Hindustani78

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
India
Last Updated: Saturday, May 9, 2015 - 11:14
North Korea says test-fired submarine-launched ballistic missile | Zee News

355306-korea700.jpg

Seoul: North Korea said Saturday it had successfully test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) -- a technology that could eventually offer the nuclear-armed state a survivable second-strike capability.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un, who personally oversaw the test, hailed the newly developed missile as a "world-level strategic weapon", according to a report by the official KCNA news agency.

There was no immediate independent confirmation of the test, which would violate UN sanctions banning Pyongyang from using ballistic missile technology.

A fully-developed SLBM capability would take the North Korean nuclear threat to a new level, allowing deployment far beyond the Korean peninsula and the potential to retaliate in the event of a nuclear attack.

Satellite images earlier this year had shown the conning tower of a new North Korean submarine, which US analysts said appeared to house one or two vertical launch tubes for either ballistic or cruise missiles.

The same analysts from the US-Korea Institute at Johns Hopkins University said at the time that developing an operational SLBM capability would be extremely costly and likely take North Korea "years" to achieve"If this is what North Korea claims it is, then it has come much sooner than anyone expected," said Dan Pinkston, Korea expert at the International Crisis Group in Seoul.

"An SLBM capability would certainly increase the credibility of the North`s retaliatory threat, but I`d like to see what foreign intel says about this test," Pinkston said.

According to the KCNA report, the test was carried out by a sub that dived to launch depth on the sounding of a combat alarm.

"After a while, the ballistic missile soared into the sky from underwater," the agency said.

It gave no detail of the size or range, nor did it specify when or where the launch was carried out.

Pictures released by KCNA showed a missile firing out of the water, with Kim Jong-Un watching from a boat in the foreground.

Red lettering on the side of the missile read "bukgeungsong," meaning "north star" or "polaris".

North Korea has been known to doctor military photos, and the validity of the KCNA pictures could not immediately be verified.The agency quoted Kim Jong-Un as saying the Korean military now possessed a "world-level strategic weapon capable of striking and wiping out in any waters the hostile forces infringing upon (North Korea`s) sovereignty and dignity."

The test was an "eye-opening success" on a par with North Korea`s successful launch of a satellite into orbit in 2012, Kim said.

The satellite launch was condemned by the international community as a disguised ballistic missile test and resulted in a tightening of UN sanctions.

While there is no doubt that the North has been running an active ballistic missile development programme, expert opinion is split on just how much progress it has made.

The North has yet to conduct a test showing it has mastered the re-entry technology required for an effective intercontinental ballistic missile.

There are also competing opinions on whether the North has the ability to miniaturise a nuclear device that would fit onto a delivery missile.

North Korea`s small submarine fleet is comprised of largely obsolete Soviet-era and modified Chinese vessels, but suggestions that it was experimenting with a marine-based missile system have been around for a while.

The South Korean Defence Ministry cited intelligence reports last September that Pyongyang was understood to be developing a vertical missile launch tube for submarine use.

Ministry officials said the North`s 3,000-ton Golf-class submarine could be modified to fire medium-range ballistic missiles.

AFP

This is game changing, with one of the largest submarine fleets in the world even if they are outdated, this would give a lot of Punching power to Korean navy.

Shouldnt the missile coming out of water vertically and then turning but it looks like this one is coming out diagonally is that even possible?

Photo shopped. What can you expect from an impoverished failed state.

Regrettably no, it's not photoshopped:

For the moment, South Korean officials are reading Friday’s test as one focused primarily on SLBM ejection. An ejection test would suggest that the missile’s efficacy at range and precision were not the primary focus of the test. Instead, the North Korean military was likely more interested in the Polaris-1′s ability to successfully clear the surface of the water with adequate thrust. South Korean officials estimate that the missile flew for just 100 meters above the surface.

A First: North Korea Tests ‘Polaris-1′ SLBM | The Diplomat

The bad news? They successfully tested an SLBM. The good news? It's hardly mature enough to fly any distance, with any payload or any accuracy.

