What's new

Pak set to open routes for Indo-Afghan trade

Spring Onion

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pak set to open routes for Indo-Afghan trade

PESHAWAR – At last US’ tactics of arm-twisting and blackmailing Pakistan succeeded in forcing Pakistani Government to open all land, sea and air routes for trade between Afghanistan and India.

According to sources, the Government of Pakistan has started making security arrangements at those routes, which have been granted for two-way trade between India and Afghanistan through Pakistani territory.
Under Afghan Pakistan Transit Trade Agreement, Pakistan has allowed Afghanistan to use major ports, air and land routes including Peshawar International Airport, Azakhel Dry Port, Ghulam Khan terminal besides important other ports and land routes in Balochistan.
The Pakistani authorities have also allowed Afghanistan to use Railways network in Peshawar, Karachi and Quetta including Chaman Rail Terminal for trade.
The Afghan truckers have also been allowed to pass through Ghulam Khan Check Post terminal along the Iranian border.
The Afghan trucks will be further facilitated up to Wahgah border for entry into India. Though the Government has assured strict checking of the Afghan drivers for security, no truck will be searched which is feared to cause smuggling of unwanted goods.
Some analysts have also expressed their fear that the national security would be at risk due to the newly signed APTTA.
Keeping in view the Afghan refusal to have drivers carrying passports and valid visas to enter Pakistan, quantitative restrictions on smuggling-prone items, etc, the security risks to the country would be all time high.
The Pakistani trade circles also fear that allowing Afghan trucks to move freely within Pakistan and pick up their cargo from Karachi will affect badly the country’s economy as well as lead to unprecedented increase in smuggling activities.

Pak set to open routes for Indo-Afghan trade | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

I do not believe USA can pressurise Pakistan after a certain point. This is more true in case of India considering India-Pakistan relations. Lastly, these decisions are taken by keeping every stakeholder's consent (read security agencies/army in this case).

Anyways, a good move Pakistan. :tup:

I do not believe USA can pressurise Pakistan after a certain point. This is more true in case of India considering India-Pakistan relations. Lastly, these decisions are taken by keeping every stakeholder's consent (read security agencies/army in this case).

Anyways, a good move Pakistan. :tup:

The current Pakistani govt has taken many decisions which are damaging to Pakistan. And indeed we did succumb to US bullying in this case.

A bad decision i am not at all in its favour

I think its a good decision by GoP...this will help in trust building.

I think it is a decision that was inevitable for quite some time now.

The current Pakistani govt has taken many decisions which are damaging to Pakistan. And indeed we did succumb to US bullying in this case.

A bad decision i am not at all in its favour

I dont think its a bad decision...coz it helps Pak to charge India some money. India also can avoid long distances and save the money in that way. So,its a win-win situation for both.

I dont think its a bad decision...coz it helps Pak to charge India some money. India also can avoid long distances and save the money in that way. So,its a win-win situation for both.

Selling own market, damaging own economy and strategic interests for peanuts is not a wise decision.

Our traders are going to lose Afghan market big time. There is nothing in Afghanistan that could be exported to India other than dry fruits for the time being.

Good move by Pakistan.. Let the trade flourish......:agree::agree:

Selling own market, damaging own economy and strategic interests for peanuts is not a wise decision.

Our traders are going to lose Afghan market big time. There is nothing in Afghanistan that could be exported to India other than dry fruits for the time being.

It is obligaturay for the neighboring countries of land locked countries to provide trading routes.

No blackmailing here the rule have been clearly set that no Indian or Afghan lorries and drivers will be allowed on Pak soil. The Peshawari's should get happy as it will boot their transit and trucking industry as well create jobs for under educated.

I don't believe the new APTTA allows for Indian goods to be transported through Wagah, and therefore continues previous policy on that count.

The main changes in the new APTTA, WRT India, revolve around facilitating Afghan exports to India, which does not harm Pakistan's economy. On Afghan imports in general, transiting through Pakistan, a few measures to check smuggling have been introduced which did not exist under the old APTTA, so the new agreement is still an improvement over the old one.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Also, please do not post Pakistan related threads in WA section. World Affairs section is for non-Pakistan threads only.

Back
Top Bottom