beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China

On ‘health of democracy’ under Modi, US says ‘go to Delhi and see for yourself’

By HT News Desk

Jun 06, 2023 08:58 AM IST

Prime Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to visit the US on June 22 following an invitation from President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden.

Dismissing concerns over the health of democracy in India under Prime Minister Narendra Modi, the White House on Monday said India is a vibrant democracy and anybody who happens to go to New Delhi can see that for themselves.

John Kirby, Coordinator for Strategic Communications at the National Security Council in the White House, also stressed that the US administration never shies away from “expressing concerns that we might have with anyone around the world.”

NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby answers questions during the daily press briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 31, 2023.(Reuters)

NSC Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby answers questions during the daily press briefing at the White House in Washington, U.S., May 31, 2023.(Reuters)

“You can do that with friends; you’re supposed to do that with friends,” the White House official said.

Prime Minister Modi will be on a state visit to the US later this month. US President Joe Biden and First Lady Jill Biden will host Prime Minister Modi for the official state visit, which will include a state dinner, on June 22, 2023.

When asked about the reason behind the invitation for the state dinner, Kirby underlined that India is a strong partner with the United States on many levels.

"You saw that in Shangri-La Secretary (of Defense, Lloyd) Austin announced some additional defense cooperation now that we're going to pursue with India. Of course, there's an awful lot of economic trade between our two countries. India is a member of the Pacific Quad and a key friend and partner with respect to Indo-Pacific security," he said.

"I could go on and on and on. There are innumerable reasons why India certainly matters, not just bilaterally between the two of our nations, but multilaterally on very many levels. And the president is looking forward very much to having Prime Minister Modi here to talk about all those issues and to advance and deepen that partnership and that friendship," Kirby added.

When the reporter pressed if the Biden administration is “at all concerned about the health of democracy in India,” Kirby replied: “India is a vibrant democracy. Anybody that, you know, happens to go to New Delhi can see that for themselves. And certainly, I would expect that the strength and health of democratic institutions will be part of the discussion.”

“And, look, we never shy away — and you can do that with friends; you’re supposed to do that with friends — you never shy away from expressing concerns that we might have with anyone around the world. But this visit is really about advancing what is now and what we hope will be a deeper, stronger partnership and friendship going forward.”

Lol. Propaganda doesn't work when you have boots on the ground and make a decision yourself.

Last edited:
Western politicians and media pull out all the stops trying to convince the world that India is a paradise while China is hell on earth. it's "the world's biggest democracy" vs world's biggest "autocracy"

Western politicians and media pull out all the stops trying to convince the world that India is a paradise while China is hell on earth. it's "the world's biggest democracy" vs world's biggest "autocracy"
Which western media, pick up any western media lately, all of them attack Narendra Modi and India for electing him. From CNN, Washington post, New York times, Guardian, BBC all attack India on a day to day basis. We Indians ignore their opinions.

As I have told earlier, Modi is like the most misunderstood great man of our times.
I know some of my esteemed friends may not agree but I have changes my view on Modi over the last 15 years or so.

@Joe Shearer

Last edited:
Which western media, pick up any western media lately, all of them attack Narendra Modi and India for electing him. From CNN, Washington post, New York times, Guardian, BBC all attack India on a day to day basis. We Indians ignore their opinions.
They call you "world biggest democracy" and believe you are their most important ally, is it good or bad?

China is the world's biggest autocracy and dictatorship. You can spin it in any way, you will eventually land at the same points.

As I have told earlier, Modi is like the most misunderstood great man of our times.
I know some of my esteemed friends may not agree but I have changes my view on Modi over the last 15 years or so.

@Joe Shearer
Good for you.

He remains a menace to the survival of the nation, with or without your support. I fail to see how his active participation in the creeping disenfranchisement of one-fifth of the citizenry on grounds of religion endears him to your eyes, or what countervailing factors justify this behaviour and his betrayal of his constitutional position to you.

China is the world's biggest autocracy and dictatorship. You can spin it in any way, you will eventually land at the same points.
It is also hell on earth, for young job-seekers, for old home-seekers, for those breathing polluted air and with their natural water sources irretrievably polluted.

It is altogether a different discussion if democracy is suitable for South Asia or if the Chines model is better, but without any doubt, the Indian democratic system is far far better than China's in all aspects.

It is altogether a different discussion if democracy is suitable for South Asia or if the Chines model is better, but without any doubt, the Indian democratic system is far far better than China's in all aspects.
India is the best :yahoo:

China can spin nothing in Indians mind.

Good for you.

He remains a menace to the survival of the nation, with or without your support. I fail to see how his active participation in the creeping disenfranchisement of one-fifth of the citizenry on grounds of religion endears him to your eyes, or what countervailing factors justify this behaviour and his betrayal of his constitutional position to you.
When or where did this happen ? This is one of the many false narratives that has been proliferated. I also do acknowledge that the Modi govt also is good at spin.
I just do not yet see a better alternate to Modi. The nation has survived the communalisation based on cast over the last 70 years. It will hopefully survive the communalisation based on religion now. Mind you I do not deny this. My point is that the nation has always been sliced based on caste, today it is being diced based on religion but the castes are coming together.(including the Muslim and christian castes)
It is also hell on earth, for young job-seekers, for old home-seekers, for those breathing polluted air and with their natural water sources irretrievably polluted.

As i mentioned, it is debatable if China is the best or India. But definitely, you are not a democratic country.
Democracy doesn't have to be a good word and it depends on how define it. ROC was a democratic country from 1912- 1949, it's one of the first constitutional democratic republic in Asia, and it was a disaster for China, it was overthrown and fled to Taiwan for a reason.

When the vast majority of the population believe that cow pee can cure all sicknesses, they will choose a like-minded politician who also believes so to represent them, this is democracy.
Politicians just make empty campaign promises which they can never deliver to cajole more votes, and their sight is always on the time span between two elections which makes long term planning and programs almost impossible to be implemented.
Democratic elections are more like popularity contests, people who have little or even no administrative work experiences can suddenly become a country's top leader overnight, movie stars, business tycoons, comedians, athletes...how can people expect those amateurs to lead a country?

Poor gutter oil connoisseur got his bum on fire out of jealousy just because of one comment lol

Back
Top Bottom