What's new

Pakistan receives $2 billion from Saudi Arabia: Ishaq Dar

I do. That’s why I am exhorting our Chiefs to learn from across and move their backside to do something.
As long as we are in the right direction I couldn't care less who is implementing these policies. Some people here are trying to undermine this but IMO it's more important than other industries. I wish to see ourselves as developed in agriculture as the Netherlands.

As long as we are in the right direction I couldn't care less who is implementing these policies.
In all mature nations Army looks after security while respective departments look after finances, foreign policy, agriculture etc etc. Why can’t all these institutions be made strong and capable enough to handle their jobs? Why were they not allowed to grow? Why are most important civilian setups headed by Ex-military officers?

Corollary - Can Army look after anything and everything?

I can’t think of any prosperous nation where Army does everything.

That’s a big judgement on someone. I hope it is not so because they aren’t doing Paksiatn’s bidding anymore.

I would call them super smart. They have realised what real politik is and have played it quite well in the recent past. Saudi has spread it’s wings and has shown a hint of a finger to the US. Qatar and UAE have prospered and have shown decent policy maturity. Relations with Israel is another pragmatic step.

It is Paksiatn that has failed to gauge the drift. It is blaming Ummah for leaving it in lurch, while all it’s ills are it’s own doing.

You Indians, if you follow your own anti-Pakistan blogger Shehkar Gupta, would know that Pakistan's indicators were ahead of India from 1947 and well into the 1980s. Mostly the same class of judiciary, the same class of military officials, the same class of intelligentsia, the same class of beauracracy as now but Pakistan wasn't as bad as now. The rot in Pakistan has multiple causes, the primary being the blowback from Pakistan's involvement in the USA-USSR war in Afghanistan. But, yes, Pakistan has its own major drawbacks: Feudal culture which restricts women's participation in large parts of Pakistan. A military which engineers regime-changes mostly for wrong reasons. A very large, semi-literate population. And the infusion of foreign cash since 1979 has destroyed the socio-political fabric of Pakistan.
BUT... the root cause of Pakistan's problems are Pakistan being a 'Security State', which itself is because of the conflict over Kashmir. I doubt if Pakistan were a 'normal' State in 1979 Pakistan would have got involved in the USA-USSR proxy war in Afghanistan so stupidly with drastic affects on Pakistan which exist to this day.
Also, while Pakistanis are in perpetual breast-beating mode, why not compare with Sri Lanka's recent misfortunes? There, an island nation with no more the internal conflict, continuity of power and policies, and no significant external enemy, still managed to falter spectacularly! In case of Pakistan, it is Pakistan's foreign affairs which have messed up Pakistan both externally and internally! Look at Iraq: A country of much better educated people AND with huge natural resources ended up where it is because of foreign policy blunders starting 1979. Look at Somalia too: Similar foreign policy blunder destroyed a once promising country a few decades ago.

On behalf of the prime minister and army chief, I extend our heartfelt thanks to the leadership of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia for their great gesture and support by placing the said deposit of $2 billion with the State Bank of Pakistan,” the minister added.
what exactly was the role of the army chief here?
It reflects the growing confidence of our brotherly countries
KSA waited until IMF deal before it deposited the monies - what does that tell us about the confidence of KSA on Pakistan as a country

The Pakistan government was expecting about $2.5bn from the IMF, but it was given $3bn.
I am really not sure - is this supposed to be a win

Hah? I was in Karachi when Zia died. And immediately Benazir's star rose with lines of SUVs going to the Bilawal House because the politicians sensed PPP's comeback--which did happen. Zia was Nawaz's patron in chief and his death meant a blow to Nawaz Sharif, at least for short term.

But let's not go off topic.

This is a welcome development, if true. And kind of confirms my understanding that several of Pakistan's well-wishers/backers are behind the Purge-Imran drive in Pakistan. They want the anarchy of the past 15+ months to end.
Agree things were getting out of control
Ik was too much of commie spending money on ehsas fund etc and universal insurance

We need capitalist mindset and more development first

Hopefully they can get rid of him soon.

Anyway my concern is where is the exchange running at?
In short term it will go down but what about long term of it goes down due to export or foreign investment/remittances rise then no more cheap investment for me

You Indians, if you follow your own anti-Pakistan blogger Shehkar Gupta, would know that Pakistan's indicators were ahead of India from 1947 and well into the 1980s.
I don’t call Shekhar Gupta anti-Paksiatn. He is pretty neutral and is critical of even India many times. That is besides the point, it is a fact that Paksiatn did well till 80s.

“BUT... the root cause of Pakistan's problems are Pakistan being a 'Security State', which itself is because of the conflict over Kashmir.”

Who made it so? It was your establishment which ensured that Kashmir remained at forefront of everything else. Economy took a backseat while they launched 1965 and 1999. 1999, was a distinct possibility of lasting peace when Vajpayee rode the peace-bus. But Musharraf was planning Kargil at the same time.

People claim that Kashmir is our jugular. There are many nations with worse security issues amongst them, but they trade and they ensure that economic activity continues. What better example then China and Taiwan?

