What's new

Online trolls threaten to rape the nine-month-old daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli

Online trolls threaten to rape the nine-month-old daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli after the country's disastrous performances at the T20 World Cup
By Charlie Walker For Mailonline10:56, 02 Nov 2021 , updated 11:33, 02 Nov 2021

49945045-0-image-a-6_1635846569781.jpg

+8
  • 93shares
3 comments
  • Online abuse began after India lost in the T20 World Cup to arch rivals Pakistan
  • Captain Virat Kohli stepped in to defend team mates against online trolls
  • Now the baby daughter of the skipper and his Bollywood actress wife, Anushka Sharma, has been targeted with disgusting threats on Twitter
  • The Delhi Commission for Women has urged the India police to take action
Shameless online trolls have threatened to rape the nine-month-old daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and Bollywood actress, Anushka Sharma.

The threats were sent via Twitter and started to appear after India's heavy defeat to arch rivals Pakistan in the T20 World Cup in Dubai.

Following the loss, by 10 wickets, Kohli spoke out on social media in defence of his team mate Mohammed Shami. As the only Muslim player in the Indian team, the bowler was targeted for his religion after the dismal performance.

The skipper Kohli denounced the trolling of Shami, branding the anonymous social media users as 'spineless', and now they have turned their toxic attention to him and his family.

The daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and his wife Anushka Sharma has been threatened online by 'shameful' trolls'shameful' trolls

+8
The daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and his wife Anushka Sharma has been threatened online by 'shameful' trolls
The Delhi Commission for Women has called on police to investigate the abuse of the couple nine-month-old daughter

+8
The Delhi Commission for Women has called on police to investigate the abuse of the couple nine-month-old daughter

Swati Maliwal, chairperson of the women's group, described the online comments targeting Kohli's daughter as 'very shameful'.

'The team has made us proud thousands of times, why this silliness in defeat,' Ms Maliwal said in a tweet.

'I have issued notice to Delhi Police, arrest all those who threatened 9 months old girl with rape!'

The Indian team, and Kohli in particular, have been widely criticised after poor performances and out-dated captaincy at the T20 World Cup.

The Indians followed up their loss to Pakistan with an eight-wicket defeat to New Zealand.

Indian fast bowler Mohammed Shami was targeted by online trolls after defeat to Pakistan

+8
Indian fast bowler Mohammed Shami was targeted by online trolls after defeat to Pakistan
But it was the team's hapless performance against neighbours Pakistan that riled fans. In the aftermath of the defeat, Shami, the only Muslim in the side, was subjected to appalling online abuse.

To his credit, Kohli did not flinch in the face of the trolling and used a pre-match press conference before the New Zealand fixture to call out Shami's anonymous abusers, labelling them 'spineless'.

'Attacking someone over their religion is the most pathetic thing one can do as a human. That is a very sacred and personal thing. People take out their frustration because they have no understanding of what we do,' Kohli told reporters on the eve of the Super 12 encounter.

Kohli has presided over a disastrous T20 World Cup campaign in which India lost to Pakistan

+8
Kohli has presided over a disastrous T20 World Cup campaign in which India lost to Pakistan
And he reminded those trolling Shami of the Amroha-born fast bowler's passion to play for the country.

'They have no understanding of the fact that Shami has won India a number of matches in the last few years and has been our primary bowler along with Jasprit Bumrah when it comes to making an impact in Test cricket,' said Kohli, who is widely considered to be one of the finest batsman of his generation.

Kohli has been resolute in his defence of team mate Mohammed Shami

+8
'If people can overlook that and his passion for the country, I honestly don't even want to waste one minute of my life to give any attention to those people; neither does Shami or anyone else in the team. The team stands by him and we are backing him 200 percent,' added Kohli, who has made 91 T20 international appearances for India and averages 52.72 runs in the format.

'All those who have attacked him can come with more force if they want to, our brotherhood, our friendship within the team cannot be shaken. I can guarantee you that as captain of the team that we have built a culture where these things will not infiltrate into the environment even .0001 percent. That is an absolute guarantee from my side.'

Shami has taken 12 wickets for India in 14 T20 internationals, but is yet to take a wicket at the World Cup, although he is by far from being the only player to struggle. His side has only taken two wickets in the competition so far.

However, the right-arm bowler has been successful in other formats, where he has 195 Test wickets and 148 in One Day Internationals.

A heavy defeat to Pakistan at the T20 World Cup has prompted disgusting online abuse

+8
A heavy defeat to Pakistan at the T20 World Cup has prompted disgusting online abuse
Kohli was supported in his defence of Shami by India cricket legends, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Anil Kumble. However, following his comments the trolls have turned attention towards the captain and his family.

The sickening abuse has prompted the former Pakistan captain, Inzamam-ul-Haq, to come out in support of Kohli, his wife and daughter.

'People need to understand it's just a sport, we might be playing for different countries but we are a part of the same community,' Inzamam said. 'You have every right to criticise Kohli's batting or captaincy but nobody has the right to target a cricketer's family. A few days back [after India's defeat by Pakistan] something similar happened with Mohammed Shami. Victory and loss is a part of the game.'

Five-year-old daughter of former India captain, MS Dhoni, has also been targeted online

+8
Five-year-old daughter of former India captain, MS Dhoni, has also been targeted online
It is not the first time the child of a high-profile Indian cricketer has been threatened with rape.

Last year, Mahendra Singh Dhoni's five-year-old daughter Ziva was targeted online, after an Instagram user sent rape threats.

Dhoni is a former captain national team, which won the inaugural 2007 ICC World Twenty20 competition, among other international honours.

However, Dhoni's daughter was attacked online after Chennai Super Kings (CSK) lost against Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).

It really tells you something about a society when people feel they can issue "rape threats"(something I've never heard before ever in my life) for sh!ts and giggles. Try this in US, UK or UAE. See what happens.

Commies have killed more in history in India and the world as a whole.

Keep peddling that old, boring lie. I want to say more but I will let go.

I don't know why you linked that article but its writer, Manu Joseph, also tweeted this :

Keep peddling that old, boring lie. I want to say more but I will let go.

I don't know why you linked that article but its writer, Manu Joseph, also tweeted this :
Typical commie behaviour, deviate from the topic to other npun-related arguements, next time you ask about farmer suicide, I’ll be the first one to reply did Jamahir ever care about businessmen committing suicides…

Typical commie behaviour, deviate from the topic to other npun-related arguements, next time you ask about farmer suicide, I’ll be the first one to reply did Jamahir ever care about businessmen committing suicides…

Yes, I do care about businessmen committing suicide too. I have posted about the owner of Cafe Coffee Day.

I'm not commie and I hate 'em (probably more than you since for you it looks like it's something your yogi told you is bad and you don't have any real conviction behind it) but I'm laffing at how low IQ you are rn telling people they're deviating from arguments and then doing whataboutery about businessmen commiting suicides (LMAO). Most self aware Hindoo online.

I'm not commie and I hate 'em (probably more than you since for you it looks like it's something your yogi told you is bad and you don't have any real conviction behind it) but I'm laffing at how low IQ you are rn telling people they're deviating from arguments and then doing whataboutery about businessmen commiting suicides (LMAO). Most self aware Hindoo online.
Lol I’m from a state ruined by commies, don’t tell me.

Political slurs like bhakt and hindutvadi will get you nowhere if you're looking to meaningfully engage in a discussion. Calm down, do your political activism, and when the time comes, pull the lever for a candidate/party you resonate with ideologically. Democracy.. it's not that difficult.

How do you even define a hinduvadi ?

All Hindus ?

Only Hindus that vote for the BJP ?

All BJP voters ? (Hindu or not)

Don't begrudge people if they reject what you propagate for, instead, you need to do some introspection and try and come up with a messaging which people might actually be on board with. A message strong enough for them (not you, you are already deep in your ideological bunker) to shift sides is what you need. A failure to do so is exactly why Rahul is failing so miserably in politics.. if you analyze his rhetoric, you'll see how he not only goes after Modi and co in an ill thought out ham-fisted way, but also ends up attacking everyone who voted for or supports the BJP.

It's a selfish thought process.. "I don't like people who don't agree with me, because I am right, I am righteous, they are wrong.. I am halal, they are haram" .. politics hai, boss, not some silly love triangle full of personal feels.

GTFO of the kitchen if you can't stand the heat, and if you do want to fight.. you better keep your cool in all this heat. Capishe ? 8-)

this one is easy

well, they have obviously kept their silence because the left has tried to hijack this and spin it politically and have essentially been implying that all BJP voters are to blame.

test match mein is ko 'well left' or 'good leave' kehtey hain.. why even give half a chance for the slip cordon to grab a nick when you can just let it fly past.. it's not hitting your wickets. The opposition rhetoric in India is just not hitting the mark, the BJP is cashing in on it big time.

Jamahir bhai, my sincere advice to you is to save your scorn for policy decisions that impact you and that you feel passionate about, and stop your hatred of regular hard working middle class folk who just want to live a life of dignity.. what could you possibly have against oil rig workers toiling away at a RIL facility or a crane operator at an Adani port or even higher up engineers and business people ?

stop boiling your brain in bitter juice, man.

learn to ride a scooter or bike, get some form of personal transport going, take off on some adventures just by yourself..

a life wasted if you just keep typing angry posts on a foreign country's forum

beautiful place and culture, ours, here in India.. there is no fascism, nobody wants to kill all the minorities.. who even has the time to sit and think this way.. ?

are you that insane that you believe the PM and his cabinet are discussing ways to eliminate the muslims ? :lol:

or are you even more insane than that and think all middle class people, around the world.. should be eliminated ?

Way to go rationalizing and legitimizing Hindutva Goonda behavior. And conveniently muddying the waters on what Hindutva is, which is a fascist movement, plain and simple.

Aya hai expert naya tariqah sikhaney se. :lol:

Bravo!

Only in India where you can get away with committing discriminatory and exclusionary behavior against Muslims and Christians, claiming it as legit and even pass it into national law (CAA/NRC).

Hindu Indians will be the first to feel the heat if the globe starts being really discriminatory against Hindus as Sanghis do against Minorities in India. They have already seen the dung-bathing, the pot-banging, the nanga sadhus and the un-cremated bodies of thousands flowing down your dirty rivers during covid. Its open and clear as day.

Thank your lucky stars as Indians that the world does not work that way and discriminate against filthy habits and people.

No one outside India accepts these Sanghi values of narrow-minded Hindutva discrimination against minorities.

Sanghi Indians are the largest number of bhikharees around the globe (even in Muslim Gulf states), going to other countries to earn remittance money to run their $hithole. India runs on remittance money but here is a Hindutva supremacist come to spread the glory of Hindutva and how great Sanghiland is.

Filth and Hindutvabadis are one and the same.

Some superpower.

Last edited:
Online trolls threaten to rape the nine-month-old daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli after the country's disastrous performances at the T20 World Cup
By Charlie Walker For Mailonline10:56, 02 Nov 2021 , updated 11:33, 02 Nov 2021

49945045-0-image-a-6_1635846569781.jpg

+8
  • 93shares
3 comments
  • Online abuse began after India lost in the T20 World Cup to arch rivals Pakistan
  • Captain Virat Kohli stepped in to defend team mates against online trolls
  • Now the baby daughter of the skipper and his Bollywood actress wife, Anushka Sharma, has been targeted with disgusting threats on Twitter
  • The Delhi Commission for Women has urged the India police to take action
Shameless online trolls have threatened to rape the nine-month-old daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and Bollywood actress, Anushka Sharma.

The threats were sent via Twitter and started to appear after India's heavy defeat to arch rivals Pakistan in the T20 World Cup in Dubai.

Following the loss, by 10 wickets, Kohli spoke out on social media in defence of his team mate Mohammed Shami. As the only Muslim player in the Indian team, the bowler was targeted for his religion after the dismal performance.

The skipper Kohli denounced the trolling of Shami, branding the anonymous social media users as 'spineless', and now they have turned their toxic attention to him and his family.

The daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and his wife Anushka Sharma has been threatened online by 'shameful' trolls'shameful' trolls

+8
The daughter of Indian cricket captain Virat Kohli and his wife Anushka Sharma has been threatened online by 'shameful' trolls

+8

Swati Maliwal, chairperson of the women's group, described the online comments targeting Kohli's daughter as 'very shameful'.

'The team has made us proud thousands of times, why this silliness in defeat,' Ms Maliwal said in a tweet.

'I have issued notice to Delhi Police, arrest all those who threatened 9 months old girl with rape!'

The Indian team, and Kohli in particular, have been widely criticised after poor performances and out-dated captaincy at the T20 World Cup.

The Indians followed up their loss to Pakistan with an eight-wicket defeat to New Zealand.

+8
But it was the team's hapless performance against neighbours Pakistan that riled fans. In the aftermath of the defeat, Shami, the only Muslim in the side, was subjected to appalling online abuse.

To his credit, Kohli did not flinch in the face of the trolling and used a pre-match press conference before the New Zealand fixture to call out Shami's anonymous abusers, labelling them 'spineless'.

'Attacking someone over their religion is the most pathetic thing one can do as a human. That is a very sacred and personal thing. People take out their frustration because they have no understanding of what we do,' Kohli told reporters on the eve of the Super 12 encounter.

+8
And he reminded those trolling Shami of the Amroha-born fast bowler's passion to play for the country.

'They have no understanding of the fact that Shami has won India a number of matches in the last few years and has been our primary bowler along with Jasprit Bumrah when it comes to making an impact in Test cricket,' said Kohli, who is widely considered to be one of the finest batsman of his generation.

+8
'If people can overlook that and his passion for the country, I honestly don't even want to waste one minute of my life to give any attention to those people; neither does Shami or anyone else in the team. The team stands by him and we are backing him 200 percent,' added Kohli, who has made 91 T20 international appearances for India and averages 52.72 runs in the format.

'All those who have attacked him can come with more force if they want to, our brotherhood, our friendship within the team cannot be shaken. I can guarantee you that as captain of the team that we have built a culture where these things will not infiltrate into the environment even .0001 percent. That is an absolute guarantee from my side.'

Shami has taken 12 wickets for India in 14 T20 internationals, but is yet to take a wicket at the World Cup, although he is by far from being the only player to struggle. His side has only taken two wickets in the competition so far.

However, the right-arm bowler has been successful in other formats, where he has 195 Test wickets and 148 in One Day Internationals.

+8
Kohli was supported in his defence of Shami by India cricket legends, Sachin Tendulkar, Virender Sehwag and Anil Kumble. However, following his comments the trolls have turned attention towards the captain and his family.

The sickening abuse has prompted the former Pakistan captain, Inzamam-ul-Haq, to come out in support of Kohli, his wife and daughter.

'People need to understand it's just a sport, we might be playing for different countries but we are a part of the same community,' Inzamam said. 'You have every right to criticise Kohli's batting or captaincy but nobody has the right to target a cricketer's family. A few days back [after India's defeat by Pakistan] something similar happened with Mohammed Shami. Victory and loss is a part of the game.'

+8
It is not the first time the child of a high-profile Indian cricketer has been threatened with rape.

Last year, Mahendra Singh Dhoni's five-year-old daughter Ziva was targeted online, after an Instagram user sent rape threats.

Dhoni is a former captain national team, which won the inaugural 2007 ICC World Twenty20 competition, among other international honours.

However, Dhoni's daughter was attacked online after Chennai Super Kings (CSK) lost against Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR).

Wow - what happened to the concept of being "Gracious in Defeat"??

The jingoism has gone to such a level that these Sanghi goondas can issue online threats against public personalities and their family members. Just wow.

If someone in Bangladesh did this on social media, the cops would be outside their door in three hours and drag them off to jail, no questions asked.

Bharat is truly a lawless country...

@Bilal9 bhai, you may be interested in the Indian style of microfinance and the general reasons for India's farmer suicides. And then the Hindutvadis on PDF castigate me if I speak of non-interest loans saying that I speak of Islamic banking. What is wrong if Islamic economics would have been adopted because neither would have farmer suicides existed nor would have the stock market existed ?

Dr. Yunus tried to popularize the Bangladesh style of Microfinancing in India but there were very few takers and in fact a lot of opposers. All the usual Indian banks, munafa-dar scumbags in India swooped in to make sure that Microfinance was done "their Indian way" which is useless profiteering on the backs of poor people.

In Bangladesh micro-finance loan payback rates are somewhere around 90 percent and up. Forget that in India with the high interest rates.

Upper caste Hindus (mostly Hindutva supporters) do not believe or support the uplift of poor lower caste people in India. That is a fact. They want to remain exploiters and worse capitalists than even Western capitalists (like you said).

Be worse exploiter yourself than Mughals/English and still call them exploiters. :lol:

There is unfortunately no antidote to this Upper Caste Hindu exploiting behavior in India, and the poor (mostly minorities and lower caste Hindus) will keep getting poorer (as shown recently in the horrid Indian hunger ranking publicized where India ranked 100th among 106 countries).

I remember a memorable quote by the noted Nobel-winning economist Amartya Sen when asked in a Bangladesh discussion on our media why Indian school kids had such poor performance in school compared to those in Bangladesh.

He commented that Indian govt. could easily improve the educational level in India by taxing the yearly gold imports (which is humongous) but won't do it because that is the interest of upper caste Hindus (Indian is the largest importer of Gold in the world). Per Mr. Sen, simple low amount of Tariffs on the gold imports could solve the education level problem in India once and for all, but it has lagged on for ages with no action.

So - if a country does not believe in improving the education and training of its lowest quotient human resources and uplifting them (and make them ready for the fourth Industrial revolution), then would it be too far fetched to call it a permanently worsening cesspit rather than a "Superpower" as some Sanghis claim?

Jingoism and propaganda will only take you so far, reality is what it is and will be.

Weapons, bombs and bullets can be temporarily bought and will eventually rust away, but a nation's talent-pool is permanent and will elevate its standing in the globe. China has shown this already.

But India being controlled by $hit-for-brains Sanghis now - persists being what it is, sinking lower and lower into 3rd world hellhole status. It is doing worse than Bangladesh now. If that is not a wake-up call to sane and educated Indians, I don't know what is.

Building expressways, ports and 500m tall statues and buying weapons won't save India if the majority of people remain poor and uneducated, it will only keep lining the pockets of its rogue uneducated leaders, like it has in the past.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but I could not drive the point home any other way....

Back
Top Bottom