Shouldnt the missile coming out of water vertically and then turning but it looks like this one is coming out diagonally is that even possible?

It looks as it should, here's a D5 for comparison:

Trident_II_missile_image.jpg

And an older B3:

ugm-73a-2.jpg

An A3 too:

Polaris.JPG

missile3a.jpg

And a JL-1

JL-1-SLBM-2S.jpg

Its surfacing and orientation are consistent with known SLBM characteristics.

And since all we have are stills, we are hardly in a position to say what it did or didn't do, it could have left the water like this:

Staying so near the launching point is so dangerous, I dont think Kim is so brave and confident in their technology, and whats more, North Korea Media is known to have the bad habit of using PS. In fact I doubt whether they have commanded such technology, if they have tried before, US must have discovered it.
For North Korea nothing is impossible, for example their rocket technology is at least far more advanced than their southern neighbor

Staying so near the launching point is so dangerous, I dont think Kim is so brave and confident in their technology, and whats more, North Korea Media is known to have the bad habit of using PS. In fact I doubt whether they have commanded such technology, if they have tried before, US must have discovered it.

For North Korea nothing is impossible, for example their rocket technology is at least far more advanced than their southern neighbor

I wouldn't say that Seoul has weaker capacity, you do have to consider their own KAMD, they have PAC-2 GEMs, as well as SM-2 Block IIIA & Bs.

Don't underestimate the South Koreans' capability.

Not to mention they soon will have the THAADs.... ;)

THAAD-Launch.jpg

I may disagree with South Korean politics, but never, ever do we Japanese underestimate the South Koreans' military and defense capabilities. They are impressive in their own right.

Oh, no way, comrade Kim, you are seriously threaten your brothers, Japanese and Yankees. :what::bunny::bunny:

Need some guided rockets?:woot:

Your government exaggerated the threat from DPRK for reasons and you...

Stupid comments.

Think of it this way, North Korean total population is the same as Greater Tokyo's. Lol. Japan fearing a diminutive failed state? LOL!

We fear not a former colony.

Don't underestimate the South Koreans' capability.
Let us get something straight...

On this forum...Whenever people 'underestimate' the US and/or our allies, they do so NOT because they have any of their own military experience to serve as foundation for their 'analysis' and/or opinions because even experienced generals/admirals make the same mistakes, but rather because they just want to make fun of US and/or our allies.

Simple as that.

An estimation is about taking in as much as possible all available technical intelligence about the subject matter, one's own experience, and solicit opinions of others in the same subject matter which includes those from the opposition. Very few people here have the intellectual courage to do the last item, let alone willing to spend a few hrs reading whatever publicly available information about the subject matter, and least of all be able to draw upon personal experience.

From that perspective, it is better to laugh at these 'analysis' and to agree with them rather than wasting one's time and blood sugar trying to change the person's mind. That does not mean silence is always the preferred choice, especially when there are genuine technical violations involved, but that any rebuttal should be focused on the non-participating readers and not on the person who is just barely out of his teens, never been outside of his province, and too scared of even basic military training.

When it comes to military affairs, those who have served love to be underestimated. Generals and admirals are great at putting on shows of their consternation whenever a potential adversary present forth a new weapon with its accompanying claims of destruction. For the military in general, there is no chance of recovery from the mistake of underestimating one's adversary because there is only on time to prove the country's mettle -- war.

The US military love to be underestimated and most of our allies' militaries have learned to do the same. I have some experience with the ROK Marines and JASDF F-15 people. So based upon my own personal military experience and my own research on the military oriented matters in Asia, if there is going to be a shooting war in Asia, Japan and South Korea are going to bust out their cans of 'whoop-@ss' when people least expected it.

Ah, it really hurts, not the SLBM but the pride.

I will point out if your gov exaggerate the threat from DPRK again. :D Oh wait, the THAAD thing is totally bullshit by your logic. How ridiculous and hypocratical.

You could continue your statement and acctually I have no interesting to this issue and I.stop here.

The South Koreans need the THAAD for their defense against North Korea.

As for Japan, we can pulverize the North Koreans if we so deem it.

Back
Top Bottom