What's new

Pakistan's P-3C vs. India's P-8I :: India, Pakistan and the Naval Balance

We have enough ammunition to create a safari park of Aircraft carrier in Indus Oceans would make great addition to Marine life santuary no doubt

P8 While its nice and dandy however P3C is enough for us to Air Craft carriers and Other Ships

Its enough for our needs @ Present

We have the Anti Aircraft Carrier Missile - and that is the Game changer

P8 is no contest even our F7 can knock it out or heck even a armed K-8

Sure P8 has a slightly improved radar , so what we get the information we need from P3 Orions and that works for us

1) You can knock our carriers with mighty tank killers- ok then what the MiG-29K are going to do. And dont think that IN still in 1971, and thinking of attacking of Karachi port, the CBG never going to even 1000 Km near to the Pak Coast, it main purpose would be SLOC. BTW, these tank killers how going to bypass multiple defenses of Kolkata or of Shivalik. Next year, Barak-8 is going to be deployed, and in first refit INS Vikramaditya and Kolkata will be equipped with Barak-8. How these missile or aircraft going to bypass MF-STAR of Kolkata.

2) You can knock out the whole brigades of Arjun, T-90, T-72, maybe around 600-700 tanks are deployed in Rajasthan with mighty Al-Khalid. Without taking a hit or war of attrition. Amazing Analysis.

3) You can takeout the P-8I with K-8, if you think so, then you are crazy. During wartime, P-8 never going to be deployed alone, maybe with MiG-29s or LCA.

And bro what about this K-100 (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Maybe 50-100 is within IAF inventory. This is one of the black project of IAF.

Bro, I always say dont ever underestimate the power of your enemy. If you think thats going to be a cake walk. then you are way wrong.

Something that I find funny in these type of threads

Subject: aircraft carrier- Pak fan boys- we have anti aircraft carrier missiles, frigates, submarines ,f16,jf17
Subject: p8i: Pak fan boys- we have missile,frigate f16,jf17,submarine
Subject nuke sub: Pak fan boys- we have frigates,missiles ,submarines,f16,jf17

So in their minds -during a war, India is only allowed to use only one of its assets while Pakistan will use its numerous if not all assets against our one ship/plane to which we are restricted to.

I think as PN surface and Submerge fleet are quite less in numbers then PN should be looking to acquire more P-3Cs from US and even and AWACs version too.

I think 30 P-3Cs would be enough.

Comparing s p3 of forty years ago with s state of the art p8 costing ten times as much.

Get serious plz lol

Bro, the carriers dont run alone, it calls Carrier Battle Groups, And please give me the details of your carrier killer. Please.

Its called the "AzadPakistan20009" raket!
Lots of fan-boys here spout garbage about some 'fictional' carrier killer missile. While no Carrier is likely to be sunk by any missile. Read some discussions here earlier about this. Among the meaningful inputs there were posts by the likes of @Penguin and @Oscar and myself where we wrote about the construction of Carriers in present times. Also read up about attacks/accidents on Carriers from the USS Yorktown in WW2 to the USS Forrestal in Viet Nam.

One is time tested and the other is new but unproven system.

Capability needs to be tested or else it is useless.

Well said bro...
Pakistan is simply wasting money on JF-17's as they are not proven systems. You should go with Mirage 3's as they are time proven systems.
I agree with your point but there is something called context of discussion, and in this discussion this proven and unproven philosophy simply doesn't exists because of huge time gap of systems.

Well said bro...
Pakistan is simply wasting money on JF-17's as they are not proven systems. You should go with Mirage 3's as they are time proven systems.
I agree with your point but there is something called context of discussion, and in this discussion this proven and unproven philosophy simply doesn't exists because of huge time gap of systems.

I suggest you read US Navy's analysis on both P3 and P8.

It's okay ;)

Weren't my points valid?
Correct me if i am wrong. Thanks in advance....

You have a valid point, but comparing a new system that is barely in operation to system that has been PROVEN to be effective since cold war is a bit flawed, or at least doesn't warrant a blanket assumption. Once P8 gets it's full dose of operation, we would be in a better position to judge. P3 is an ancient platform, however, just like anything else, the technology on board today's P3 is much newer than when they came out in 1960s. It's more like F-16 BLK15 and F-16BLK52 are worlds apart, even though both are called F-16s. The BLK52 can go in battle with any 4th/4.5th gen aircraft, one on one. BLK15s can't.

If you compare P8 with the original Orions, P8 wins hands down. However, US Navy didn't operate a system for 50 years with half a century old technology. So where P8 will continue to evolve, it is the end of upgrade life for P3 Orions. Hope that clears it out for you.

You have a valid point, but comparing a new system that is barely in operation to system that has been PROVEN to be effective since cold war is a bit flawed, or at least doesn't warrant a blanket assumption. Once P8 gets it's full dose of operation, we would be in a better position to judge. P3 is an ancient platform, however, just like anything else, the technology on board today's P3 is much newer than when they came out in 1960s. It's more like F-16 BLK15 and F-16BLK52 are worlds apart, even though both are called F-16s. The BLK52 can go in battle with any 4th/4.5th gen aircraft, one on one. BLK15s can't.

If you compare P8 with the original Orions, P8 wins hands down. However, US Navy didn't operate a system for 50 years with half a century old technology. So where P8 will continue to evolve, it is the end of upgrade life for P3 Orions. Hope that clears it out for you.

You are right. But for old platforms we can upgrade them to a certain level. So for P3C's, they have reached their limit of upgradation whereas P8 is a new platform and can be upgraded for a long time. In current scenerio itself P8 is far better platform than P3C's. In coming time this gap will only increase as in future P3C's won't get very much upgrade as they are too old to be upgraded and US navy itself has moved for P8's.

Pakistan Navy operates world's youngest P-3C orion airborne plane.This plane is equipped with E-2C hawkeye airborne early waring and control systems.P-3C orion usually used for MPA (maritime patrol aircraft) role.
P-3C Orion has 10 hardpoints (weapon stations) on which it can carry air to surface missiles , anti-ship missiles and variety of torpedoes.
Currently Pakistan has 7 P-3C Orion planes.
a7ee10e4d7b2405a19a6d0631ed6d924.jpg

I would like to admit, that the Balance between the Pakistani and Indian navy is un matchable!

yes spirits won the wars, but weapons also important.

AZADost: 6254411 said:
Just becasue a country has a variant of plane that is slightly advance with slight improvement of technology does not means that the version before it was completely useless

P3Orion is used by major Navies of world and its sufficient for Tracking Submarines and its intended use is enough for Pakistan

Sure the P8 might be , a bigger plane , more recent technology but the items we have are still enough to take out Navy Submarines , not to mention the arrival of Anti Sub Helicopters from China we have

Lets not forget we are getting 4 more Anti Submarine Frigates OHP class from 2015-2016

View attachment 112692

We have Tripple Punch vs Enemy

a) OHP frigate 1 , and 3 arriving
b) Anti Submarine Helicopters
c) P3Orions 11-13+

View attachment 112711

View attachment 112722

Lol.....congratulations nd kind information we have that all thing way decade before..

In my humble opinion it is ridiculous to compare an aircraft based essentially on the 60’s technology to a 21st century design.

Let us be clear; P-3C is an excellent aircraft and performs all the tasks required of it to perfection. Despite the airframe design being more than 50 years old, it is bristling with state of the art avionics. However there has to be a reason why the US decided to replace it with P-8 Poseidon. The answer is clear from the following article.

http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/...ice-from-the-p-3c-orion-to-the-p-8a-poseidon/

For us the most important question should be, does Pakistan need P-8 and how its induction in the Indian Navy affects the Naval Balance?

Firstly, Pakistani coast is far smaller than Indian coast line. PN could do with the Poseidon as well but the “Cost vs Benefit” makes P-8 too onerous. Secondly, there is no naval balance; it is only “Imbalance” between Pakistan & India in the naval terms. Given that India has 14 frigates, improved capability of detecting submarines from the air won’t make much of a difference against PN submarines.

In my view acquisition of P-8 by IN is primarily meant for detecting & countering the Chinese nuclear submarines, especially for the protection of her aircraft carriers. Indian Navy always had more than sufficient naval assets to deal with PN even without the Poseidon.

Back
Top Bottom