What's new

Obama, Islam Karimov discuss Afghan supply route

At the moment, about half those supplies come through Pakistan. The Pakistanis only closed, for about a day, one of the two main routes. About 30 percent of the supplies come in via Central Asia railroads, and another comes from the Black Sea, via rail to the Afghan border. The remaining 20 percent comes in by air. But some of that may be shifted to the Central Asian route, which is much safer (from bandits, bad roads and the Taliban) than the Pakistan routes.

The U.S. and NATO supplies coming in via railroad from Western Europe, go through Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, to Afghanistan. This approach costs $400 a ton to get supplies into Afghanistan, versus three times that to truck it in from Pakistani ports, or $14,000 a ton to fly stuff in. This Central Asian route has been under negotiation since 2003, but Russia kept agreeing to it, and then withdrawing cooperation. What has finally compelled Russia to cooperate in the last year is the growing problems they are having with heroin and opium coming out of Afghanistan into, and through,

Nato route opens through Russia - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English

Nato, Russia Work to Expand Afghan Supply Route

Russia Opens Afghan Transit Route For NATO's Germany

Do you see the contradiction?

Of course you will never see any attack claimed by IMU. But it does not mean they haven't expended blood and sweat for it. It simply means that TTP will claim the credit for the shelter it provides.

Again, there is a difference between a group being operational somewhere, & having a few fighters being deployed in a 'foreign land'. The IMU as a group is not operational in Pakistan because it is foreign to Pakistan, to the local conditions & terrain. It cannot function as an independent group IMU in Pakistan, which is why it is given refuge by the local terrorists, just like Arab, Somali, Chechen terrorists are given refuge by these local terrorists, but their groups are not operational in Pakistan. But the Uzbek fighters are on home turf in Northern Afghanistan, Tajikistan & Uzbekistan, & can operate independently by themselves as a group; which isn't the situation in Pakistan. The Uzbek fighters can easily cross the porous borders from Northern Afghanistan, & do 'Jihad' alongside their brothers in FATA. It doesn't cost them anything asking young brainwashed fighters to commit suicide in the name of God. The main objective of the IMU is to overthrow the current presidency of Uzbekistan, & form an Islamic nation. Uzbekistan does not share a border with Pakistan, which means IMU as a group is not operating from Pakistan. But they are operational in Northern Afghanistan, Tajikistan & Uzbekistan.

Again, there is a difference between a group being operational somewhere, & having a few fighters being deployed in a 'foreign land'. The IMU as a group is not operational in Pakistan because it is foreign to Pakistan, to the local conditions & terrain. It cannot function as an independent group IMU in Pakistan, which is why it is given refuge by the local terrorists, just like Arab, Somali, Chechen terrorists are given refuge by these local terrorists, but their groups are not operational in Pakistan. But the Uzbek fighters are on home turf in Northern Afghanistan, Tajikistan & Uzbekistan, & can operate independently by themselves as a group; which isn't the situation in Pakistan. The Uzbek fighters can easily cross the porous borders from Northern Afghanistan, & do 'Jihad' alongside their brothers in FATA. It doesn't cost them anything asking young brainwashed fighters to commit suicide in the name of God. The main objective of the IMU is to overthrow the current presidency of Uzbekistan, & form an Islamic nation. Uzbekistan does not share a border with Pakistan, which means IMU as a group is not operating from Pakistan. But they are operational in Northern Afghanistan, Tajikistan & Uzbekistan.

Why would you deliberately misread my words, and then quickly transition the other ways? Why not just read exactly what I write, no less, no more, and stick to that?

Why would you deliberately misread my words, and then quickly transition the other ways? Why not just read exactly what I write, no less, no more, and stick to that?

I think it is futile mentioning IMU (Uzbek fighters is fine) & Pakistan in the same sentence, as the group does not operate from Pakistan. Let's just leave it at that.

At the moment, about half those supplies come through Pakistan. The Pakistanis only closed, for about a day, one of the two main routes. About 30 percent of the supplies come in via Central Asia railroads, and another comes from the Black Sea, via rail to the Afghan border. The remaining 20 percent comes in by air. But some of that may be shifted to the Central Asian route, which is much safer (from bandits, bad roads and the Taliban) than the Pakistan routes.

The U.S. and NATO supplies coming in via railroad from Western Europe, go through Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, to Afghanistan. This approach costs $400 a ton to get supplies into Afghanistan, versus three times that to truck it in from Pakistani ports, or $14,000 a ton to fly stuff in. This Central Asian route has been under negotiation since 2003, but Russia kept agreeing to it, and then withdrawing cooperation. What has finally compelled Russia to cooperate in the last year is the growing problems they are having with heroin and opium coming out of Afghanistan into, and through,

Nato route opens through Russia - Central & South Asia - Al Jazeera English

Nato, Russia Work to Expand Afghan Supply Route

Russia Opens Afghan Transit Route For NATO's Germany

If I was USA, I would work out a deal with Russia and smack Taliban from both sides. Handled right, I guess Russia would not like anything better than a little payback for their debacle a few decades back in Afg..

I think it is futile mentioning IMU (Uzbek fighters is fine) & Pakistan in the same sentence, as the group does not operate from Pakistan. Let's leave it at that.

