What's new

Pakistan has one of Asia’s highest HIV prevalence rates

People living with HIV Aids in the world:

800px-People_living_with_HIV_AIDS_world_map.PNG

Source: UN Aids Report 2008

File:People living with HIV AIDS world map.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you are clearly trolling .

UNAIDS report 2011 is what i am looking for . That will tell us the latest truth . India may still be higher .

For you all that matters is that somehow you should be able drag India down . Truth and the Aids problem be damned .Get a life bilal or should i say rollingdays ;) ?

UNAIDS report 2011 is what i am looking for . That will tell us the latest truth . India may still be higher .

For you all that matters is that somehow you should be able drag India down . Truth and the Aids problem be damned .Get a life bilal or should i say rollingdays ;) ?

First you refused to accept the credibility of the CIA World Factbook, & asked me for the UNAIDS report; & when I give you that, you can't accept that either? What is wrong with you?

How different will the data be in 2.5 years? Trust me, not that much.

Where have I dragged India in here?

See Post # 13 to see what the UN Aids report has to say. I've given it to you already, you don't have to believe the CIA World Factbook report.

:rofl: bilal that map is from the report that came out in 2008 , I am looking for the one that came out in 2011 i.e this year . The O/P article talks about the latest 2011 report . Concentrate on that .:)

bilal haider derailing a thread yet again , no worries people will find the latest report on the net across the world and read about this problem . Hopefully all Pakistanis will not be in the same denial as you are .

---------- Post added at 12:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

lol 21% cannot be correct figure, cuz how can it be possible that around 40million Pakistanis have HIV Aids? Use some common sense guys.

And as bilal has put statistics that seems to make sense.:agree:

Pakistani media makes a decimal mistake in reporting and you refute the entire UN report on AIDS ? :lol:

Those older numbers appeal to you because they show you a good picture , these new ones don't because they show you quickly the situation is detiriorating .:P

HIV in Asia and the Pacific: Getting to Zero | ReliefWeb

According to the report, an estimated 4.9 million [4.5 million–5.5 million] people were living with HIV in Asia and the Pacific in 2009, a figure that has remained relatively stable since 2005. The majority of people living with HIV in the region are in 11 countries: Cambodia, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Papua New Guinea, Thailand and Viet Nam.

Across Asia and the Pacific, there was a 20% decline in new HIV infections between 2001 and 2009—from 450 000 [410 000–510 000] to 360 000 [300 000–440 000]. Cambodia, India, Myanmar and Thailand have reduced their HIV infection rates significantly:yahoo: with intensive, wide reaching HIV prevention programmes for people who buy and sell sex.

Found something more regarding the report for those interested .

The link for the original report is in the article itself .

HIV/AIDS: Pakistan has one of Asia’s highest HIV prevalence rates
Published: August 27, 2011
KARACHI:
Pakistan is among the 11 countries in the Asia-Pacific which houses a majority of the people infected with HIV, according to a new report from the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS).
Neighbouring India and China are also on the list, which includes Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Papua New Guinea, Thailand and Vietnam.

Launched at the 2011 International Congress on AIDS in Asia and the Pacific (ICAAP), the report, titled HIV in Asia and the Pacific: “Getting to Zero”, found that more people than ever before have access to HIV services across the region. But most countries in the region are a long way from achieving universal access goals for HIV prevention, treatment, care and support.
According to UNAIDS, HIV prevalence in Pakistan nearly doubled from 11% in 2005 to 21% in 2008. The greatest source of a spread in the virus was use of drug injections and the UNAIDS says that an estimated one in five people who inject drugs in Pakistan are HIV-positive.
Across the region, the report states, stigma and discrimination against people living with HIV and populations at higher risk of infection remain rife. About 90% of the countries in the region retain punitive laws and policies that effectively prevent people living with HIV from accessing life-saving HIV services.
Data suggest that a significant proportion of new HIV infections within key populations are among young people under the age of 25. In most settings, HIV prevention programmes are failing to sufficiently reach young people most at risk.
More AIDS resources urgently needed
The AIDS response in Asia and the Pacific is underfunded, the report found. Pakistan, it states, is among the five countries that funds the bulk of its HIV response from domestic sources but many countries in Asia depend heavily on foreign funding, particularly for the provision of antiretroviral therapy.
Increased investment of domestic resources, especially in middle-income countries, is critical for the ongoing regional response to HIV, says UNAIDS.
“Getting to zero new HIV infections in Asia and the Pacific will demand national responses based on science and the best available evidence,” said UNAIDS Executive Director Michel Sidibé. “HIV programmes must be sufficiently resourced and solidly focused on key populations. Investments made today will pay off manifold in the future.”
Published in The Express Tribune, August 27th, 2011.

i am doctor and and now for fact that HIV prevalence is 0.1%-0.05% in cities while less than 0.01 in villages..
and these figures are from UN estimates..we dont have any local figure as prevelence is too little for smaller studies to come up with estimates..
so i have no idea from where did this post came up..

also if you have prevalence more than 10% its a crisis like faced in African countries..its a nightmare well visible..do we see that around us..? obviously not...

From the report -

india accounts for half of asia’s hiV epidemic, with 2.4 million
(2.1–2.8 million) people living with hiV, 140 000 (110 000–160 000)
new hiV infections, and 170 000 (150 000–200 000) aids-related
deaths estimated in 2009 .

The report says Pakistan is home to 2 % of the AIDS patients in ASIA and India is 49 % :tdown: .

The report also says for India -

incidence declined by 50% between 2000 and 2009 due to
programmatic success in six high-prevalence states .
:yahoo:

The article only talks about aids through injecting drugs, not the overall state of aids patients in the world. Pakistan's aids problem mainly occurs through syringes, whereas for India, it is through unprotected sex.

Stick to PAKISTAN.
Leave INDIA's considerable AIDS woes out of this.

Yes the problem is pretty bad in India and better in Pakistan but as the report clearly states the incidence has decreased significantly in India .

While the Pakistani media is reporting that the Pakistani share has gone up .That is worrying .

We should worry about our own problems though , not each other's .

Irrespective of whatever Pakistan's rank is on HIV affectees list, we need to avoid the causes of HIV aids, like in Pakistan no one cares to see whether the syringe being used is new or used, the local unqualified dentists, barber shops etc. are sources of this. All what we need is proper know how of causes.

Back
Top Bottom