What's new

Pakistan's digital ID card locks out millions

Kingdom come

Reaction score
Country
India
Refugees, migrants, women, transgender people and nomadic communities are among those without the vital computerised national identity card.

After three years of repeated attempts to get her digital national identity card, Rubina – a woman from Karachi in Pakistan – decided to take her battle to court, winning a landmark victory.

Until then, Pakistanis had not been able to get the Computerized National Identity Card, or CNIC, unless they presented their father’s ID card – an impossibility for many people, including those like Rubina who were raised by single mother

The card is vital to vote, access government benefits including public schools and healthcare, open a bank account or apply for jobs. “I would turn up there, and be told to bring my father’s card,” said Rubina, s., 21

My mother raised me after my father abandoned us soon after my birth – how could I furnish his identity papers then?”

Rubina’s frustration drove her to file a petition at the high court in Sindh province, which in November ruled that the government agency that oversees the CNIC must issue her a card based on her mother’s citizenship record.

For Rubina, the decision meant she could apply to take over her mother’s job as an attendant in the state education department when her mother retired.

More widely, her case ends the effective exclusion of children of single mothers from the ID card scheme, said Harris Khalique, secretary-general of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, a nonprofit.
Without a CNIC, neither can any public service be accessed, nor can any banking transaction be conducted,” he told the Thomson Reuters Foundation .“In short, one has no rights at all as a citizen.”

The agency in charge of the CNIC, the National Database and Registration Authority, has said it is striving to reach people who have so far been excluded.

“The government has a clear policy that people who are supposed to be registered in the database will not be excluded,” said Salman Sufi, head of the prime minister’s Strategic Reforms Unit, which oversees the implementation of federal policy.

Marginalised left out
Established in 2000, the National Database and Registration Authority maintains the nation’s biometric database, and says it has issued some 120 million CNICs to 96% of adults in the nation of about 212 million people.

Each card comprises a 13-digit unique ID, a photograph of the person, their signature, and a microchip that contains their iris scans and fingerprints. Yet millions of people in Pakistan, including women, transgender people, migrant workers and nomadic communities are still without a CNIC.

More than 1 billion people globally have no way of proving their identity, according to the World Bank.

While governments across the world are adopting digital ID systems they say are improving governance, the United Nations special rapporteur on human rights has said they exclude marginalised groups, and should not be a prerequisite for accessing social protection schemes.

A study of migrant workers in Karachi by the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan last year showed that women were more likely not to have a CNIC, putting them at risk of destitution if their husband died or left the family.

The article is missing a MAJOR chunk of the information out.

I myself went and got someone a card made on the basis of their B-form. The process was done, but for the final sign off the child had to have either the mother or the father come with him and sign off on the document as the legal guardian. The mother for the kid went and got the final step done.

There is definitely more to this story.

As for the intro of the article where it starts with refugees and migrants, why should an illegal refugee be given a CNIC? There are other processes for them.

The UK is shipping migrants and refugees out to Africa...is that better?

The article is missing a MAJOR chunk of the information out.

I myself went and got someone a card made on the basis of their B-form. The process was done, but for the final sign off the child had to have either the mother or the father come with him and sign off on the document as the legal guardian. The mother for the kid went and got the final step done.

There is definitely more to this story.

As for the intro of the article where it starts with refugees and migrants, why should an illegal refugee be given a CNIC? There are other processes for them.

The UK is shipping migrants and refugees out to Africa...is that better?
Can you explain more

Pakistani laws and bureaucracy are retarded in general.

My wife went to go make my son’s passport recently and some senior afsar there was making a big stink about the child’s father being there.

This was the second time she went because they misspelled my son‘s name in English even though it was written in English on his birth certificate...

Anyways, he was like the child’s father needs to come. She was like, he’s in US currently and you guys had no problem making the one before without him being here. So after making her wait for hours, requesting my passport, then making her go scan the image I had sent and wait a few more hours, he finally gave in.

I’m sure he did all of this because he has a tiny pecker and needed to exercise his authority/stalling her out for ‘incentive to do his job‘ money.

And don’t get me started on the fact that they misspelled by son’s name and then instead of fixing their error, charged me again to remake a new passport for him.

This is one of the many reasons I hate pakeez.

Last edited:

My wife went to go make my son’s passport recently and some senior afsar there was making a big stink about the child’s father being there.

This was the second time she went because they misspelled my son‘s name in English even though it was written in English on his birth certificate...

Anyways, he was like the child’s father needs to come. She was like, he’s in US currently and you guys had no problem making the one before without him being here. So after making her wait for hours, requesting my passport, then making her go scan the image I had sent and wait a few more hours, he finally gave in.

I’m sure he did all of this because he has a tiny pecker and needed to exercise his authority/stalling her out for ‘incentive to do his job‘ money.

And don’t get me started on the fact that they misspelled by son’s name and then instead of fixing their error, charged me again to remake a new passport for him.

Yeah bro I understand your pain
Next time you can renew it online in the usa…..easier than doing in pk

I had a minor issue too. I deposited the fee at NBP in Rawalpindi while applied at Islamabad office (stupid rule that u apply in area of your address in cnic). So i had to manually go to Rwp ppt offuce and get them to “transfer the fees” to isb office, can u imagine how dumb that is. Only then they allowed collection of passports fir my kids.
Some rules and laws are so archaic and stupid…..

Anyway we just use nicops and canadian passports. Can you guys use usa passport with nicops? Its easier

As far as i know, i never gave iris or eye scan fir nicop/cnic
Its only fingerprints they ask and verify. I don’t think article is really there lolz….author making shit up

Yeah bro I understand your pain
Next time you can renew it online in the usa…..easier than doing in pk

I had a minor issue too. I deposited the fee at NBP in Rawalpindi while applied at Islamabad office (stupid rule that u apply in area of your address in cnic). So i had to manually go to Rwp ppt offuce and get them to “transfer the fees” to isb office, can u imagine how dumb that is. Only then they allowed collection of passports fir my kids.
Some rules and laws are so archaic and stupid…..

Anyway we just use nicops and canadian passports. Can you guys use usa passport with nicops? Its easier

As far as i know, i never gave iris or eye scan fir nicop/cnic
Its only fingerprints they ask and verify. I don’t think article is really there lolz….author making shit up

My wife and son are not US citizens and this was his first passport(pakistani). I am in the process of emigrating them to the US.

I guess Chai-pani ke liye do rupiya is standard across the subcontinent.

They will harangue you until you bring out the big guns (some one you know makes a telephone call) then everything is super fast, finished in ten minutes.

Here is a Bangladeshi one, I guess they all more or less look the same with encrypted data storage and anti-fraud mechanisms.

sonia-smart-card1.gif

It's always like this when the government decides to implement more “security measures.” They don’t consider the people who might get hurt because of these decisions and the complications it causes.

They're fully available to illegal afghanis, anti state elements, even Indians for a low price. Sb bikta hai, just pay the right price and you can even have a PM of your choice.
Brother, that used to be the case in the past, but it is no longer true. I am having trouble getting my CNIC at the moment, Complying with their ludicrous demand is a pain in the _____.

It's always like this when the government decides to implement more “security measures.” They don’t consider the people who might get hurt because of these decisions and the complications it causes.

That’s why I have always been a fan of fake IDs. They are a bit risky, but you at least get more privacy and more opportunities to act. You can easily order one from https://idgod.to or a similar website, and you will be fine if you use it carefully and correctly.
It will save you lots of time talking to officials and trying to get real documents.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom