What's new

PAK-FA takes to the sky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Engine final and tested, though on su 27 as a testbed.
Besides, IAF will also induct pak-fa and not just fgfa, so induction will be with 7-8 years

lol if that the Final engine then good luck

just look at the engine on F-35 & PAK-FA, i highly doubt if its going to be final one & one more thing you people are forgetting about AVIONICS & AAMs, there is nothing mentioned about HMD & newer AAMs have not been tested

Thats Why I mentioned Suk30MKI stealth....

see how predictable you people are, there is absolutely zero official statement regarding 'smart skin'

Last edited:
lol if that the Final engine then good luck

just look at the engine on F-35 & PAK-FA i highly doubt if its going to be final one & one more thing you people are forgetting about AVIONICS & AAMs, there is nothing mentioned about HMS & newer AAMs have not been tested

Engine was tested on Su-27 and not pakfa itself. It was tested on 21 jan.
Moscow News - News - New Russian jet fighter to threaten Raptor?
The T-50's maiden flight was planned in 2008, but was later postponed to 2009. In December 2009 Russian Deputy Prime Minister Sergei Ivanov announced that the maiden flight would take place in January 2010. The 5th generation engine for the new jet was tested by the flying laboratory SU 27M on January 21st in Zhukovsky near Moscow. The press release on NPO Saturn, the engine manufacturer's, website says that the flight lasted for 45 minutes and was successful. There was no criticism of the engine's operation.

About avionics, ew suite etc, I dont know.

Can somebody tell whether it will have completely Russian avionics or a potpourri like mki?

Last edited:
WORTH A READ......

Sukhoi T-50 PAK-FA made a successful 47-minute maiden flight on Friday 29 January 2010, taking off from Komsomolsk-on-Amur Airfield in Russia’s Far East, adjacent to the manufacturer’s site.

The aircraft was flown by Sukhoi test-pilot Sergey Bogdan. Sukhoi, the aircraft designer is expecting to complete flight testing and enter serial manufacturing by 2015, anticipating orders for at least 400 aircraft for the Russian and Indian Air Forces.
The flight went successfully meeting all its assigned tasks. “In the course of the flight we’ve conducted initial evaluation of the aircraft controllability, engine performance and primary systems operation. The aircraft had retracted and extracted the landing gear. The aircraft performed excellent at all flight-test points scheduled for today. It is easy and comfortable to pilot”, - said Sergey Bogdan.

After the initial test flights in Komsomolsk-on-Amur, the next test flight program is planned to take place in the Moscow and Astrakhan regions.
The new fifth generation stealth fighter, known by Project Code Name T-50 PAK-FA (Advanced Tactical Frontline Fighter) is designed to compete with the US stealth fighters such as the Lockheed Martin built F-22 Raptor and F-35 Lightning II.

Russia has been developing its newest fighter since the 1990s. India had joined the program in October 2007 and is expected to share 25% of the development cost. India will also be responsible for modifying the aircraft into a two-seater trainer and special-mission fighter, addressing specific Indian Air Force requirements.

The T-50 is expected to have an endurance of 3.3 hours, and a ferry range of 5,500 km. Its armament consists of new air-to-air and anti-ship missiles in addition to two 30mm cannons.
According to the manufacturer, PAK-FA possesses a number of unique features, compared to previous generation fighters, as it is combining the functionality of both attack aircraft and fighter plane. The 5th generation fighter is equipped with brand-new avionics suite, integrating “electronic pilot” functionality, as well as an advanced phased-array antenna radar. This significantly decreases pilot load, allowing him to focus upon the completion of tactical missions. New aircraft on-board equipment allows real-time data exchange, not only with ground-based control systems, but also within his flight team.
Composites application and innovative technologies and aerodynamics of the aircraft, are measures applied to decrease the engine signature, providing for an unprecedented small radar cross-section, in optical and infrared range. This significantly improves combat effectiveness against air and ground targets at any time of the day, in both visible and instrument meteorological conditions.

PAK-FA program advances Russian aeronautics, together with allied industries, reaching an entirely new technological level. These aircraft, together with upgraded 4th generation fighters will define Russian Air Force potential for the next decades. "Sukhoi plans to further elaborate on the PAK-FA program, which will involve our Indian partners. I am strongly convinced that our joint project will excel its Western rivals in cost-effectiveness and will not only allow strengthening the defensive power of Russian and Indian Air Forces, but also gain access to a significant share of the world market”, - said Mikhail Pogosyan, Sukhoi Company Director General commenting on the launch of the flight test program.

see how predictable you people are, there is absolutely zero official statement regarding 'smart skin'

Comon You are going crazy, Su-30 MKI will undergo mid-life upgrade starting 2014 and India is wanting most of the 5th gen features in It... And that Includes smart Skin....

Comon You are going crazy, Su-30 MKI will undergo mid-life upgrade starting 2014 and India is wanting most of the 5th gen features in It... And that Includes smart Skin....

I am not saying that it MKI won't undergo MLU, i am objecting the introduction of 'smart skin', If you have any thing 'authentic' about 'smart skin' then please post it,

PS:don't post that photo shopped su-27

NIIP AESA radar for PAKFA:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not saying that it MKI won't undergo MLU, i am objecting the introduction of 'smart skin', If you have any thing 'authentic' about 'smart skin' then please post it,

Both UAC and Tikhomirov-NIIP have come together to develop the ‘smart skin’ concept under which an AESA array’s transmit/receive modules can be placed anywhere on board the Su-30MKI to generate the relevant radiation field required for achieving more than 180-degree field-of-view.

hey... why counter PAkfA with superior J-XX? PAF is working on next generation JF-17II with stealth technology and that will be enough to counter IAF 5th generation fighters.. JXX is a over kill..
I bet that will p1ss you off!:woot:

Yeah-yeah.. I guess to kill a PAK-FA in air, even a JF-17 would be an overkill..

I am sure your MAN-BEHIND-THE-MACHINE SUPER-PILOTS can do that using your SUPER-MUSHAQ itself..

And please dont mention your (your's?, ohh BROTHER CHINA'S) J-XX on each and every of your post related to PAK-FA/FGFA.. It gets us Indians on the forum scared... Very scared indeed...

Now chill bro.. Eat maggi 2 minutes noodles, 2 minute me taiyaar...:cheers:

Reactions: sab

THIS S BEST ICOULD GET......
Developing the ‘Smart Skin’ concept for Su-30MKI

The pre-planned product improvement roadmap for the Su-30MKI continues to make steady progress, with two Indian Air Force (IAF) Su-30MKIs, delivered in mid-2002, being dispatched to United Aircraft Corp (UAC) of Russia’s Irkutsk-based facility (IRKUT Corp) where both airframes will be strengthened and refurbished, and their navigation-and-attack system will be upgraded in order to arm the aircraft with the BrahMos supersonic air-launched cruise missile for both maritime strike and ground attack. Thus, while all structural and electrical work will be undertaken at Irkutsk, the Tikhomirov-NIIP will upgrade the Su-30MKI’s existing NO-11M ‘Bars’ passive phased-array radar’s performance and operating modes by incorporating a radar target extraction LRU. Once all this has been done, the two upgraded Su-30MKIs will be flown back to India to begin the weapons qualification test-firings, which will be jointly conducted by BrahMos Aerospace and the IAF.

And come 2014, UAC, together with Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) will begin upgrading the first 100 IAF Su-30MKIs by modifying their airframes to make them stealthy, converting the existing ‘Bars’ into an active phased-array radar, enhancing the situational awareness by incorporating active electronically scanned transmit/receive arrays on the aircraft’s wings, and beefing up the defensive-aids suite by installing a combined radar/laser warning system and a missile approach warning system. Tikhomirov-NIIP had by last November begun laboratory-level tests of a ‘Bars’, which was fitted with an AESA array made up of X-band transmit/receive modules built by Istok JSC. Since then, another two ‘Bars’ radars have been modified as part of the R&D phase, which will last until 2012, and will be followed by flight qualification a year later. Incidentally, Tikhomirov-NIIP has also developed the Irbis-E passive phased-array radar for the Su-35BM and will soon begin work on modifying the Irbis-E into an active phased-array radar, which will go on board the Fifth Generation Fighter Aircraft (FGFA) that will be co-developed by UAC and HAL. In addition, both UAC and Tikhomirov-NIIP have come together to develop the ‘smart skin’ concept under which an AESA array’s transmit/receive modules can be placed anywhere on board the Su-30MKI to generate the relevant radiation field required for achieving more than 180-degree field-of-view.
FORCE - A Complete News Magazine on National Security - Defence Magazine

Both UAC and Tikhomirov-NIIP have come together to develop the ‘smart skin’ concept under which an AESA array’s transmit/receive modules can be placed anywhere on board the Su-30MKI to generate the relevant radiation field required for achieving more than 180-degree field-of-view.

i asked you to bring me links for this 'smart skin' :hitwall:

AESA is no way related to smart skin & more than field of view

please, thanks

i asked you to bring me links for this 'smart skin' :hitwall:

AESA is no way related to smart skin & more than field of view

please, thanks

And come 2014, UAC, together with Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) will begin upgrading the first 100 IAF Su-30MKIs by modifying their airframes to make them stealthy, converting the existing ‘Bars’ into an active phased-array radar, enhancing the situational awareness by incorporating active electronically scanned transmit/receive arrays on the aircraft’s wings, and beefing up the defensive-aids suite by installing a combined radar/laser warning system and a missile approach warning system.

May be not smart skin, but modification in airframes do reduce rcs

May be not smart skin, but modification in airframes do reduce rcs

And come 2014, UAC, together with Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) will begin upgrading the first 100 IAF Su-30MKIs by modifying their airframes to make them stealthy

so according to you modification in air frame will make it more stealthier than a 5th Gen J-XX, yeah:rolleyes:

LCA Tejas said:
Unbelievable , JXX a Project where pakistan has No hands, By first have no rights to claim it, and Next Comparing JF-17 stealth with FGFA?
Now Let me be frank,That JF-17 of yours can not even match the current Sukhoi30 MKI even after its stealth... And JXX can hardly match Suk30MKI stealth..... FGFA is Is beyond ur Imagination buddy, forget it.... U can counter it with JXX , thats the most u Can afford and Achieve... Good Luck...

so according to you modification in air frame will make it more stealthier than a 5th Gen J-XX, yeah:rolleyes:

SU-30MKI cant be fully stealh aircraft , whatever structural changes it undegoes coz it wasn't built to be one........
but surely its huge RCS can be reduced and thats something......

Nope, I didn't say that. I am just saying that it will have a reduced rcs. And that means a lot. We will have a fleet of 230 mkis which are already formidable, with reduced rcs and a better, improved radar.
On a side note, I am a big fan of working of Chinese. But do you really believe they will surpass the Russians so soon?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom