What's new

Pakistan Navy detects another Indian Kalvari class submarine

I am pretty sure the submarine was travelling openly and had no intention to submerge as it was on a "Show of Might" mission and wanted to be seen by Pakistanis.

Indian Navy frequently carries out Show of Might missions with Kolkata class destroyers and Scorpene submarines to intimidate adversaries.

Hahahaah,,, show of might !

who let you through grade 5 ?
or did you massage a few monkeys out of school ?

There are PN systems which direct P-3Cs which the IN wants to test as well to see where it can operate freely and to chart paths for future wartime missions to go after Pakistani naval support lines and flank PN surface systems.

They are also carrying out surveys of the ocean along with sea states as part of this mapping to tune their long range sensor systems.

The Arabian sea is very hospitable to submarine operations and the IN wants to exploit it as much as it can along with knowing enough to not let Pakistan exploit it.

US and UK subs have operated freely all the way up to a <100km away from the Pakistani shore without detection because the PN was still considered a third force by the Army. That has changed greatly as expired thinking has slowly been retiring

Assuming rational actors I have been wondering about this whole incident:

I am assuming some part of the submarine's mission is probing our defenses. In that case we shouldn't publicly disclose when and when we didnt detect them. Perhaps we have detected them way more than 3 times and choose to do a release on some detection for other reasons.

That is ISPR is letting IN know of the detection because it sees a deterrence value in our detection setup (whatever that is).

Why did ISPR do a press release on the detection? If our goal was only getting signatures of their submarines, the press release doesn't help. In that case we should have let the IN come and go with relative ease while recording their signatures. No need to possibly scare them away by saying we see you.

I believe we do not want IN subs roaming around in our waters. I suspect they may be here mapping the waters/seafloor, which is what we want to prevent.

So through that possibly flawed exercise in logic I can reverse engineer the situation.
1. IN subs have the mission of probing our defenses and mapping the waters/seafloor.
2. PN has detected IN several times more than what is said in the ISPR press release. This is because it makes sense for the PN to not reveal all their detection ability.
3. Doing the press release on saying we detected you thrice says we can detect you sometimes so please stay away and stop mapping our sea floor. So that the Indians don't know the full extent of our detection capabilities (trying to fail the IN probing mission) and deterring future missions (trying to fail the IN mapping mission).

But then I know very little of naval, let alone submarine, peacetime operations and warfare so I am just trying to think of interesting background to the whole incident :)
I guess we didn't deter them enough. 🤔

Apologies for double post. This post was meant for this thread.

I guess we didn't deter them enough. 🤔

Apologies for double post. This post was meant for this thread.
Seas are huge. There's a limit from a cost and human resources standpoint to manned submarines. The only plausible way to build a persistent deterrence net is to lean on UUVs, USVs, and SOSUS.

Seas are huge. There's a limit from a cost and human resources standpoint to manned submarines. The only plausible way to build a persistent deterrence net is to lean on UUVs, USVs, and SOSUS.
Now that's just cheating. You're wishing for things already in the pipeline to give credence to your PN wishing well theory lol.

Now that's just cheating. You're wishing for things already in the pipeline to give credence to your PN wishing well theory lol.
I tell you, if enough of us wish hard enough, we'll get an aircraft carrier.

Come on, arms up everybody:

1646328457599.png

Last edited:
There are PN systems which direct P-3Cs which the IN wants to test as well to see where it can operate freely and to chart paths for future wartime missions to go after Pakistani naval support lines and flank PN surface systems.

They are also carrying out surveys of the ocean along with sea states as part of this mapping to tune their long range sensor systems.

The Arabian sea is very hospitable to submarine operations and the IN wants to exploit it as much as it can along with knowing enough to not let Pakistan exploit it.
Is PN carrying out these things too as IN is carrying out?

I tell you, if enough of us wish hard enough, we'll get an aircraft carrier.

Come on, arm's up everybody:

View attachment 820469
We need 4 Type 052Ds

US and UK subs have operated freely all the way up to a <100km away from the Pakistani shore without detection because the PN was still considered a third force by the Army. That has changed greatly as expired thinking has slowly been retiring
The same surveys are conducted at our end too, I believe. PLAN ocean floor survey and sea surveillance ships are regular visitors.

Last edited:
94 NM from gawadar is too close, why we are allowing this? Why not sink one and then see if they dare to come near.
Bajwa is a pacifist and its been observed many times, now he is busy building his house and importing italian marbles and other stuff from abroad. Such a shame.

I am pretty sure the submarine was travelling openly and had no intention to submerge as it was on a "Show of Might" mission and wanted to be seen by Pakistanis.

Indian Navy frequently carries out Show of Might missions with Kolkata class destroyers and Scorpene submarines to intimidate adversaries.
If I remember correctly, on a similar "show of might: , they sunk their own sub. When leaving own harbour.
God speed mate

Back
Top Bottom