What's new

Pakistan ranked 159 out of 180 countries in press freedom: report

anilindia

Reaction score
.PARIS: Pakistan continues to be one of the most dangerous countries for journalists, a fact corroborated by the annual report of press freedom by media watchdog Reporters Without Borders (RSF) in which Pakistan has been ranked 159 out of 180 countries.

The same group placed Pakistan at 158 last year in its annual report.

Uncertain security conditions, risk of terrorism related activities and overwhelming political influence have been all cited as the reasons behind Pakistani media’s lack of freedom.

However, Pakistani media isn’t the lone sufferer in worsening security circumstances.

Media freedom worldwide suffered a “drastic decline” last year in part because of extremist groups such as Islamic State and Boko Haram, Without Borders said in its annual evaluation released Thursday.

“There has been an overall deterioration linked to very different factors, with information wars, and action by non-state groups acting like news despots,” the head of the Paris-based group, Christophe Deloire, told AFP.

The Reporters Without Borders 2015 World Press Freedom Index stated that there were 3,719 violations of freedom of information in 180 countries in 2014 — eight per cent more than a year earlier.

All parties in conflicts raging in the Middle East and Ukraine were waging “a fearsome information war” where media personnel were directly targeted to be killed, captured or pressured to relay propaganda, it said.

The Islamic State group active in Syria and Iraq, Boko Haram in northern Nigeria and Cameroon, and criminal organisations in Italy and Latin America all used “fear and reprisals to silence journalists and bloggers who dare to investigate or refuse to act as their mouthpieces,” said the watchdog, known by its French initials RSF.

North Africa and the Middle East contained notable “black holes” in which “entire regions are controlled by non-state groups in which independent information simply does not exist,” the group said.

“The criminalisation of blasphemy endangers freedom of information in around half of the world's countries,” the report said, noting that religious extremists sometimes also go after journalists or bloggers they believe do not sufficiently respect their religion.

China, Syria, North Korea among worst -
RSF's ranking put Iran, China, Syria and North Korea among the countries with the very worst levels of press freedom out of the 180 evaluated.

Repression of journalists in Ukraine during its early-2014 uprising against its pro-Kremlin president, and in Turkey during anti-government demonstrations earned both spots in the bottom quarter of the table.

“Police misconduct” during the Occupy Central protests in Hong Kong earned that territory a slide to 70th position.

The best-rated nations were northern European states such as Finland, Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands and Sweden, with New Zealand, Canada and Jamaica also making the top 10.

Pakistan ranked 159 out of 180 countries in press freedom: report - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

And if you pull out true figures indian media is state owned they are not even independent media, the rating of indian media is dependent on who talks more negatively about pakistan, so there is no media at all in india that is free pakistan media is far more superior and mature in its content and is not state owned .

And if you pull out true figures indian media is state owned they are not even independent media, the rating of indian media is dependent on who talks more negatively about pakistan, so there is no media at all in india that is free pakistan media is far more superior and mature in its content and is not state owned .
Hmmm.... This thread is about Pakistani Media not Indian :)

Pakistani media is one of the freest in the world in terms of its content but their freedom 'figures' have been brought down by the killing of several journalists.

Freedom itself has become subjective though, any newspapers in Denmark or Finland for example would ever publish a cartoon mocking Holocaust?

Even though it is off topic, You seems to have quite a lot of information on Indian media......... True, other than Doordarshan every media is state owned media......

i Watch it a lot and all i get is they talk about Pakistan and present it a terrorist state isn't that true sir ?? On the other hand our media has started to retaliate that as well some how so where would it go ??

i Watch it a lot and all i get is they talk about Pakistan and present it a terrorist state isn't that true sir ?? On the other hand our media has started to retaliate that as well some how so where would it go ??

You know what there close to 1000 channels in India, my be 500 news papers and numerous online ones....... all these channels are 24/7 and they do cover fair amount of time and news from Pakistan, Just imagine even if they cover 1 news from pakistan a day will take make it 1500 news across India.... . But assuming that they survive on negative news about pakistan will be stupid...... But there are few current affair groups who works on sensationalising thing, for example times group...... You can see the way people (sane indian members) bash them here in PDF for their way of journalism.......

Edit: Let us keep India out of this thread, as the topic being discussed is Pakistani media..... I used to be a regular visitor of dawn and news.pk, but once i joined PDF, i stopped because, i get enough infos here itself....

You know what there close to 1000 channels in India, my be 500 news papers and numerous online ones....... all these channels are 24/7 and they do cover fair amount of time and news from Pakistan, Just imagine even if they cover 1 news from pakistan a day will take make it 1500 news across India.... . But assuming that they survive on negative news about pakistan will be stupid...... But there are few current affair groups who works on sensationalising thing, for example times group...... You can see the way people (sane indian members) bash them here in PDF for their way of journalism.......

Edit: Let us keep India out of this thread, as the topic being discussed is Pakistani media..... I used to be a regular visitor of dawn and news.pk, but once i joined PDF, i stopped because, i get enough infos here itself....

Thanx for the information sir .........i appreciate your thoughts on the issue ...........

But using negative sentiments abt pakistan by the Indian media is the way things should be . Anyways, coming back to pak media.

I think militant wings within political parties share the greatest share to hamper press freedom in pakistan !

Zionist conspiracy to undermine Pakistan,,,,,Pakistani media has more freedom thn Indian media.....this ranking system is a sham :angry:

Now independent media should be at ground zero to verify the death of 92 'suspected' terrorists by airstrikes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom