What's new

Pakistan, India have a lot to gain from mutually beneficial trade: Shehbaz Sharif

First solve Kashmir dispute in a fair manner. Then we can talk.

You didn't understand what I'm trying to say.... We like it or not no government on both sides will compromise further..... You have your share of kashmir and we have ours..... Compromising further will be sucidal for any government.....

But how long we can keep crying, keep compromising our development, keep loosing our men and children and how long we keep spending on arms..... Meaningless.... Let's be happy with whatever we got and make current boundary as international one and move towards the betterment of our people.....

Some kind of catharsis that India gave up land?
I couldn't understand that. Please explain.

You have a comprehension problem or you deliberately twist the words giving your own spin. If compression was for sale I'd make a killing selling you and your types dime a dozen. I know its futile to argue with you and quite a few Indians like you.
Then stop dislocating the thread.

I find it baffling.

For 75 years, Pakistan has talked of 'negotiating' on Kashmir.
For 75 years, it has turned out that to Pakistan, negotiating means giving up Kashmir to Pakistan.
Logical and consistent.

The baffling part comes with wondering what India will gain out of the abject surrender that Pakistan so hopefully looks to achieve.
It is baffling because Pakistan does not have military or economic leverage over India to succeed in this objective. And so, Pakistan relies on China to some day help them militarily achieve this aim. But in the meanwhile, Pakistan's necessary tilt towards China has put it in an awkward place with its real trade partner - the West. If not for CPEC or China FTA, perhaps a trade agreement with US or EU would have been negotiated by now. Historic relationship with the west would have facilitated such negotiations for Pakistan.

The fight over Kashmir has affected Pakistan more adversely than it can ever affect India. :pop:

Islamabad [Pakistan], June 1 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has said that Islamabad is looking to forge partnerships for its geo-economics strategy, especially within the region, which apparently includes New Delhi.

He was responding to a question about trade with India in an interview with Turkish media outlet Anadolu Agency ahead of his three-day visit to the country, Dawn reported. However, Sharif arrived in Turkey for the visit on Tuesday.

Shehbaz said that as part of its shift from geo-strategy to geo-economics, Pakistan is looking to forge partnerships, especially within the region, based on connectivity.

“Pakistan and India have a lot to gain from mutually beneficial trade,” he said as quoted by Dawn. “We are cognisant of the economic dividends that can be accrued from a healthy trade activity with India,” the Prime Minister said further.

It is to be noted that after coming to power in Pakistan in early April, Shehbaz Sharif has written a letter to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressing his desire for peaceful ties with India and the resolution of all the outstanding issues.

This comes in the wake of PM Modi’s congratulatory wishes to the then newly elected Pakistani counterpart. Sharif, in his reply, thanked PM Modi for congratulating him and said that his country desires peaceful and cooperative ties with India, reported ARY News.

In his first address to the National Assembly after being sworn in, Sharif had said, “We want good ties with India but durable peace is not possible until the Kashmir dispute is resolved.”

On Tuesday, India and Pakistan finalised and signed the annual report of the Permanent Indus Commission for the year which ended on March 31, 2022.

The Indus Water Treaty has survived the wars between the two countries and the freeze in bilateral relations.

The relations between India and Pakistan have been strained due to Uri, Pathankot and Pulwama terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir with New Delhi making it clear that talks and terror cannot go together. (ANI)

That means now we are NEUTRAL on Kashmir

It is baffling because Pakistan does not have military or economic leverage over India to succeed in this objective. And so, Pakistan relies on China to some day help them militarily achieve this aim. But in the meanwhile, Pakistan's necessary tilt towards China has put it in an awkward place with its real trade partner - the West. If not for CPEC or China FTA, perhaps a trade agreement with US or EU would have been negotiated by now. Historic relationship with the west would have facilitated such negotiations for Pakistan.

The fight over Kashmir has affected Pakistan more adversely than it can ever affect India. :pop:

Neither does india have the economic or military leverage over Pakistan to secure it's objectives against Azad Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan despite being more than 7× bigger than Pakistan and giving the full backing of the west and russia............. :azn:

Neither does india have the economic or military leverage over Pakistan to secure it's objectives against Azad Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan despite being more than 7× bigger than Pakistan and giving the full backing of the west and russia............. :azn:
India does not actively seek to take the territory under Pakistan's control. But India will not relinquish its claim because it is India's bargain for any future peace agreement with Pakistan. It is actually inconvenient for ruling political establishment in India to increase India's Muslim population by taking this territory. I agree with you that India cannot likely take this territory even if it seeks to do so in future. Any attempt to do so will result in nuclear warfare.

