What's new

OFB 7.62x51 Assault Rifle (new video)

Bad design, when its butt is folded, it cover trigger and you cannot operate through the right hand anymore.

You can, it's difficult but you can. There is enough space for the trigger finger if you see at 1:19. Besides, FAB Defense (the Israeli company that makes the stock) produces similar stocks for SA58s (similar dimensions as this rifle) and they can be operated with butt folded. It visually blocks the trigger doesn't mean it blocks operation.

SCAR with folded stock (this too has enough space for trigger finger. Operation is a bit more difficult sure, but certainly not impossible) -
fnh-scar-17s-folded-stock-side-view1.jpg

However:

The weapon is not meant to be fired with butt folded. If an infantryman can't shoulder the gun, it results in increased shooter fatigue, reduced accuracy, and consequentially wastage of ammo (especially not recommended when using a 20-round mag).

In fact, most service rifles in the world (including US Army M4s and new USMC M27 IAR) don't even have folding stocks. The folding feature is designed to be useful when in transit - like packing away the gun in a bag, when inside vehicles/aircraft etc. as it saves quite some space.

Last edited:
SCAR with folded stock (this too has enough space for trigger finger. Operation is a bit more difficult sure, but certainly not impossible)

If soldiers fingers were paper thin then sure, you can access trigger throughout visible 1cm hole.

Here are some fixes the rifle will need in order to be inducted:

Ambi cocking mechanism

Ambi Safety/ fire selector

A magazine that isnt so difficult to seat in the mag housing

Compatability with existing OFB 40mm UBGL

If this can be done ASAP, this rifle might be able to do well the trials tht will begin most likely later this year

As per quotes below by prasun sen gupta
All drama has ended & the Ghaatak 7.62 has been selected. Only ther ‘desi’ journalists are spreadiong all confusion & creatibg new dramas.
This gun looks great but is the Ghatak 7.62 the same as MCIWS?

If soldiers fingers were paper thin then sure, you can access trigger throughout visible 1cm hole.

You don't need paper-thin fingers. There are dozens of videos of people shooting SCARs with stock folded.

But that's irrelevant because as I said, the gun is not meant to be fired with stock folded. The whole purpose of HAVING a stock is to ensure shooter comfort, proper aiming and proper recoil-absorption.

I have no doubt that if a soldier shoots with stock folded while he could have done so with it extended, he will be reprimanded by his CO. That's just not the proper way of shooting a gun.

The reason for having a folding stock is to save space while in transit...like when troops are sitting inside an armored personnel carrier.

Here are some fixes the rifle will need in order to be inducted:

Ambi cocking mechanism

Ambi Safety/ fire selector

I think these features will follow later on provided Army requests them. But not crucial to being accepted.

The features on the 7.62 are no worse than what's on INSAS - and yet INSAS was inducted wasn't it?

A magazine that isnt so difficult to seat in the mag housing

That's just because Sandeep wasn't used to the proper position & angle of seating the mag. It can't be difficult to insert as a rule.

Compatability with existing OFB 40mm UBGL

Do we have any reason to believe it's not compatible with them already?

The indigenous UBGL has been fitted on INSAS, the MCIWS prototypes and even AKs. No reason why it can't be compatible with the new 7.62 rifle.

unvy8Zg.jpg

Anyway,The Ghatak is going to serve our jawans and I'm happy with it

unvy8Zg.jpg

Anyway,The Ghatak is going to serve our jawans and I'm happy with it

This Ghaatak is a 7.62x39 AK clone. Army requirement calls for 7.62x51 rifles (which is what the gun in the video is). I don't know if OFB internally refers to this new gun as Ghaatak 7.62x51 (only Prasun Sengupta calls it Ghaatak)...but all other sources simply call it OFB 7.62x51 Rifle. It hasn't received any name as such yet.

You do realize that the butt can be extended right?

He does - but he's predisposed to find fault with the gun where there is none.

I do not like the design of the mag well, too shallow, like in the AK series of rifles.Needs to be changed to a configuration similar to that found on AR 15 style rifles.Besides, the long stroke piston needs to go and a damper is needed to reduce the effect of felt recoil.I think the OFB guys should look into the counterbalance piston system of AK 107.

Back
Top Bottom