What's new

Norwegian mountaineer walks over dying Pakistani guide in pursuit of K2 summit record, video sparks outrage

Part of the excitement is the danger. If you 'standardize' it and make a 'profession' of it, it no longer becomes an adventure. It will be a business, like travel or cruise industry. Somebody can build a helipad or ropeway to the top and then even I and you can go, if the price is not too steep.

A simple hike to the base camp at k2 can cost upto thousands of dollars

The poor Pakistani is drawn to the lure and charm of foreign currency and foreigners laden with that treasure. Can't really blame those without the means to serve those with means.

Illegal Detention :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

It is an illegal detention. 200 cases LOL You guys are crazy. No wonder your country is in the state it is.

Makes no sense that she'd do it on purpose. What a "civilized" reaction to send death threats without a proper investigation.

Makes no sense that she'd do it on purpose. What a "civilized" reaction to send death threats without a proper investigation.

Have you even looked at the video?

There is actual proof. These 50 mountaineers are walking over his dead body. Ignoring the dying man. Humiliating him. Is this what you term civilized?

Why aren't you sharing your location? I want to see your flags.

@waz How are some members not revealing their location when this is one of the forum rules?

Last edited:

There is actual proof. These 50 mountaineers are walking over his dead body. Ignoring the dying man. Humiliating him. Is this what you term civilized?

@waz How are some members not revealing their location when this is one of the forum rules?
This is not uncommon in high altitude mountaineering where the goal is not to die. Those already dead are, sadly, ignored, left behind and even walked over, since if you try walking around it, you may drop down a thousand feet and die.

This is not uncommon in high altitude mountaineering where the goal is not to die. Those already dead are, sadly, ignored, left behind and even walked over, since if you try walking around it, you may drop down a thousand feet and die.

They could have and should have saved the guy. He was still breathing. You realise that they left him to die and stepped over his body while he was breathing his last gasps. That is incredibly disrespectful.

The point is that these so-called mountaineers aren't even professional climbers. These are nasty people obsessed with commercial climbing and earning fake records. They pay incredible amounts of money to climb such majestic peaks. This has very little to do with the actual sport of climbing. These animals have zero regard for human life. They are also not interested in mountaineering except the commercial aspect.

Like so many things in Pakistan, the state should have intervened and stopped commercial climbers. In the end it is all about money. Whether a poor sherpa dies in the process is just a normal occurrence in Pakistan. It sums up the state of Pakistan in a nutshell.

Last edited:
They could have and should have saved the guy. He was still breathing. You realise that they left him and stepped over his body while he was dying. That is incredibly disrespectful.

The point is that these so-called mountaineers aren't even professional climbers. These are nasty people obsessed with commercial climbing and earning fake records. They pay incredible amounts of money to climb such majestic peaks.
Yes, this whole business of commercial mountaineering is ugly. It is causing tons of trash (that doesn't degrade due to lack of oxygen) to be accumulated on the routes. Those who walked over him might not have realized he is still alive and presumed it is just yet another dead body strewn around. Unfortunately, the countries where these peaks are located need money and don't want to do anything that may reduce the number of climbers.

“Here egoism has triumphed and empathy has died”

Anyone who knows something about mountaineering knows Reinhold Messner. A legend in the world of mountaineering. If you can understand German listen to his harsh words for the commercial climbers.

Let's be real. People don't really care about South Asians and Africans. Their death is seen as less disrupting and more tolerable than the passing of a White person or Eastern Asian.

Yes, partly it's blatant racism. However, respect is not given, it is earned.

Many foreigners won't respect us if we don't respect each other in the first place. So, it's partly our fault, too.

Let's be real. People don't really care about South Asians and Africans. Their death is seen as less disrupting and more tolerable than the passing of a White person or Eastern Asian.

Many foreigners won't respect us if we don't respect each other in the first place. So, it's partly our fault, too.

This is where the fault lies with the climbing authorities and the state. Tourist and commercial climbers should not be allowed to climb the highest peaks of the world. If they are allowed, porters should also be insured against calamities with money paid by such part-time climbers.

Remember that the Norwegian lady is long gone after setting the egoistic record. She won't be supporting the family of the dead Pakistani. The family is left with a dead body who was responsible for feeding mouths.

Last edited:

Valid point.

One must learn to respect and value themselves for others to do the same. And one must develop themselves to be worthy of respect.

Valid point.

One must learn to respect and value themselves for others to do the same. And one must develop themselves to be worthy of respect.

So until then white folks are allowed to ridicule and mock normal Pakistanis? This is a very flawed way of thinking. Wrong needs to be called out and the Norwegian lady needs to be told bluntly that she and her team of mountaineers behaved like a bunch of soulless pigs.

This is where the fault lies with the climbing authorities and the state. Tourist and commercial climbers should be vetted before they are allowed to climb the highest peaks of the world.
I don't even understand why the authorities let her leave Pakistan before her case was cleared. If a foreigner behaved like this in the West, he or she would've been let go AFTER serving a jail sentence.

Yes, this whole business of commercial mountaineering is ugly. It is causing tons of trash (that doesn't degrade due to lack of oxygen) to be accumulated on the routes. Those who walked over him might not have realized he is still alive and presumed it is just yet another dead body strewn around. Unfortunately, the countries where these peaks are located need money and don't want to do anything that may reduce the number of climbers.

Poor man's tale. Exploited everywhere he goes. Including his own land.

I don't even understand why the authorities let her leave Pakistan before her case was cleared. If a foreigner behaved like this in the West, he or she would've been let go AFTER serving a jail sentence.

That is a good question. We all know why she was allowed to leave. She paid a handsome amount of money to climb K2. In Pakistan money triumphs over people. This is the case in almost all third world nations. Pakistan is essentially a third world country where rule of law takes a back seat. People with money and power can walk away scott free.

Yes. She is telling her side of the story. I still don't see how it justifies making death threats. How uncivilized can we get? This requires a formal investigation.

And I can't display my flags because I don't the right control settings to do those. Why am I being interrogated like a suspicious foreigner just because I don't agree with people's barberic reactions to this?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom