What's new

Not a Single Unit of Honda Civic Sold during March 2023 in Pakistan

Chinese cars came to Turkey in 2010s and they failed miserably. They are trying to come back now but there's no market for them.
We drive strictly European and Japanese cars. Most sold car is actually Fiat Egea. It's made in Turkey.

Here's a little tour of the factory:

Thanks for the video and information.

Fiat does great in the EU generally - that much I knew.

Good for Turkey Automobile industry that you are assembling FIATs.

In the US - FIAT faced some sales headwinds and had to exit the market in large measure but left the 500e to be sold as a specialty electric vehicle.

It all depends on local parts and maintenance support I guess.

The only complaint about Chinese SUVs I heard in Dhaka was that fuel economy was not so great. But Dhaka is not a large town (10 KM from end to end if that), so this is a moot point.

You missed the point on why people buy cars or SUVs in the subcontinent as opposed to in Turkey, EU or US.

Better fuel economy and handling is not the impetus for buying them.

Having prestige and show-off (as much as can be gained) is.....

An MBZ/Audi/Range Rover or even Maybach nameplate is cherry on top of the cake.
Well then you could buy a luxury sedan like Audi A7 or Merc. S Class

But I do realize that there's a shift towards SUVs and crossovers

Thanks for the video and information.

Fiat does great in the EU generally - that much I knew.

Good for Turkey Automobile industry that you are assembling FIATs.

In the US - FIAT faced some sales headwinds and had to exit the market in large measure but left the 500e to be sold as a specialty electric vehicle.

It all depends on local parts and maintenance support I guess.

The only complaint about Chinese SUVs I heard in Dhaka was that fuel economy was not so great. But Dhaka is not a large town (10 KM from end to end if that), so this is a moot point.
Not quite assembly, factory is half owned by the Turkish Koç group, and as you can see in that video everything, even the dies are made in that factory

And poor fuel economy would kill any car brand in Turkey :) we REALLY care about that

Last edited:
Should be happy that Suzuki-Toyota-Honda monopoly is finally breaking eventually.

Civic is PKR 8,599,000 for the base variant Standard to PKR 10,199,000 for the top of the line RS variant. Public has better choices now.

When Civic was around Rs 4 million+, public was going towards Rs 5 million+ SUVs (Kia mostly).

The ones who wanted fuel economy in Pakistan went for smaller Japanese cares in 660cc category or 1000cc ones. Hybrids were mostly expensive.

One more shift was public didnt like heavy engines in cars even, 1300 was considered enough but it was civic which shifted people towards 1800cc and then even Toyota stopped 1300cc engine Corollas, however SUVs with 2000cc engine are roaming roads of Pakistan now.

Very good to know. Bangladesh is a small place and roads in main towns and cities are very congested, all unlike Pakistan. Avg. speed does not exceed 10 MPH with 1 hour jams in Dhaka being quite common. Large engines are a waste unless they come attached with a luxury vehicle.

Last time I was in Dhaka - I did not see a lot of Mehran, Cultus or Swift size vehicles, which I think use the 660 cc (Kei class) engines. Bangladesh generally has a lot less ownership per capita of cars compared to Pakistan, so smaller cars are not common. Because of jams people in that price range buy motorcycles instead, and sales of those have skyrocketed.

Refurbished Japanese domestic market 1500cc Toyota Premios and Allions are very common. Prices range from around BDT 2,500,000 to BDT 3,500,000, depending on the model year, mileage, engine size, and level of equipment and features. These are a little larger than a Corolla - but smaller than a Camry and are the mainstay of the personal owner and rental (UBER etc.) market in Bangladesh. Earlier in history they were known as the Toyota Corona and Carina, respectively. These have engines below 1500cc displacement because of the duty regime (lowest duty which is 300%). I am guessing there is no such duty in Pakistan.

Both Premios and Allions have been discontinued in favor of the Corolla model in the Toyota lineup.

Toyota Allion/Premio 2016 model
iu

Well then you could buy a luxury sedan like Audi A7 or Merc. S Class

But I do realize that there's a shift towards SUVs and crossovers

Not quite assembly, factory is half owned by the Turkish Koç group, and as you can see in that video everything, even the dies are made in that factory

And poor fuel economy would kill any car brand in Turkey :) we REALLY care about that

Yup I will go back and watch the video in full. If you make dies for body panels and use robotics to assemble panels it is no longer just assembly. :-)

Why doesn't the Koç group-owned factory explore selling this model in Bangladesh? If the EGEA or EGEA Cross Model is well priced (say under Tk 4,500,000) it will sell really well. This is including the 300% tax.

Continental Motor I believe is the FIAT Dealer in Bangladesh, they also sell most Luxury brands.

Last edited:
Does Pakistan have good roads to handle the Honda Civic ? I see the cities with good roads. Not sure of the roads in rural areas. The Civic is a good car. It requires paved roads with no potholes

Potholes? You should visit Pakistan someday. Generally roads, motorways and Highways in Pakistan are some of the best in the subcontinent, not to mention some of the most scenic. Probably better than most rural places in the US.

image-10-6-1024x640.jpg

image-2-1-5-1024x640.jpg

iu

Days of potholes on roads are going to be gone from Bangladesh as well...

iu

iu

Last edited:
Military junta do not give $hit about economy as long their economy is blossoming and their installed stooges keep allotting them farm land and allowing sales tax free bullet proof beemers for their valuable families.

