest question, what’s the timeline these actions are expected to be accomplished within? When should we expect to see results?
I’m not sure of timeline but army is securing loans through foreign funding as civil government had no value in their eyes.

This is the issue now. Army is supposed to start operations against TTP and BLA, but COAS is acting as guarantor for loans and aid. And already taking credit for saving the country through economic crisis this way. What about the the other way - the fighting way ?

And I’m dreading that SS or next PM might give extension to COAS based on these “accomplishments”.

I’m not sure of timeline but army is securing loans through foreign funding as civil government had no value in their eyes.

This is the issue now. Army is supposed to start operations against TTP and BLA, but COAS is acting as guarantor for loans and aid. And already taking credit for saving the country through economic crisis this way. What about the the other way - the fighting way ?

And I’m dreading that SS or next PM might give extension to COAS based on these “accomplishments”.
So it’s not investment, it’s loans? :undecided: If it were investment the investors would be sharing in the risk. What’s to guarantee these loans will turn a profit? Aren’t we just borrowing on a new credit card to pay back an old credit card and kicking the can down the road?

What economists are they going to get to manage these projects to make sure they are successful? Also, new increases in tax, especially on SMEs will take away from their ability to invest in the enterprises and maintain the levels of employment. Why not have economists come up with ways to incentivize these SMEs to invest in modernizing their equipment (equipment that could be made by other Pakistani companies).

As for fighting the TTP and BLA, wouldn’t a mix of better policing and investment into disproportionately larger investment into underdeveloped areas (to help catch them up with national standards) be a more sustainable approach. For year many of us have been saying the FC guys need MRAPS, even used excess defense article MRAPs from the US (Pakistan is still technically a Major non-nato ally).

Also, Can’t there be a rule that no matter what, no one can get an extension.

Back
Top Bottom