What's new

NZ TV host's 'India-racism-slur' could affect FTA between two nations

challenger

BANNED
Reaction score
NZ TV host's 'India-racism-slur' could affect FTA between two nations: Kiwi diplomat - Oneindia News

Wellington, Oct 11 (ANI): Raga D'silva, deputy chairman of the India New Zealand Business Council, has warned that the TVNZ presenter Paul Henry's 'racist' comments against New Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit could have a negative impact on negotiations for a free trade agreement between both the countries.

D'silva urged the New Zealand government to take right approach to deal with the situation.

"Our diplomatic leaders need to start looking at ways of rectifying this matter with immediate effect. Considering India is all about relationships, a slur like this will not be taken lightly," the New Zealand Herald quoted her, as saying.

Negotiations towards a free trade agreement began this year. After Henry's remarks about Dikshit, New Zealand's High Commissioner to India, Rupert Holborow, was summoned to the Indian Foreign Ministry and given a formal protest.

Henry made fun of Sheila Dikshit's name by repeatedly calling her "Dick-sh*t" and claimed that her name was "so appropriate" because she was an Indian.

D'silva said that the comments on the chief minister's name had upset Indians the most.

"For instance I was in Delhi yesterday at meetings and at every meeting I had every client brought [Henry's remarks] up. They're very upset about it and I had to say 'I'm sorry and embarrassed' as a Kiwi-Indian," she added.

Meanwhile, Wenceslaus Anthony, chairman of the India New Zealand Business Council, said that Henry's remarks had made a dent in the relationship between the two countries.

Henry resigned on Sunday after meeting the state broadcaster's chief executive, Rick Ellis.

Pressure had been mounting on Henry to resign since the time he insulted the Indian-origin Governor-General in the country, Sir Anand Satyanand, during an interview with Key on Breakfast last Monday. (ANI)

Now, NZ RJ calls Indian-born official a 'fat man'
Monday, October 11, 2010, 10:24 [IST]

Wellington, Oct 11: Racial slurs from New Zealand media personnel against India continue, as a Radio Jockey has now landed in trouble for calling Indian-born New Zealand Governor General Sir Anand Satyanand 'a large fat man'.

11-anand-satyanand.jpg

The Radio Jockey's slur comes after Kiwi TV anchor Paul Henry sparked off a row for not only insulting the Governor-General but also deliberately mispronouncing Delhi Chief Minister, Sheila Dikshit's name.

Dubbing Sir Anand Satyanand a fat man, the jockey Micheal Laws went on to say, "I don't know why but just on an Indian it seems slightly incongruous. I mean, we don't all expect Indians to be begging on the streets of New Delhi, but it's like Anand discovered the buffet table at 20 and never really left it."

Laws, however, has the support of the radio station, which stresses that the jockey's comments weren't meant to be racist, just personal comments, according to media reports.

This comes just a day after Paul Henry was forced to resign after he made racist remarks on Delhi CM Dikhsit.

Even before his slur against Dikshit, Henry was suspended by TVNZ for making insensitive remarks about Governor-General Sir Anand Satyanand.

In an interview with Prime Minister John Key on the Breakfast programme, Henry asked if Sir Anand was "even a New Zealander".

New Zealand Radio Jockey | Racial Remark | Indian-born Govenor-General | Paul Henry - Oneindia News

Why is our Govt paying so much attention to this incident.domestic appeasement?

That guy is an idiot and should be treated like one.Ignored!

Henry made fun of Sheila Dikshit's name by repeatedly calling her "Dick-sh*t" and claimed that her name was "so appropriate" because she was an Indian.

Dubbing Sir Anand Satyanand a fat man, the jockey Micheal Laws went on to say, "I don't know why but just on an Indian it seems slightly incongruous. I mean, we don't all expect Indians to be begging on the streets of New Delhi, but it's like Anand discovered the buffet table at 20 and never really left it."

OMG!! :lol:

lol, Kiwis are using this for free publicity!!!!!!
and Indians not only giving them opportunity but also ridiculing themselves.

I really feel India has to be less sensitive to these kind of issues. It would be unfortunate, if these petty issues effect relationship between India and NZ

Back
Top Bottom