What's new

Pakistan signs the deal for two more Damen Class OPV.

Does anyone have any ideas abkut how the earlier Damen corvettes have been kitted out? Any news will be appreciated. I think this would be a frunch issue as PN'S earlier forays into integration of weapons have not been successful. A successful result would signify overcoming of this hurdle.
A
2x4 AShM;
1x CIWS;
1x STAMP-type gun;
2x 'Special Mission Containers' (that can technically carry ASW stuff like sonar and torpedoes, but we don't know if the PN will go that route).

This Batch-II OPV is on another level though. It's bigger (OPV 2600 vs. OPV 1900) and seems to carry the 2x4 AShM suite plus a RAM-type PDMS and VLS for a SAM system.

I wonder if the RAM-type PDMS and the VLS point to the Aselsan Levent and the Roketsan Hisar-A or Hisar-O...

Does anyone have any ideas abkut how the earlier Damen corvettes have been kitted out? Any news will be appreciated. I think this would be a frunch issue as PN'S earlier forays into integration of weapons have not been successful. A successful result would signify overcoming of this hurdle.
A
Not fully yet.
As far as I know, both ships have received the 25mm naval gun (STOP) and Phalanx CIWS. Anti Ship missiles are still pending. But the decision about type of missile which is to be installed has been made.

Since we usually follow the western system of metrics, Not very important but still:

How can PN create its own classification of ships and label it a corvette, when the manufacturer labels it as an OPV ?
the role in which it will be employed ....

The Pakistan Navy is silently adding to the teeth.
I understand Damen is building this ship. But just curious does Pakistan have shipyards capable of building such type and class of ships?
And Btw which types of guided missile weapons will this be armed with?

The Pakistan Navy is silently adding to the teeth.
I understand Damen is building this ship. But just curious does Pakistan have shipyards capable of building such type and class of ships?
And Btw which types of guided missile weapons will this be armed with?
They should have the capability, but I'd wager efficiency and backlogs (from the Babur-class and Hangor-class programs) are likely preventing them from building the Damen OPVs cost effectively.

Great to see additional vessels, PN needs to increase its surface combatants fleet to 50-60 major ships in both small medium and large ships.

yes they do . its yarmook class corvettes 2 delivers 2 more on order .

Not fully yet.
As far as I know, both ships have received the 25mm naval gun (STOP) and Phalanx CIWS. Anti Ship missiles are still pending. But the decision about type of missile which is to be installed has been made.
And what is that decision?

xmpq3r8Y_x96.jpg

Intel Consortium PSF
https://twitter.com/INTELPSF
@INTELPSF
·
1h
The ships are built by the Dutch defence contractor Damen, at their Galati shipyards in Romania. The Yarmook program originally called for buying OPV 1900 ships from Damen and converting them to mil-spec corvettes with Pakistan Navy weapons systems and subsystems, for a total final tonnage of 2300 tonnes.

The two new ships have a larger tonnage, at least 2600 tonnes. The increase in weight is to accommodate upgrades in the air defence aspect of the original Yarmook class corvettes, as the new ships will add SeaRAM CIWS anti-air missile systems, and a VLS cell for surface-to-air missiles (SAM).

The SeaRAM CIWS is a German-American complete combat weapon system that automatically detects, evaluates, tracks, engages, and performs kill assessment against ASM and high speed aircraft threats in an extended self-defense battle space envelope around the ship.

It has 11 launchers for RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missiles (RAMs). The VLS cells on the ship appear to be 4-6 in number, armed with a yet unknown (possibly LOMAD) SAM. The rest of the capabilities are same as the smaller Yarmook class.

The cost of the ships are unknown although the original Yarmook class cost was around 75-90 million USD per unit, these ships will certainly be 30-40 million costlier. The warships are littoral multipurpose corvettes and will be fitted with with a SMART-S MK2 AESA radar, remote weapon station for a main naval cannon (Aselsan STAMP), two tri-cell cruise missile launchers (Harbah dual-use AShCM/LACM, 750 km range) and two triple cell torpedo launchers.

The corvettes also feature advanced LPI radars, a modern EW suit, CMS, ELINT/ESM and a close range acoustic weapon. The corvette also has a helicopter deck and hangar, as well as two RHIBs..
Are these for real or just speculation

Which SAM and CIWS are we looking at. I think you mentioned a German system for F22Ps as well - so far all I could find is Sea RAM but that also includes US Raytheon as a co developer?

PN is getting Albatross NG for Babur class ships so that could be MR SAM for new OPVs too as it make sense.

Last edited:
PN is getting Albertsons NG for Babur class ships so that could be MR SAM for new OPVs too as it make sense.
You meant Albatross NG? Please advise.
Regards
A

A question from informed members. Do these ships have more than 8 missiles onboard? Is there any storage and loading mechanism once launchers are emptied?

1658662355004.png

A question from informed members. Do these ships have more than 8 missiles onboard? Is there any storage and loading mechanism once launchers are emptied?

View attachment 864813
Nope. The missiles are reloaded at dockyard not at sea.

Yes I mean Albatross NG which PN already procuring.
Even 6-8 missiles in VLS (GWS-26) will be ample capability addition for ships of this size. PDM is there too.

As @Basel pointed out, the Albatross NG was already acquired and is being fitted on Babur Class. These ships are not that much smaller than Baburs and the entire benefits of CAMM-ER is that it is a narrow profile missile allowing for a small footprint for its VLS. Its own VLS system allows 1.5 - 2 times as many cells to fit into a the same area as a mk 41 cell would, though a mk41 or sylver A50 system can quad pack these missiles. The point is that its vls can be fitted in ships with limited deck space like 2600t corvettes. Id imagine 12-16 cell vls will be used here as it was for baburs. In addition to a PDMS like FL-3000N

Back
Top Bottom