What's new

Pakistan Election Day: 11 May 2013, updates.

Ok for those who don't know. PTI has won a provincial assembly seat from Karach in Sindh Assembly. PTI candidate from PS-93 has won the elections. :)

No offense, bro, but I didn't understand a single thing you typed/wrote here. But if I take a wild I guess, I assume you don't like the democratic system and prefer the dictatorship. And that's fine, it's your opinion.

It Doesnt Matter, u Couldnt Understand Pakistan !its Peoples & Its Politicians?
Bt Its Simple, Damocrazy Hve No Chance In Pakistan, Not Today Not Tommrow?
Hope U Illget It ! This Time?

In Pakistan, a Political Realignment

Analysis

May 13, 2013.

Summary

Pakistan's May 11 parliamentary elections show that the country's political spectrum has altered so that, at least for the foreseeable future, the main rivalry is between two right-of-center parties. Two-term former Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif's Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz won a strong majority in the elections, which had the highest-ever voter turnout. The party is preparing to implement an agenda focused on economic revival but will face security challenges complicated by the fact that Sharif's main rival, Imran Khan's Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, will be ruling the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province -- a key area ravaged by Taliban insurgency. The emergence of Khan's party and the resulting shift away from the traditional rivalry between the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and the left-leaning Pakistan People's Party will have numerous implications.

Analysis

As of May 13, Pakistan's election commission is still finalizing the results of the parliamentary elections. However, Sharif's Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz scored a major victory by winning some 130 out of 272 contested seats -- a few short of the 137 required to form a government without help from coalition partners. Competing for a distant second place are the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf and President Asif Ali Zardari's Pakistan People's Party, with approximately 30 seats each. On the provincial level, the most significant outcome is that the Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf secured nearly 35 of the 99 directly contested seats in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, becoming the largest party in the Pashtun-dominated province, which has borne the brunt of the seven-year jihadist insurgency.

Sharif's party undoubtedly will form the government at the federal level with a comfortable majority and will continue ruling the core province of Punjab. In addition to leading the opposition in the federal parliament, Khan's party likely will form the provincial government in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa by joining forces with the Islamist Jamaat-e-Islami party and other like-minded independent members of parliament in the province.

The Pakistan People's Party, down to approximately 35 seats from the 125 it held in the previous parliament, suffered what was possibly its worst political defeat yet. However, the party still holds 40 of the 100 seats in the upper house and will retain control of Sindh province, where it maintained its position as the largest party.

Essentially, the historic alignment of Pakistan's political spectrum -- in which the left-leaning Pakistan People's Party was the largest in the country, followed by the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz, with no considerable third-party presence -- has been changed. The gains made by the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (which only had one seat in the previous parliament) indicate that the two right-of-center parties are now the main political rivals in the country.

Sharif's Agenda

The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz, with its traditional pro-business stance, can be expected to have some success in reviving an economy that has been standing at the precipice of bankruptcy. Sharif has already announced that the party's financial expert, Ishaq Dar, will be finance minister in his new Cabinet. Dar served in that capacity in the two previous Sharif governments, and the news that he will be returning to his old job sent the Karachi stock market reportedly soaring to an all-time high. The incoming government will begin working on the economy quickly, as the budget for the next fiscal year is due in June.

Sharif and his team's reputation for liberal economic policies likely will help Islamabad renegotiate an $11.3 billion loan from the International Monetary Fund that has been suspended for years after the fund stopped payments in response to the previous government's inability to enact the agreed-upon reforms. That Sharif likely will form Pakistan's first non-coalition government since he last came to power in 1997 will help him carry out his economic agenda.

An Array of Security Concerns

That said, security will continue to be a major hindrance to economic revival. First and foremost is the Taliban rebels' insurgency. The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz has not put forth a concrete policy on the insurgency beyond saying that it will pursue negotiations with the rebels. Complicating this matter is the fact that the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, which is now the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz's main rival, will be governing Khyber Pakhtunkhwa.

The two governments are likely to clash over policies because Khan's party has adopted a much tougher stance against military operations and U.S. unmanned aerial vehicle strikes in the tribal areas. Islamabad and Peshawar's disconnect will spill over into dealings between Islamabad and Washington at a critical time; NATO forces are due to draw down from neighboring Afghanistan next year.

The Pakistani Taliban rebels will exploit the conservative outlook of both the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz and Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf and the parties' rivalry. Moreover, it is not yet clear how both parties will deal with the country's army-led security establishment, which has played the lead role in the counterinsurgency effort for nearly a decade. Thus, it is unlikely that the new government will be able to get a handle on the insurgency anytime soon. This will, in turn, limit any economic improvements in the country.

The insurgency in the north is not the only security problem for Sharif. There is also a great deal of insecurity in the southern port city of Karachi, the country's main economic hub. The local ruling ethnic party in the city, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, has been unnerved by the May 11 election results. Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf has made inroads into the Muttahida Qaumi Movement's traditional stronghold of Karachi, winning at least one seat in that area. Meanwhile, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz's majority means that the Karachi-based party will not be able to play the role of kingmaker and gain concessions from the ruling party as it has in the past.

The day after the parliamentary elections, Muttahida Qaumi Movement workers opened fire on Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf supporters protesting alleged electoral fraud by the Karachi-based party. Shortly before this incident, the chief of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, who is in self-imposed exile in London, made a statement on Pakistani television threatening violence against those protesting his party. In recent years, Karachi has seen considerable political violence in the form of gunbattles between militias affiliated with different parties, and there is a possibility of that worsening as the new government takes office. Sharif's economy-focused agenda, therefore, faces some major security challenges in both ends of the country.

Read more: In Pakistan, a Political Realignment | Stratfor

did you even realize that only results for 249 seats are declared. People are going blind in hate.

aur ma 249 hi ki bat kar raha hun ...you are getting too excited for NS lol

You might have to compel him using "people power".

I'm surprised PML-N even tried to rig the poll in Rawalpindi! I imagine it's one of the places in the country that detests him most and has enough security to thwart rigging attempts not authorized by the military.

The care taker govt was pro pml-n and anti-PTI so it was all planned ...you would be astonished to know that 96 constituencies in Punjab had more than 100% voter turn out lol that means total number of voters registered were 100 and votes casted were 250 or even more in some cases upto 350% .....i myslef witnessed it ...u cant imagine how bad the situation was...in rawalpindi people controlled it but in lahore most PTI polling agents were yound students while pml-n were seasoned goons ...so in many polling stations they threw PTI agents out and with the help of police they locked themselves inside and did watever they wanted to do ......we slept on 11th May with huge leads in many constituencies and woke up knowing that we have lost lol...isnt it funny??? they have abused the right of people...they have spit on our face ....and you call it democracy ....my frnd people are on roads asking for justice but nobody is going to give them justice....one thing might sound offensive to you but US has a strong hold in Pakistan's politics...come here live for sometime and you will know what i mean.....we got freedom in 1947 but we are not free till today .....fcuked up

The care taker govt was pro pml-n and anti-PTI so it was all planned ...you would be astonished to know that 96 constituencies in Punjab had more than 100% voter turn out lol that means total number of voters registered were 100 and votes casted were 250 or even more in some cases upto 350% .....i myslef witnessed it ...u cant imagine how bad the situation was...in rawalpindi people controlled it but in lahore most PTI polling agents were yound students while pml-n were seasoned goons ...so in many polling stations they threw PTI agents out and with the help of police they locked themselves inside and did watever they wanted to do ......we slept on 11th May with huge leads in many constituencies and woke up knowing that we have lost lol...isnt it funny??? they have abused the right of people...they have spit on our face ....and you call it democracy ....my frnd people are on roads asking for justice but nobody is going to give them justice....one thing might sound offensive to you but US has a strong hold in Pakistan's politics...come here live for sometime and you will know what i mean.....we got freedom in 1947 but we are not free till today .....fcuked up

My sentiments exactly.

These are the people in charge of our country alongside an even bigger criminal in Zardari.

We are on course for destruction.

When we are finally broken up into provincial pieces, I guarantee you, with my hand on the Quran, that these PMLN supporters will attempt to take full control of Punjab immediately after with no care for rest of Pakistan.

We have Ghadars in the midst.

Nawaz Sharif will pay a visit to Imran Khan at Shaukat Khanum Hospital today ! Good move...time to move forward together...brothers in arms.

If Imran Khan lost this time, it happens in the game of politics, he will win next time, inshallah.

Lol listen to this guys ....One Pakistani living in america called london police to file a complaint against altaf hussain .....here is the recording of it

[video]http://www.geotauaisay.com/2013/05/altaf-hussain-k-khilaf-aik-pakistani-ki-recorder-call-uk-police-ko/[/video]

This is the FB status of PTI losing candidate who happens to be my ex Law teacher and he was contesting on a provincial seat from sialkot

People have been messaging me and asking me not to lose hope. Rather than messaging them back individually, im posting a comment here for them

I can understand your disappointment but frankly, I feel PTI did pretty well.

