What's new

Pakistan—the Ship is Sinking - Lt Gen Tariq Khan (R)

I stopped reading the moment he wrote PTI has become irrelevant. Entire Politics is running around Khan. Everyone is looking what Khan will do and this man is delusional enough to say PTI is irrelevant.
I don't blame him. It's hard not to think like this when PTI has been meandering through this mess, and mainly coasting on the fact that the current government is unpopular and Imran Khan is popular. PTI itself is nothing without Imran Khan.

A lot of overseas Pakistanis feel the same. When PTI was ousted from power, a lot of overseas Pakistans simply gave up on Pakistan.

We can add him to the "How these FA pass people got through" list. He's practically absolved his former institution of all wrongs; what an effing moron. It's like seeing the ocean in front of you with its blue color but denying it by saying it is yellow because you can never be wrong.
I think he is reading the tempo wrong. PTI is only doing things when it makes sense, and changing course when the usefulness of tactics run out; such as the Jail Bahro campaign ending.

I’m surprised as a man who led troops in combat he can’t see the strategic and operational maneuvers PTI is making, even when PTI appears to not be making many tactical moves.

IK seems to be going the Mandela route. Let the system and events take their course and have the people clamor for a popular democrat leader to reset national politics.

IMHO, it’s PTI and IK that is incrementally dismantling the viability and relevance of PML-N, taking over their center right mantle.

He is right that this is mostly an IK effort, and if IK doesn’t build up the profile of other members of his party as viable successors, PTI will become irrelevant.

Pakistan—the Ship is Sinking​

By Lt Gen Tariq Khan (R) : Kashmir Newsline March 2, 2023

I see chaos before me and confusion all around – the future dark and hope illusive. People have become irrelevant. The judiciary is an accessory to crime and the government an accomplice to anarchy.

US senator Frank Lautenberg famously said: “One thing I have learned in my politics is that if one of the parties is shameless, the other party cannot afford to be spineless.”

PTI, the most popular party in the country entrusted with the hopes and expectations of the people, is slowly becoming irrelevant. PTI has erred, as it blundered in response to machinations of the PDM and their supporters. It resigned from the national assembly allowing the PDM to play a one-sided match. This was followed by resignations from the Punjab and KP provincial assemblies. The ‘Azadi March’ was halted. They volunteered to go to jail, which has been called off after the SC verdict that the elections in Punjab and KP have to be held in 90 days.

These are valid steps that are taken in a conventional political environment where moral appeal has weightage. The PDM has no qualms about being labelled as liars, cheats and thieves. You cannot insult a cockroach by calling it a cockroach.

Their speciality is blackmailing through illegal, clandestine videos made on all those individuals and their families who have anything to do with the judiciary, the police, the government regulatory bodies or the law enforcement agencies. The people of this country are hostage to bribery, extortion, coercion and threats by their own government. Any probability of a wrong being addressed or righted through a moral, ethical, judicial, administrative or an act of governance is highly remote and next to impossible.

So who can the people appeal to? None! No such office exists today in this ‘land of the pure’ that prides itself in the label that it has accredited to itself: ‘The Islamic Republic of Pakistan’. It is far from being an Islamic entity and even farther from being a republic of any kind. It must rename itself as ‘the lawless land of crime and corruption’, with its coat-of-arms changed to display the three proverbial monkeys – see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil.

It is a travesty of democracy where the media is muzzled, opinions considered libellous and any criticism labelled as a terrorist threat. The blatant lies of the government, though so transparently public, still suggest and insist that they only took this government position to provide relief to the people. That a 6% growth in the GDP has floundered to less than 2 % and inflation has reached over 40 % has no appeal to anyone’s conscience. The government, in an unprecedented exhibition of callous perfidy, unmoved by the misery that they caused to the people of this country, brazenly and shamelessly, amended laws so as to extricate themselves from the cases of theft and corruption. They then proceeded to accommodate the largest cabinet in the history of this hapless nation: 76 ministers of which 23 do not even have a portfolio since there were no ministries left. Thus, the political responses and the peaceful reactions of the PTI may look reasonable and reflect a high moral pedestal but they will remain ineffective.

So are there any corrective measures for such an aberration? I cannot find any conventional steps that can shake the conscience of the government or the powers that be, other than the integral power of the people. It is the people who are sovereign. It is the people who first make up a State and its territories and then agree to be served by a government that is representative of the majority. It is the people who then approve the Constitution which is a document limiting the powers of the government thus protecting the people.

When the ethos of the State is lost, it spawns separatist movements and the country is plagued by insurgencies. When the Constitution is violated, it leads to tyranny where injustice prevails. When the government is incompetent, indifferent and corrupt, an economic collapse is inevitable. Insurgency, anarchy, economic instability and injustice are the ingredients that make a failed State.

Is Pakistan a failed State? The people and the leadership can see all the mess unfold before them. Yet, there is no sign of remorse. There is an overwhelming indifference as people go about their business as if nothing has happened and what may happen will pass. It will not. The ship is sinking and we are all going down with it.

The country is struggling to remain afloat as it is disowned by its own people, abandoned and set adrift in an ocean flooded by disloyalty, corruption and selfishness. One wonders who could measure up to the task of saving the State. Is there anyone who can stand tall, above board, with courage and moral standing?

PTI needs to understand that their centre of gravity is the people of this country. The State belongs to the people. People matter and it is they who define Pakistan, not some ruling elite, dubious bureaucrat, self-righteous mullah or government mandarin. If these people, the multitudes that follow PTI, are not organised to come out on to the street to express their outrage, nothing will happen and it will lead to political failure and PTI’s undoing.

It’s now, when all else has failed, that only the people on the street, can make a difference. Unless a physical display of anger, frustration and resentment is projected, the political preferences as being assessed and measured, will never be translated into reality. The Government has to be overwhelmed by the shock and awe that huge crowds can evoke.

Lt. Gen. Tariq Khan retired as head of Pakistan’s Central Command and has led the Frontier Corps to victory against TTP.
I like Gen Tariq - I feel he is an honourable man hobbled by the country and his institution which displays great valour on one side and great treason too.

The traitors usually wear the rank of general - with their allegiance shifting from the country to the people who promoted them and the system that gives them their plots in DHA, their status, their pensions, their future jobs. From Major on ward the system is flawed and deeply corrupt and continues to produce mostly low grade general staff that are very bad at the day job but very good at the subversion of the constitution and the law.

PTI simply represents the aspiration of at least 80% of the people - the right to choose our own government and to choose our own national policies - general Bajwa (the bastard) suddenly gave up on Kashmir, on Israel on Palestine on relationships with China - how is it one man or even 100 men wearing pips can simply ignore the needs and wishes of 220 million people and twist and turn the law and national policies at their whim and ego? and esp now that we know that most of our officer class is extremely stupid and backward - classic Banana Republic generals - full of huff and puff chests full of false bravado medals, lack of any real education or intelligence but wield the power of unity of command of 600K armed men. Where art thou, thy oath to this cursed land ?

I am a very mild mannered person with a genial disposition. Life has been very kind to me so I have no reason to be unreasonable or to be filled with hate. I mean I could have been an Indian. Baal baal bach gayay.

However over the last few months, I have been consumed by intense anger which I did not believe existed inside me. My head is filled with violent thoughts. And I am someone whose wellbeing is not tied with that of Pakistan. My immediate family members are all abroad. I have spent last twenty three years living in some of the most dynamic places on Earth and over the last thirty years, I have only spent four years in Pak. And I am not a PTI/IK fanboi. But still, this burning anger.

Pakistan I grew up in was very different. Materially, the country was much poorer. Despite growing up under a "dictatorship", we walked with our head held up high. As kids, we were inspired by sportsmen who dominated in three fields. by our foujis who held bigger and hostile foreign powers at bay and we looked up to statesmen like Sahibzada Yaqub Khan who represented Pakistan abroad. Overall, the country was held in great esteem in foreign capitals.

In the nineties situation became bad. We saw violence of the magnitude which people today will not believe. But we shrugged our shoulders as we were not personally impacted. Economy started tanking but we never lost hope. We knew that country was watched by benevolent eye and their would be course correction when things became serious. And that is how things transpired.

I stopped following developments in Pak after US government overthrew Musharraf. I knew how things would end up. But IK's government gave us hope and more importantly, government delivered. Handling of COVID in Pak was much better than in UK. And all the while, PTI's government was dealing with financial crises.

But now we are being punished. Evil forces have gained control and people who we trusted to protect us are now siding with entities that look to do harm. And even the jawans are not doing what they are being paid to do. Their bahaduri will be of no use if they don't rise up now. The signs I am seeing are not good. I hope and pray that I am wrong.

How can it be scandalous if a person once married to a White Briton, that too Jewish, can not only become the Prime Minister but become the Lone Star of hope for a nation in despair. (According to some).

But some are fiercely arguing that it is not a ship at all but a submarine.
I'm sure you are smart enough to know the distinctions in these two ostensibly parallel situations.

Pakistan—the Ship is Sinking​

By Lt Gen Tariq Khan (R) : Kashmir Newsline March 2, 2023

Lt. Gen. Tariq Khan retired as head of Pakistan’s Central Command and has led the Frontier Corps to victory against TTP.
Oh no, another one about to be arrested, treason case filed likely. Soon the word will come out that he was under investigation anyway for wrong doings. Why is it that these (ret ) PA Officers only come and say these things when they are either already under investigation or are about to be ( just mind boggling. )

Stoking passions or grief... should read the dead horse theory!

Instead, him and likes want to keep people interested. Ex-premier pleads to same powers that be to let him back... showing them the crowds he still gathers... smothering the revolutionary fervor of the masses. Dragging them from one pole to the other... until no breath is left.

It is a sad tale... but not unseen.
Pakistan sadly has nothing but Manchurian candidate(s). And, a regime that doesn't want to dismount.

Institutions are akin to nerves serving the body... the masses. Yet, these powerful and overbearing enough colluding with outsiders and eating it's host like parasites...
Move on when they've taken their fill... while keeping the corpse in the clutches of it's masters.
Completely disagree

Pakistan has great leaders and excellent intelligent people(5%) but stupid awaam(95%)

The issue isn't leader ship but awaam saying khata hey tu lagata be hey..

If awaam change their attitude you will see more people coming into politics that are now on sidelines in NGOs and other non govt organizations

Completely disagree

Pakistan has great leaders and excellent intelligent people(5%) but stupid awaam(95%)

The issue isn't leader ship but awaam saying khata hey tu lagata be hey..

If awaam change their attitude you will see more people coming into politics that are now on sidelines in NGOs and other non govt organizations

Flip it around!

People adjust to changing realities... 95% that you call stupid are dynamic and docile enough that ... if their environments are changed, say, to any thing outside of Pakistan... they'll adjust, thrive even!

It has nothing to do with their stupidity... rather the discourse in current polity... right or wrong tunes are being played. Right or wrong distractions offered. People do not lead their discourse, that would be putting cart before the horse. They're led!

The very reason this is happening is because the leadership isn't natural, nor native to people themselves... they must use pomp and theater. Keep them engaged.

I'm sure you are smart enough to know the distinctions in these two ostensibly parallel situations.
Honestly not. If I want, I can escape by saying Hypocrisy. If you can offer a cogent explanation, I will appreciate that.

Flip it around!

People adjust to changing realities... 95% that you call stupid are dynamic and docile enough that ... if their environments are changed, say, to any thing outside of Pakistan... they'll adjust, thrive even!

It has nothing to do with their stupidity... rather the discourse in current polity... right or wrong tunes are being played. Right or wrong distractions offered. People do not lead their discourse, that would be putting cart before the horse. They're led!

The very reason this is happening is because the leadership isn't natural, nor native to people themselves... they must use pomp and theater. Keep them engaged.
Environment was there .. people refuse to vote for clean people

An honest person would never win elections in Pakistan simply because people dislike honest person in Pakistan and make fun of them

It's part of our culture

Environment was there .. people refuse to vote for clean people

An honest person would never win elections in Pakistan simply because people dislike honest person in Pakistan and make fun of them

It's part of our culture

You answered it yourself, partially.
The assumption is that right ones are coming up the lader and anonymous vote is fair, thus the leader could or should be the right person, right?

Yet, you say honest person would never win.
The issue isn't even that at all. Honest people don't pull rallies, make large claims and do theater. They don't have to... thus rightfully so, the ones who play along in the right hands and right circles make the top. That is true of anywhere and everywhere. No one knew Obama, in fact he didn't even win his first election, he was appointed. Corporate donations, lobbying and super pacs are legal. Only a select few can make it through. Those who don't understand this, keep dutifully voting, paying homage to system, the believers!

To understand this... you must disengage from the theater to see how it is directed... it is mostly hot air!

I am a very mild mannered person with a genial disposition. Life has been very kind to me so I have no reason to be unreasonable or to be filled with hate. I mean I could have been an Indian. Baal baal bach gayay.

However over the last few months, I have been consumed by intense anger which I did not believe existed inside me. My head is filled with violent thoughts. And I am someone whose wellbeing is not tied with that of Pakistan. My immediate family members are all abroad. I have spent last twenty three years living in some of the most dynamic places on Earth and over the last thirty years, I have only spent four years in Pak. And I am not a PTI/IK fanboi. But still, this burning anger.

Pakistan I grew up in was very different. Materially, the country was much poorer. Despite growing up under a "dictatorship", we walked with our head held up high. As kids, we were inspired by sportsmen who dominated in three fields. by our foujis who held bigger and hostile foreign powers at bay and we looked up to statesmen like Sahibzada Yaqub Khan who represented Pakistan abroad. Overall, the country was held in great esteem in foreign capitals.

In the nineties situation became bad. We saw violence of the magnitude which people today will not believe. But we shrugged our shoulders as we were not personally impacted. Economy started tanking but we never lost hope. We knew that country was watched by benevolent eye and their would be course correction when things became serious. And that is how things transpired.

I stopped following developments in Pak after US government overthrew Musharraf. I knew how things would end up. But IK's government gave us hope and more importantly, government delivered. Handling of COVID in Pak was much better than in UK. And all the while, PTI's government was dealing with financial crises.

But now we are being punished. Evil forces have gained control and people who we trusted to protect us are now siding with entities that look to do harm. And even the jawans are not doing what they are being paid to do. Their bahaduri will be of no use if they don't rise up now. The signs I am seeing are not good. I hope and pray that I am wrong.
Brilliant. Must read. My sentiments are beautifully expressed here. Thank you.

You answered it yourself, partially.
The assumption is that right ones are coming up the lader and anonymous vote is fair, thus the leader could or should be the right person, right?

Yet, you say honest person would never win.
The issue isn't even that at all. Honest people don't pull rallies, make large claims and do theater. They don't have to... thus rightfully so, the ones who play along in the right hands and right circles make the top. That is true of anywhere and everywhere. No one knew Obama, in fact he didn't even win his first election, he was appointed. Corporate donations, lobbying and super pacs are legal. Only a select few can make it through. Those who don't understand this, keep dutifully voting, paying homage to system, the believers!

To understand this... you must disengage from the theater to see how it is directed... it is mostly hot air!
Again respectful disagree

Everyone knew IK was honest since 1996 and yet no one voted for him because they said he is too honest. He was well popular did enough realizes and got candidates in half of constituents

He still lost in Punjab.

Only won in Karachi and KPK due to drones effect.

And because KPK historical do tend to vote for new candidates (hence why PMLN PPP ANP MMA have all formed govt there in the past)

Honestly not. If I want, I can escape by saying Hypocrisy. If you can offer a cogent explanation, I will appreciate that.
In Islam it is permissible for Muslim men (not women) to marry women from the people of the book. Jemima fit this criteria and on top of them she converted to Islam and then moved to Pakistan, learned Urdu and totally immersed herself in the local culture.

The same cannot be said of General sahab's daughter, hence problematic in the public's eyes.

Back
Top Bottom