What's new

Pakistan to import vegetables from India duty-free

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Pak to import vegetables from India duty-free

CHANDIGARH: The Pakistan government has allowed duty-free import of 15 varieties of fresh vegetables from India through the Attari check post at Amritsar . The move comes after Pakistani importers and trade associations pushed their government to take steps to reduce inflation in the country following the floods that devastated crops in Pakistan.

Currently, five items including garlic, tomato, potato and onions are exported to Pakistan through land route. Following the Statutory Regulatory Order (SRO) issued by Pakistan’s commerce ministry on November 2, import of green chillies, fresh ginger and capsicum was allowed. The other 12 items in the list include Indian cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, cucumber, green pepper, lady’s finger/okra, gourd/marrow, bitter gourd, radish, arum/arvi, green coriander and tinda.

Importers who have been sending perishable items through the bi-weekly Samjhauta Express have largely welcomed the development. With just one or two bogeys being allotted (each bogey carries 50 tonne) for the perishable items, the long journey was a dampener as some of the produce got wasted and did not fetch good price.

Humayun Sawhney, the owner of Lahore-based Sawhney Impact, said, “With this new amendment, we expect an increase in the trade of perishable fruits and vegetables from India. Even though the import of vegetables was allowed through train, it was not successful as the vegetables used to get wasted due to the three-to-four day journey, which includes loading, unloading and journey period.”

Pak to import vegetables from India duty-free - The Economic Times

^^^^^^^
Interesting. Can someone tell me what is the food inflation in India at the moment??? I am a big fan of MMS however some of the actions of GOI these day's gets on my nerve big time. Am i alone suffering from this syndrome???

I thought Pakistanis were proud non-vegetarians ;)
Why import veggies? :lol:

^ lol .......

yaar even we dont have sufficient to eat.wat govt is doing???

Trolls... tell me what kind of duty Pakistan shall pay while importing stuff?

Pakistan is one of the biggest market on Asia and in recent years Pakistan markets are flooded with Indian goods without any trade agreement.

If you are unhappy with your govt. than complain it on local forum, how can it help you if I endorse your sentiments?

^^^^^^^
Interesting. Can someone tell me what is the food inflation in India at the moment??? I am a big fan of MMS however some of the actions of GOI these day's gets on my nerve big time. Am i alone suffering from this syndrome???

It is around 13% YOY right now... but since we do not have an efficient storage and transportation facility within the country, the fresh vegetables may only be from the local markets in Punjab across the border. For the rest of the country the prices hardly change if we don't export.

It is more related to demand on both sides. If some place in India is growing more veggi but not able to transport it to distance part of country in sufficient time , and there is demand on other side of border which is nearer compare to other part in India and getting bit more money and given a chance like duty-free import people will do that.
It better some one is eating it otherwise it will go to garbage.

Its fine he happens in many countries. Here in USA people go for grocery on Canada(I know many Indian family) side because they get at cheaper price even after driving for 40 mins one way.

About inflation .. both India and Pakistan needs to do something. Because of corruption prices of all food items are sky high. Even people like me(Means who are earning in $$$) when go to India feel heat of those pricing.

Is India reciprocating to Pakistani gesture?
Shall we expect Pakistani products export to India allowed on exempted duty basis?

^ as much as I would like a reciprocating gesture from GOI, I feel GOP has done it under internal pressure and not as a business initiative. Hence I personally doubt GOI would take any such step. It's purely business, you guys are paying for it, we're only too happy to sell and earn some cash.

Is India reciprocating to Pakistani gesture?
Shall we expect Pakistani products export to India allowed on exempted duty basis?

You can expect a duty exemption if India needs something which it can only get from Pakistan on a reasonable cost.

Pakistan is not doing a favor by exempting import duty, it is doing so to meet the demand and check inflation. If we could handle out food transportation efficiently we would have worried about keeping our inflation levels at check in other parts of the country and not to export to Pakistan.

You should rather be thankful that Indian govt is helping Pakistan by allowing exports to help ride over the food shortage after the floods.

^c'mon dude GOI isn't doing any favors. We're getting paid for it. Business as usual my dear friend. :cheers:

^ Yeah for sure we are getting paid... but you should also look at the irony of inflation in other parts of the country as well. And @batman came to argue that Pakistan was doing a favor to India to allow imports as well as exempt duty on these items.

I wish India's fresh vegetable distribution and storage would have been atleast half as good as it is here in the US. We would not be seeing such inflation in India.

Pak to import vegetables from India duty-free

CHANDIGARH: The Pakistan government has allowed duty-free import of 15 varieties of fresh vegetables from India through the Attari check post at Amritsar . The move comes after Pakistani importers and trade associations pushed their government to take steps to reduce inflation in the country following the floods that devastated crops in Pakistan.

Currently, five items including garlic, tomato, potato and onions are exported to Pakistan through land route. Following the Statutory Regulatory Order (SRO) issued by Pakistan’s commerce ministry on November 2, import of green chillies, fresh ginger and capsicum was allowed. The other 12 items in the list include Indian cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, cucumber, green pepper, lady’s finger/okra, gourd/marrow, bitter gourd, radish, arum/arvi, green coriander and tinda.

Importers who have been sending perishable items through the bi-weekly Samjhauta Express have largely welcomed the development. With just one or two bogeys being allotted (each bogey carries 50 tonne) for the perishable items, the long journey was a dampener as some of the produce got wasted and did not fetch good price.

Humayun Sawhney, the owner of Lahore-based Sawhney Impact, said, “With this new amendment, we expect an increase in the trade of perishable fruits and vegetables from India. Even though the import of vegetables was allowed through train, it was not successful as the vegetables used to get wasted due to the three-to-four day journey, which includes loading, unloading and journey period.”

Pak to import vegetables from India duty-free - The Economic Times

This trade is already underway. i have a friend in Bombay who insures some of the business. He tells me his turnover has increased substantially post the floods in Pakistan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom