What's new

Pak to import 1100MW of electricity from Iran

Zero sum way of looking at it. The chances of these projects falling apart diminishes as the number of such projects increases. Co-dependence between Iran and Pakistan is a good thing.

Well for starters pakistan hasnt even accepted this project yet, iranians are pitching and hoping they can swing GoP. The outcome of this project depends on the summit, there is a very slim chance of Pakistan getting a nuke deal but Gilani is gonna make a pitch anyways. If it goes through, this Iran deal will likely wont get anywhere

Moreover, as the pakistan's population is growing and pakistan is progressing the average rate of electricity consumption will also grow.

And if the electricity demand grows even by 10% per annum of the current demand in pakistan.

So, by the time the electricity from Iran available to pakistan, the electricity demand in pakistan will be raised by 3000 mega watt.

Agree :tup:

Hence, it will be nit of much help. It can't bridge the gap of demand supply as per present requirements of Pakistan how can these small quantity of electricity generated by Iran gas plant and chinese nuclear plants will suffice the demand.

Disagree :disagree:

This is not the only project in pipeline in fact if you look at the chart i posted above it includes only the approve projects against Demand (as far i believe). There are so many proposed projects awaiting approval within an year or two. This 1100MW is among them. Plus you have to remember when the demand and generation is increased the amount of loadshedding will also decrease that is because say if your requirement is 10,000MW and you are generating 5000MW so expect 12 hours load shedding. But if your requirement is 35,000MW and you are generating 30,000MW the loadshedding will only take place for 3-4 hours maximum.

And also there are a lot of projects to be completed by 2016 - 2019 i.e. (Chashma Nuclear plants, Diamer-Bhasha dam, Neelum Jhelum, Small hydropower projects which al-together will generate electricity in thousands of MW will be more than enough for our future requirements. You can read few hydro power projects in this post (just have a look on number projects due to be completed before 2020 either under construction or approved).

http://www.defence.pk/forums/778523-post109.html

And then you have several Coal gasification projects, wind power projects and other projects like this Iran-pakistan and not to forget about 4000MW generated by IP gas Pipeline which we will start generating by 2015/16.

current deficit of 4500 megawatt + 3000 mega watt = 7500 mega watt of power deficit by 2012 in pakistan.
Yes you are right :tup:

In Future pakistan will get:

The power from Iran 1000 MW + Nuclear power plants by china around 1000 MW + Misc. projects 1500 MW = 3500 MW maximum

7500MW - 3500 MW = 4000 MW i.e. at the same level of power shortage as on 2010, so 12-22 hrs of power cuts will remain in future.

No there are number of others projects also if you talk about post 2018 we shall enough generation capacity to fullfil our electricity demands for the next couple of years.

read this page from top to bottom

http://www.defence.pk/forums/economy-development/32272-dam-construction-pakistan-7.html

Here we talked about only hydro power projects and not to forget Gas pipeline + importing electricity + Coal projects + Nuclear + Wind power projects

Also, one must remember in near future demand will grow more rapidly and the gap of demand and supply will be more and more.[/U][/B]

So the need of the hour is to build large scale capacities or remain in the illusion that these will meet the need.

Yes we need a master plan to overcome our electricity crisis for good :tup:

Last edited:
Why not Pakistan and India both import electricity from Iran and not the gas. more safe and less pollution too.

either they should have imported 2200MW and we should have started receiving by year 2013 maximum or 1100MW is more than enough. Our energy requirements in 2015 will reach about 31,000MW and we have enough projects in pipeline to fullfill this demand by 2015.

pakistanenergyrequireme.jpg

Remember its a long term project so 1100MW i guess is a good decision when we see we will start receiving this electricity by 2015.

There will be many small dams completed, many hydropower projects will be nearing its completion including Neelum-Jhelum and IP gas pipeline project will also be nearing its completion by 2015.

Year 2016 - 2018 is very import for us where we will have bhasha dam completed and many other coal projects must have been completed by then and not to forget major chunk of IP gas pipeline shall be used to generate electricity

I am listening this BS (pipeline projcts) since my childhood! :wave:

Pakistan should have gas pipleline, railway tract, highway and electricty transmission line from Karachi to Bandar Abbas. We already have Mehran Highway from Karachi to Gwadar and that can be used to build railway tract, pipeline and tranmission line to run alongside with it. Karachi also needs two 1000 MW nuclear stations alongside with older 132 MW nuclear power station.

It's ver good deal n will get it for cheep but Uncle sam will never let that happen

Back
Top Bottom