What's new

“Omnirole” Rafale Steals Lead Over Eurofighter Typhoon in Libyan Operations

Sorry for off the topic Question....Is Rafael better than Su30 Mki?

Yes in certain fields, even compared to the upgraded MKI, but on the other hand the MKI has it's advantages too.
The EF T3 that is offered in MMRCA is most likely better than MKI (the current, not the upgrades, since we have no detailed specs about the Super 30 yet) in A2A, it will have the better radar, the lower RCS, the better AAMs, SC capability and is highly maneuverable too. In A2G on the other hand, there are many changes needed till the EF can be comparable to the MKI, since it is more than limited in this field at the moment.
The Rafale has advantages in A2A as well, with it's lower RCS, the better AAMs, SC capabilities, high maneuverability and just the best avionics from those 3, while the MKI scores in maximum speed. Compared to normal multi mode radars the huge BARS radar is of course superior, but I doubt that it will be better than the RBE 2 AESA radar, even if there is a clear size difference. In A2G the Rafale can do anything the MKI can do and more but in different ways, MKI mainly uses heavy bombs or missiles, from higher altitudes and high speeds, while the Rafale prefers the low level low speed penetration and uses lighter weaponary too.
The most important point for MMRCAs just from IAF point of view will be, that they get a great alternative multi role fighter to the MKI, not because they wouldn't like it (the opposite is the case), but to be not dependent on a single frontline fighter, on a single weapon package, on tactics and strategies that are based only on the MKI. Kargil war showed how important it is, to have alternatives, since in war time you never know how things will be and you always have to have a solution for the current situation. Exactly that's why I prefer the Rafale, since it is complementing MKI at best and gives IAF a whole lot of new offensive and defensive capabilities, to handle any scenario.

FTW

p7ifs.jpg

261PU.jpg

S5OP5.jpg

Yes in certain fields, even compared to the upgraded MKI, but on the other hand the MKI has it's advantages too.
The EF T3 that is offered in MMRCA is most likely better than MKI (the current, not the upgrades, since we have no detailed specs about the Super 30 yet) in A2A, it will have the better radar, the lower RCS, the better AAMs, SC capability and is highly maneuverable too. In A2G on the other hand, there are many changes needed till the EF can be comparable to the MKI, since it is more than limited in this field at the moment.
The Rafale has advantages in A2A as well, with it's lower RCS, the better AAMs, SC capabilities, high maneuverability and just the best avionics from those 3, while the MKI scores in maximum speed. Compared to normal multi mode radars the huge BARS radar is of course superior, but I doubt that it will be better than the RBE 2 AESA radar, even if there is a clear size difference. In A2G the Rafale can do anything the MKI can do and more but in different ways, MKI mainly uses heavy bombs or missiles, from higher altitudes and high speeds, while the Rafale prefers the low level low speed penetration and uses lighter weaponary too.
The most important point for MMRCAs just from IAF point of view will be, that they get a great alternative multi role fighter to the MKI, not because they wouldn't like it (the opposite is the case), but to be not dependent on a single frontline fighter, on a single weapon package, on tactics and strategies that are based only on the MKI. Kargil war showed how important it is, to have alternatives, since in war time you never know how things will be and you always have to have a solution for the current situation. Exactly that's why I prefer the Rafale, since it is complementing MKI at best and gives IAF a whole lot of new offensive and defensive capabilities, to handle any scenario.

Sancho,
If the super-30s come with an aesa radar with comparable specs to the Irbis-E wouldn't that make the MKI comparable in BVR against euro-canards. They claim detection ranges of 90kms for .01 m^2 and 350-400kms for 3 m^2 RCS, so even in clean config an EFT or Rafale should be detected at well over the maximum range of say the Meteore. As for AtoG I do believe that the Rafale is better armed than MKI at the moment.

Sancho,
If the super-30s come with an aesa radar with comparable specs to the Irbis-E wouldn't that make the MKI comparable in BVR against euro-canards. They claim detection ranges of 90kms for .01 m^2 and 350-400kms for 3 m^2 RCS, so even in clean config an EFT or Rafale should be detected at well over the maximum range of say the Meteore. As for AtoG I do believe that the Rafale is better armed than MKI at the moment.

It would be at least comparable in terms of detection range, although we have to wait for which AESA it will get and what specs it will have, but it's not only the radar that counts, the RCS has to be reduced, the avionics has to be improved, just like the weapon systems. However, most of the Super 30 upgrade is still just speculations, that's why I compared the MMRCAs only to the current MKI.

Back
Top Bottom