1681011506273.jpeg

بنگلہ دیش میں 32 لاکھ خواتین فیکٹریوں میں کام کرتی ہیں اور پاکستان میں 51 لاکھ خواتین بے نظیر انکم سپورٹ احساس پروگرام آٹے اور پیسوں کے لئے لائن میں لگی ہوتی ہیں
قومیں خیرات سے نہیں محنت سے عظیم بنتی ہیں۔۔۔

Very good to know. Bangladesh is a small place and roads in main towns and cities are very congested, all unlike Pakistan. Avg. speed does not exceed 10 MPH with 1 hour jams in Dhaka being quite common. Large engines are a waste unless they come attached with a luxury vehicle.

Last time I was in Dhaka - I did not see a lot of Mehran, Cultus or Swift size vehicles, which I think use the 660 cc (Kei class) engines. Bangladesh generally has a lot less ownership per capita of cars compared to Pakistan, so smaller cars are not common. Because of jams people in that price range buy motorcycles instead, and sales of those have skyrocketed.

Refurbished Japanese domestic market 1500cc Toyota Premios and Allions are very common. Prices range from around BDT 2,500,000 to BDT 3,500,000, depending on the model year, mileage, engine size, and level of equipment and features. These are a little larger than a Corolla - but smaller than a Camry and are the mainstay of the personal owner and rental (UBER etc.) market in Bangladesh. Earlier in history they were known as the Toyota Corona and Carina, respectively. These have engines below 1500cc displacement because of the duty regime (lowest duty which is 300%). I am guessing there is no such duty in Pakistan.

Both Premios and Allions have been discontinued in favor of the Corolla model in the Toyota lineup.

Toyota Premio 2016 model
iu

Yup I will go back and watch the video in full. If you make dies for body panels and use robotics to assemble panels it is no longer just assembly. :-)

Why doesn't the Koch-owned factory explore selling this model in Bangladesh? If the EGEA or EGEA Cross Model is well priced (say under Tk 4,500,000) it will sell really well. This is including the 300% tax.

Continental Motor I believe is the FIAT Dealer in Bangladesh, they also sell most Luxury brands.

Premio was imported to Pakistan along with Mark-II and Mark-X, however later the smaller japanese cars took over. On the Honda side the CL-7 and CL-9 Accords arrived. Camry is not common in Pakistan, neither is Accord, I think merc C-series are more common. Those who kept mark-X liked it, the 2.5 and 3.0 L categories. The new workhorse of Toyota is Yaris Sedan, which has become expensive too.

I think Kia and Hyundai SUVs are a better option considering their affordable prices opposite to cotemporary sedans like Civic and Corolla. Its just a great feeling to see people deviating from the big -3 (Suzuki/Honda/Toyota).

Potholes? You should visit Pakistan someday. Generally roads, motorways and Highways in Pakistan are some of the best in the subcontinent, not to mention some of the most scenic. Probably better than most rural places in the US.

image-10-6-1024x640.jpg

image-2-1-5-1024x640.jpg

iu
Nawaz and Shehbaz concentrated on Motorways, under passes and overhead passes :laugh:

However, I see lesser traffic congestion every time I visit Lahore unless there is some event going on.

Because they are lighter? Have better fuel economy? Better handling on roads?
In Pakistan we call it "Taika" in Punjab or "Bharam" in Karachi and adjoining areas. A business partner went directly from a Civic to a Sorento and he weeps whenever he goes to the gas station 🤭.

Fuel economy has nothing to do with it.

View attachment 923847
بنگلہ دیش میں 32 لاکھ خواتین فیکٹریوں میں کام کرتی ہیں اور پاکستان میں 51 لاکھ خواتین بے نظیر انکم سپورٹ احساس پروگرام آٹے اور پیسوں کے لئے لائن میں لگی ہوتی ہیں
قومیں خیرات سے نہیں محنت سے عظیم بنتی ہیں۔۔۔
Rent seeking is Pakistans national hobby and it has resulted in 0 productivity as you can see by the export data. Establishment and its cronies just love it when the poor man has to beg for free food and they will keep things as is.

Is this going to lead to pent up demand or has the economic situation caused a cut to demand, with more people unable to afford cars, even if the economy recovers?

under half that money you can get used cars like e60 with a v8!!! Civic`s price akes it uncompetitive!

lol what?

Agreed, Civic is a nice car. It's not without competition. I'm quite fond of Toyota's offerings but I don't like the way they implement the CVT transmission.

Anyway you have to know nothing about cars to criticize the japanese brands on build quality. They are literally the best at it.

i know a guy who bring cars into pakistan and have the guys paid off by giving them a cheap car and they let it thru. then the guy sell it for fortunate the guy now owns a restaurant and diggers tractors etc.

Why doesn't the Koç group-owned factory explore selling this model in Bangladesh? If the EGEA or EGEA Cross Model is well priced (say under Tk 4,500,000) it will sell really well. This is including the 300% tax.

I don't know, they are exporting to a lot of countries. Turkish automotive sector is very export oriented. For example this same TOFAŞ factory is exporting Doblo model light commercial vehicle or MPV under RAM brand to USA.

Last edited:
No loans

Pakistan is running without foreign aid and loans for the first time in its history

It’s quite an achievement but at the same time of course sales would be slow

Back
Top Bottom