The status quo is a comfortable scenario for India given the reality of the situation. It gets even better with silence in LoC and lesser militancy in valley. It will be best if LoC becomes the International Border. But that may be wishful thinking on part. These are my personal views in the matter. Other Indians here may feel differently. :cheers:

That amounts to owning businesses in India?
yes of course he doesn't want to go against India because that will affect his relationship and business dealings with big industrialists like jindaal.People like jindaal who are connected with people in government like Modi and Amit Shah. Last time I heard Jindal was interested in importing some steel ore with the help of the sharif brothers, and of course sharif brothers were looking for their profit in the deal.

India does not actively seek to take the territory under Pakistan's control. But India will not relinquish its claim because it is India's bargain for any future peace agreement with Pakistan. It is actually inconvenient for ruling political establishment in India to increase India's Muslim population by taking this territory. I agree with you that India cannot likely take this territory even if it seeks to do so in future. Any attempt to do so will result in nuclear warfare.

The status quo is a comfortable scenario for India given the reality of the situation. It gets even better with silence in LoC and lesser militancy in valley. It will be best if LoC becomes the International Border. But that may be wishful thinking on part. These are my personal views in the matter. Other Indians here may feel differently. :cheers:

india does not actively seek to take Pakistani territory?.......amit shah says otherwise...... :azn::

[URLunfurl="true"]https://www.opindia.com/2019/12/ami...d Kashmir-caa-india-hindus-muslims-delhi/amp/[/URL]

Last edited:
You have a comprehension problem or you deliberately twist the words giving your own spin. If compression was for sale I'd make a killing selling you and your types dime a dozen. I know its futile to argue with you and quite a few Indians like you.
There is no longer any objective regarding Azad Kashmir or Gilgit Baltistan except in the fevered minds of some politicians.

yes of course he doesn't want to go against India because that will affect his relationship and business dealings with big industrialists like jindaal.People like jindaal who are connected with people in government like Modi and Amit Shah. Last time I heard Jindal was interested in importing some steel ore with the help of the sharif brothers, and of course sharif brothers were looking for their profit in the deal.
You are aware, of course, that India exports very large quantities of iron ore.

There is no longer any objective regarding Azad Kashmir or Gilgit Baltistan except in the fevered minds of some politicians.

You are aware, of course, that India exports very large quantities of iron ore.

You may have given up the idea but other indians havn't:

https://www.indiatvnews.com/news/in...-union-minister-kapil-patil-2022-01-30-757068

Of course this is correct.

However, from time to time, as PanzerKiel reminded us, some military genius tries to stage a coup de tete, and plonks 10,000 troops down in the middle of an uninhabited plain. A lot of excitement follows/followed.

india does not actively seek to take Pakistani territory?.......amit shah says otherwise...... :azn::

One odd statement here and there means that India just keeps its claim alive. It is one credential to show that the politician is a 'nationalist'. You will not find India talk about Pakistani side of Kashmir in international forum or ask Pakistan to return territory unless Pakistan initiates the topic. It is always Pakistan that brings up Kashmir everywhere.

India's lack of any diplomatic or military initiative to covet Pakistani side of Kashmir is evidence enough to support my view. You can choose to accept or reject this, I will not contest.

But how long we can keep crying, keep compromising our development, keep loosing our men and children and how long we keep spending on arms..... Meaningless.... Let's be happy with whatever we got and make current boundary as international one and move towards the betterment of our people.....
Its not in the interest of the elite. The show must go on.

Interesting.

How English has changed since I studied it 60 years ago.

I don't think I would be able to make myself intelligible in even a shop in the UK any more. I had thought the qualification at the end of my sentence would ward off the yobbie element, but it was not to be.

except in the fevered minds of some politicians.
Quite clearly, Kapil Patil is not considered a politician by the UK commercial element. Or perhaps his mind remains remarkably cool.

Of course this is correct.

However, from time to time, as PanzerKiel reminded us, some military genius tries to stage a coup de tete, and plonks 10,000 troops down in the middle of an uninhabited plain. A lot of excitement follows/followed.
So what if Kashmir is settled more or less with the status quo - maybe with some leverage on IWT and other economic guarantees? Maybe Siachen to be demilitarized?

The current conventional and nuclear arsenal and delivery capabilities along with response time mean that all things being equal and leadership incompetence or indecision negated India despite a large number of qualitative updates still has no victory against Pakistan.
So what will the population of Pakistan eventually after smacking their politicians and elite start thinking when they realize they have it pretty secure and yet have a disproportionate and misaligned security apparatus still out there?

Someone will ask why (34.0156858, 71.5606371) is necessary as a residence and why should a taxpayer pay for it

Back
Top Bottom