OMG, Indian unknown beats Taufik!

kvLin

Reaction score
Sridhar beats Indonesia's Taufik at World Badminton Champs

By Reuters
Wednesday August 15, 04:01 PM
By Dave Thompson

cb096b892ac73bd3436c767d2c3b000e.jpg

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Indonesia's Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat exited the world badminton championships in dramatic style on Wednesday, beaten 21-14 24-26 22-20 by India's Anup Sridhar in an enthralling second round match.

After dropping the first set, Taufik needed six game points before finally clinching the second and looked to be in control at 18-13 in the decider.

However, the lanky, elegant Sridhar was not to be denied against the 2005 world champion. Two net cords in favour of the Indian levelled the score at 19-19 and when Taufik smashed long on the next point, the writing was on the wall.

Bravely, the eighth-seeded Taufik managed to save one match point but succumbed at the next to become the tournament's biggest casualty to date.

Sridhar told reporters: "It's the biggest win in my career so far and I'm happy it came in a big event like the world championships."

Sridhar, who lost in the in the first round of last year's worlds in Madrid, said: "I think I played quite well today... I don't think he played too badly but he has played a lot better."

Defending champion Lin Dan of China was seeking to avoid similar problems later on Wednesday in his second round game against Hong Kong's Wei Ng.

A big crowd was expected at the Putra Stadium later for the first appearances of local hopes Lee Chong Wei, seeded two in the men's singles, and men's doubles pairing of Koo Kien Keat and Tan Boon Heong.

Earlier, Poland had a rare glimpse of badminton limelight when unseeded men's doubles pair Michal Logosz and Robert Mateusiak beat last year's silver medallists Anthony Clark and Robert Blair of England 21-16 21-16 in their second round match.

Logosz told Reuters: "It's one of our best results ever... tomorrow we want to play as well as we did today."

Poland had looked like pulling off another upset on the adjacent court when women's singles player Kamila Augustyn took the first set off 16th-seed Tracey Hallam, but the Englishwoman fought back to win 15-21 21-16 21-11.

First time im hearing his name. Anyways good going and wish him all the luck.

never heard of this guy before. hope he can continue his good run.

The guy is good enough and made pretty nice use of his height (185cm+ by eye measurement)
unfortunately he met Lindan at 1/4 final and was stopped on his way to be a biggest black horse in the 2007 world tournament held in Malaysia. the score was 20-22 and 9-21.

a543b08605d0868770ee7a65f6138a8b.jpg

Lindan won the championship today afternoon. anyway this was my first time seeing Indian player into quarterfinal, Sridhar may go further if he can be frequent at high class matches.

Taufik and Lindan are the best badminton players among all, Taufik is most famous for his all-round skills while Lindan has ranked top in world for 3 years. everytime the two meet each other at whatever round of any tournaments or champs,people take it as the most exciting final game.

Back
Top Bottom