Firstly we need to understand majority of Pakistanis live in rural areas. Meaning they vote their biradaries; they are not educated enough to understand their responsibilities; rather than national issues, their politics revolves around “thanedars” and “patwaris” and petty development projects.

Secondly PTI was a new party with 80% fresh candidates. Now since in rural areas the loadshedding stretched to as many as 20 hours in a day, no one really got IK’s message through electronic media. I mean no one my constituency saw my TV add haha. It was upto the candidates to spread the message across. PTI announced its candidates on 18th April giving each candidate just 22 days for the campaign, which is next to impossible in most areas. Let me explain how. On average, an MNA seat has around 400,000 voters. Now, say in Lahore or Karachi, this could stretch to about say 10-15 kms but in rural areas people do not live in towns or mohallas. For example my constituency comprises of 650+ villages and stretches to almost 132 kms. How can you expect to cover 132 kms in 22 days? That’s the reason PTI did well in bigger cities only.

Third, the police and patwaris’ were against PTI because they do not want this system to change

Fourth, since this is the wheat cutting season, people in villages were not interested in the elections campaign and you could only find people after like 6pm and even then they slept early due to fatigue. (so out of the 22 days, all parties got only about 4 to 5 hours of campaign). So older parties had their groups intact and we didn’t have the time to convince them to vote for PTI.
Since most of my friends reading this don’t really understand what “waadi (a punjabi word for wheat cutting)” means, please ask your servant what it means to villagers.

Fifth, there were some local issues as well. For example Firdous Ashiq Awan decided to withdraw from NA 110 in favour of PTI giving people the impression that PTI is zardari’s “B”-team. (the main reason PTI lost in Sialkot, I feel). As I said, mostly people in rural areas are not educated enough to understand these things.

Sixth, bat was a new sign and confused a lot of old people. People knew IK but older people (specially old women) didn’t know about his sign. Like, say I was contesting against 22 candidates! The Ballot paper was so confusing. Older people are much more familiar with “sheer” and “teer” and confused the “bat” with, say, a “wrench”. PTI’s 15,000 votes were rejected in my constituency alone because people got confused or folded it the wrong way.

Seventh, I had 157 polling stations in my constituency and on average 4 booths in one polling station. That’s sums upto to around 500-600 polling agents. We needed agents that were smart, experienced, loyal and educated which is difficult in rural areas and we had only 22 days to find 600 people who would not be bought by the opponents the night before elections. Other parties have been contesting for 30 odd years and already have a trained team.

Lastly PTI was contesting against two of the biggest and oldest parties in Pakistan. PPP and PML-N have their roots in those areas. Their supporters were from major biradaries of the area and were mostly ex-nazims and lambardars.

Having said all this, PTI has emerged as the 2nd largest party all over Pakistan. We got seats in Punjab and KPK. Sindhis have the same problem I explained earlier and will change gradually. Balochistan’s mandate is confusing as always. Therefore, all of PTI’s votes were IK’s votes. No other party in Pakistan now has a bigger vote bank. People talk to Nawaz Sharif’s personal vote bank. That’s not his vote bank to be honest. It’s the system. If that’s the case, why doesn’t he get the same votes every time? If PTI candidates work hard in their constituencies over the next 5 years, IK will sweep the next elections inshallah. People relied only on IK’s vote bank to succeed this time because there was no time. Next time, now that everyone knows about their constituencies, people should work hard and develop the party further.

So I have not lost hope at all. I mean how many people get to contest elections at 29 yrs of age For a party not backed by establishment, I think we did pretty well People talk to rigging but frankly there are other matters that need to be addressed too. Say, Like announcing the candidates a little earlier: p haha

P.S. We accept PML-N’s mandate and wish them all the very best.

309958_258021317669582_150976731_n.jpg

28 years old, Pakistan Tehreek E Insaf's MNA Murad Saeed from NA-29 (Swat) has refused to take any kind of security or protocol. Mr. Murad Saeed stated;

"I am not a thief, not corrupt, not a jilt. I don't want any kind of security, i will never led my poor people down. ALLAH Almighty will protect me!"

971965_10151472770509527_1233595098_n.jpg

Wait...I live in Model Town - Was there a Dharna here ? :what:

No, sir, the ISF had arranged a meeting there to contribute to the White paper and link up to an upcoming CNN report on the rigging.

ECP will not do it...coz thn their fav parties wud not b able to do riggin :meeting:

Yes, the Establishment has spoken and so have the puppets of Pakistan. The were given a choice to vote for change or more of the same and they choose the latter. Absolutely amazing.

Back
Top Bottom