Last edited:
Good, but Saudi Arabia needs to help Pakistan improve its economy.

why do they "need" to help Pakistan? what exactly is Pakistan giving them that they cannot get anywhere else?
in fact, they were almost sidelined by creating a grouping with turkey, malaysia not too long ago

i pik allah you wont find more greedier ppl than ppl who are born in third world like pakistan.
its these ppl make these countries into shitoles.
we used to take pride in Pakistan here. But now, it is just a basket filled with just impotent and useless greedy pigs - like a Pak friend said - he accidentally ate pork but then realised what it was. Laughing he said, i at least realised but in Pakistan these bastards at the top are complete haramkhors who have eaten up entire country and still have the guts to perform namaz.

Kafiristan???

Yes, they need to do the MBS treatment on all the elites, feudals and generals.

Then line them up and either give hand or other organs or give up all their ill gotten wealth.

Love Salman for that. That is truly what Pakistan needs is to line these haramkhors on the back of donkeys and parade them.

If this is for the upcoming repayment of the Chinese loan, why not KSA directly pays it to China. Will save a lot of time, you know.

Won't you mention IMF loans brownie Indian? Oh wait IMF loans are halal.

Off topic but kind of disagree.

The Arabs are lending now after IMF agreed to lend. The Arabs would earn hefty interest on loans with sovereign guarantee. It’s strictly business.

Pakistan holds very little strategic value for the Arabs now since the emergence of India. The utility Pakistan army probably has to Arabs would be in the form of providing manpower in case of war or guarding duties. And maybe its in the interest of Arabs and Indians to not have a destabilized Pakistan nor a prosperous Pakistan. So this kind of fits into that equation.

The Pakistani diaspora who have genuine stakes in Pakistan have already shown their hopelessness with the reduction of remittances. This will be a long term downward trend.

This is exactly how it is. The Saudis have suddenly become generous after IMF provided a loan to PDM.

Every major power except China has absolutely no stake in investing in Pakistan. We all know why China wants to see a stable and economically prosperous Pakistan. They have invested billions in Pakistan.

Last edited:
what exactly was the role of the army chief here?

KSA waited until IMF deal before it deposited the monies - what does that tell us about the confidence of KSA on Pakistan as a country

I am really not sure - is this supposed to be a win

KSA has zero interest in Pakistan. Pakistanis have zero interest in Pakistan.

Let's face it. Pakistan is not a stable environment due to military interference.

As long as we are in the right direction I couldn't care less who is implementing these policies. Some people here are trying to undermine this but IMO it's more important than other industries. I wish to see ourselves as developed in agriculture as the Netherlands.

You can't even reach the toes of The Netherlands. The Dutch have built a knowledge based economy. In The Netherlands the military doesn't interfere in political matters. The people are very well educated. The literacy rate is very high. The Netherlands attracts an amazing amount of foreign students and researchers. Pakistan doesn't have any such foundation.

In Pakistan extremely corrupt and illiterate political leaders get elected. These people can't run a candy shop. Not even in a thousand years can Pakistan reach the level of The Netherlands. The Pakistani agriculture sector is a wasteful and underdeveloped sector. Even when this sector is supposed to be backbone of Pakistan. It goes to show that Pakistanis are generally lazy and unwilling to improve. The mind boggles. How can a country remain so backward and underdeveloped in sectors that are supposedly the backbone of the economy? Mind numbing.

Last edited:
I do wish Saudis and other friends would stop bailing out these corrupt Pakistani politicians. With these bailouts.

I do wish Saudis and other friends would stop bailing out these corrupt Pakistani politicians. With these bailouts.

The bitter fact is that Pakistani masses will be repaying loans and interest for the rest of their lives. Generations upon generations.

A country that is only living to take and repay loans obviously hasn't got a very bright future. The only group in Pakistan that enjoys some economic privileges is the Pakistani army.

KSA has zero interest in Pakistan. Pakistanis have zero interest in Pakistan.

Let's face it. Pakistan is not a stable environment due to military interference.

You can't even reach the toes of The Netherlands. The Dutch have built a knowledge based economy. In The Netherlands the military doesn't interfere in political matters. The people are very well educated. The literacy rate is very high. The Netherlands attracts an amazing amount of foreign students and researchers. Pakistan doesn't have any such foundation.

In Pakistan extremely corrupt and illiterate political leaders get elected. These people can't run a candy shop. Not even in a thousand years can Pakistan reach the level of The Netherlands. The Pakistani agriculture sector is a wasteful and underdeveloped sector. Even when this sector is supposed to be backbone of Pakistan. It goes to show that Pakistanis are generally lazy and unwilling to improve. The mind boggles. How can a country remain so backward and underdeveloped in sectors that are supposed to be the backbone of the economy? Mind numbing.
wish I could like this a 100 times!
what exactly does the army have to do for creating a great agri economy?

also, wafting to be "like Netherlands" - is like showing the moon. lets start by getting better yields first.
I mean, how difficult is creating drip irrigation and canals? people created dams in pre-history as well with much less money.

even now, the end goal seems to be "investments from outside". can we start with
"lets get self sufficient, with our own strength first,"

always its about promising the moon and hand over land,resources, monies to the army chief who usually ends up with billions of dollars in the went or saudi and the next chief is promising us "we will become like sweden" -

Back
Top Bottom