If you think so, then please do mention that you think.

Can you reproduce the statements where I mentioned the IMU first time? Word to word?

Here, let me help you :

I cannot comment much on Uzebkistan, because I have not read enough about the politics there to see how much the people may support the likes of the IMU against Karimov.

Also, you must have noticed that there's been quite a quiet on the part of the TTP, the main host of the IMU.

Would you read that, please? Its most effective leader dies in Pakistan... man the mention of Pakistan becomes inevitable, and even imperative, when it comes to IMU. Sorry to say but things do not happen per wishes.

And you know what, I can even prove that IMU was/is headquartered in Pakistan, but neither is this the right thread, nor am I interested anymore. Do your own shopping.

I just came from Mazar-e-Sharif to Kabul yesterday and I saw a very large line of containers moving day and night from Mazar-e-Sharif to Kabul which I never saw before atleast since my last visit before Ramadan, I guess they have already shifted their supply route to the north.

I just came from Mazar-e-Sharif to Kabul yesterday and I saw a very large line of containers moving day and night from Mazar-e-Sharif to Kabul which I never saw before alteast since my last visit before Ramadan, I guess they have already shifted their supply route to the north.

USA will never shut its supply line from Pakistan.. It will just build a parallel redundancy so that the Pakistani blackmail of blocking supplies loses its teeth..

USA will never shut its supply line from Pakistan.. It will just build a parallel redundancy so that the Pakistani blackmail of blocking supplies loses its teeth..

But they might reduce it as low as 10-20 %.

That's exactly what is going to happen, although I think mainly because it will serve for a last minute change when any of the involved parties does some sort of volte face.

But they might reduce it as low as 10-20 %.

In my view, they will still keep it at a higher level, but by building options they will change the situation from a strategic compulsion to a financial transaction. Basically if there are enough options available, the service of the transit facilities will get commoditized and Pakistan will end up losing a huge bargaining chip

Would you read that, please? Its most effective leader dies in Pakistan... man the mention of Pakistan becomes inevitable, and even imperative, when it comes to IMU. Sorry to say but things do not happen per wishes.

And you know what, I can even prove that IMU was/is headquartered in Pakistan, but neither is this the right thread, nor am I interested anymore. Do your own shopping.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/99322-war-lords-central-asia.html

Also, you must have noticed that there's been quite a quiet on the part of the TTP, the main host of the IMU.

The main host for the Uzbek fighters, not of the IMU.

Would you read that, please? It's most effective leader dies in Pakistan... man the mention of Pakistan becomes inevitable, and even imperative, when it comes to IMU. Sorry to say but things do not happen per wishes.

Tahir Yuldashev was influential in Afghanistan (especially in the Northern Afghanistan Uzbek regions) post the Soviet Union invasion, he was in charge of the IMU's operations post 2001. Tahir Yuldashev was Baitullah Mehsud's mentor, & when he was killed in a drone strike, Yuldashev took personal responsibility & deployed (rumored to be) 500 Uzbek fighters into Pakistan's FATA region from Afghanistan. Tahir Yuldashev spent most of his time in Afghanistan, & that was where Baitullah Mehsud got refuge in the first place & got inspired by him. Yes, he was killed in a drone strike inside Pakistan, but he was given refuge by the TTP, just as Baitullah Mehsud got refuge from the IMU in Afghanistan, it doesn't mean the IMU was operational in Pakistan.

I have done more research than you on the IMU & other insurgent groups in the region, the IMU is headquartered in Tajikistan & Northern Afghanistan; not Pakistan. The IMU is an terrorist insurgent group, they want to overthrow the present Uzbek government & replace it with Shariah law, which is why they are headquartered & operational from Northern Afghanistan & Tajikistan. Pakistan does not share a border with Uzbekistan, so the IMU are not operational from Pakistan.

The main host for the Uzbek fighters, not of the IMU.

Tahir Yuldashev was influential in Afghanistan (especially in the Northern Afghanistan Uzbek regions) post the Soviet Union invasion, he was in charge of the IMU's operations post 2001. Tahir Yuldashev was Baitullah Mehsud's mentor, & when he was killed in a drone strike, Yuldashev took personal responsibility & deployed 2500 Uzbek fighters into Pakistan's FATA region from Afghanistan. Tahir Yuldashev spent most of his time in Afghanistan, & that was where Baitullah Mehsud got refuge in the first place. Yes, he was killed in a drone strike inside Pakistan, but he was given refuge by the TTP, just as Baitullah Mehsud got refuge from the IMU in Afghanistan, it doesn't mean the IMU was operational in Pakistan.

I have done more research than you on the IMU & other insurgent groups in the region, the IMU is headquartered in Tajikistan & Northern Afghanistan; not Pakistan. The IMU is an terrorist insurgent group, they want to overthrow the present Uzbek government & replace it with Shariah, which is why they are headquartered & operational from Northern Afghanistan & Tajikistan. Pakistan does not share a border with Uzbekistan, so the IMU are not operational from Pakistan.

You forgot to shop here.

Athar Abbas & Yousuf Raza Gilani, or you... what do you think whose words hold more water?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom