What's new

Pakistan anti-terrorism court sentences Muslim man to death for blasphemous WhatsApp post

JackTheRipper

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
  • Syed Muhammad Zeeshan was convicted and sentenced to death for posting blasphemous content in a WhatsApp group
  • Blasphemy is a hugely sensitive issue in Muslim-majority Pakistan, where even unproven allegations can stir mobs and violence
0eccbcad-f2d2-403d-b222-cc14902c29be_e18631f2.jpg

Pakistan has sentenced a Muslim man to death over an alleged blasphemous WhatsApp post. Photo: Shutterstock/File

An anti-terrorism court in northwest Pakistan has convicted and sentenced a Muslim man to death after he was accused of posting blasphemous content in a WhatsApp group.
Blasphemy is a hugely sensitive issue in Muslim-majority Pakistan, where even unproven allegations can stir mobs and violence.
Syed Muhammad Zeeshan was convicted under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act and Anti-Terrorist Act by the court in Peshawar on Friday.
“Accused Syed Muhammad Zeeshan, son of Syed Zakaullah in custody has been convicted and sentenced after being found guilty”, the court order said, a copy of which was obtained by Agence France-Presse.

Zeeshan, who is a resident of the northwest city of Mardan, was also fined 1.2 million rupees (US$4,300) and handed a total of 23 years’ imprisonment.

He has the right to appeal.
The case arose after Muhammad Saeed, a resident of Talagang in Punjab province filed an application with the Federal Investigation Agency two years ago accusing Zeeshan of posting blasphemous content in a WhatsApp group, Saeed’s counsel Ibrar Hussain told Agence France-Presse.

The “FIA had confiscated Zeeshan’s cellphone and its forensic examination proved him guilty”, he said.

While Pakistan’s laws prohibiting blasphemy can carry a potential death sentence, so far it has never been enforced for the crime.
Although many cases involve Muslims accusing fellow Muslims, rights activists have warned that religious minorities – particularly Christians – are often caught in the crossfire, with blasphemy charges used to settle personal scores.

According to the National Commission of Justice and Peace, a human rights and legal aid group in Pakistan, 774 Muslims and 760 members of various minority religious groups were accused of blasphemy in the last 20 years.

I dont know why is this a news? If proven guilty, criminals should be given appropriate sentences. I do have a hunch though that well-connected and resourceful criminals probably get away while the poor/middle class gets the hammer. Thats the only problematic aspect of the blasphemy law and its convictions. I know a girl (Islamabadi, well-connected) who publically did blasphemy on her social media accounts and Islamabad police actively protected her (The famed "female police officer" of Islamabad who sucks up to the elites and is close to American embassy staff. Everyone who knows, knows which officer I am referring too lol)

I dont know why is this a news? If proven guilty, criminals should be given appropriate sentences. I do have a hunch though that well-connected and resourceful criminals probably get away while the poor/middle class gets the hammer. Thats the only problematic aspect of the blasphemy law and its convictions. I know a girl (Islamabadi, well-connected) who publically did blasphemy on her social media accounts and Islamabad police actively protected her (The famed "female police officer" of Islamabad who sucks up to the elites and is closed to American embassy staff. Everyone who knows, knows which officer I am referring too lol)
Yes we all know that girl and we all know that Officer.

I dont know why is this a news? If proven guilty, criminals should be given appropriate sentences. I do have a hunch though that well-connected and resourceful criminals probably get away while the poor/middle class gets the hammer. Thats the only problematic aspect of the blasphemy law and its convictions. I know a girl (Islamabadi, well-connected) who publically did blasphemy on her social media accounts and Islamabad police actively protected her (The famed "female police officer" of Islamabad who sucks up to the elites and is close to American embassy staff. Everyone who knows, knows which officer I am referring too lol)
Yes we all know that girl and we all know that Officer.

DSP Amna baig? What's this story?

“Blessed child” I hope you understand 😊
Sir, I am a caveman. Not familiar with the comings and goings of the twitters and the facebooks and in general the interwebs. I check her twitter bio. It doesn't say that.
If you can make the riddles simpler or maybe just say it, I'll be obliged :D

Sir, I am a caveman. Not familiar with the comings and goings of the twitters and the facebooks and in general the interwebs. I check her twitter bio. It doesn't say that.
If you can make the riddles simpler or maybe just say it, I'll be obliged :D
Do you think these things are disclosed on twitter 😂. Bahi, she made the case disappear, a blasphemy case under PPC.

Pakistan logic is “might is right”. I speak in riddles for my own safety. I am too close to Islamabad Police and institutions to make statements openly.

This blasphemy law needs to be scrapped, it's being misused.

Wouldn't it be better they are sent to a seminar to explain the sensitivities? The person could become devout or never "blaspheme" again, isn't that a better outcome? Even child murdering TTP terrorists got a 2nd chance by going to re-education camps in FATA :lol:

Do you think these things are disclosed on twitter 😂. Bahi, she made the case disappear, a blasphemy case under PPC.
Okay. If @AUz knew it, I thought it might have been in the public domain. Esp the girl who committed blasphemy on SM.

Pakistan logic is “might is right”. I speak in riddles for my own safety. I am too close to Islamabad Police and institutions to make statements openly.
Understood. You don't happen to be one of the Khamosh Mujahids, do you? Thank you for your service. 🫡

Okay. If @AUz knew it, I thought it might have been in the public domain. Esp the girl who committed blasphemy on SM.

Understood. You don't happen to be one of the Khamosh Mujahids, do you? Thank you for your service. 🫡
Sir calling me a mujahid is a stretch. I am just a servant of Pakistan.

Esp the girl who committed blasphemy on SM.

Well let’s just say the girl in question has very close ties to Karachi. 😂.

Sir calling me a mujahid is a stretch. I am just a servant of Pakistan.
There's many definitions of Jihad. Idk anything about you or your service but from your participation at PDF, I'd say are doing a hell of a lot more than some sitting in cozy offices and doing this bullshit that we are seeing these days, even if they once served as mujahids at the LOC

Back
Top Bottom