What's new

Pakistan’s rupee falls fast as default fears intensify: Financial Times

Pakistan’s rupee falls fast as default fears intensify

I have been presenting default as another option for some time now. It may not be the total disaster as some fear. After all, many other countries have had to go through such a step, drastic as it is, and come out at the other end of the tunnel.

Last edited:
Even though many here constantly bad mouth the west, US and France will probably put a rescue pkg a la Paris round. China and KSA may also offer something.

It is important that the SL kind of inflammation is not allowed in Pakistan - it is just too big in terms of population, nuclear arsenal, radical groups, regional connectivity and most importantly proximity to India

China has refused to help Pakistan yesterday. COAS begged them yesterday and Chinese response was

1) we told mr coas almost 5 years ago that Nawaz and govt swindled billions of CPEC dollars and till date no action against them

2) the same people are in power, we will not meet them and will not provide bail out package..

Last i heard baja is devising a response to china on emergency basis

These fears are overblown.. A country which does 62 billions in export+remittances can not default for couple of billions.. Somebody is making tons of money by fanning all these rumours. Shorting PKR , make market crash and then pickup shares at dirt cheap prices.

I have been presenting default as another option for some time now. It may not be the total disaster as some fear. After al, many other countries have had to go through such a step, drastic as it is, and come out at the other end of the tunnel.

I think default would absolutely be a total disaster for Pakistan. Other countries have come out the other end because their circumstances were different. European countries that defaulted in recent history, such as Portugal, Greece and Ireland, had a much more robust economy than Pakistan. Their level of industrialization, human development and education levels were far better and so were their international standing and relations with other wealthy nations. This was the reason for their relatively quick recovery. The same is true for Argentina to a lesser extant; their gdp per capita is 4 times that of Pakistan. However, they still have not been able to fully recover and still need IMF bailout from time to time.

200.gif

I think default would absolutely be a total disaster for Pakistan. Other countries have come out the other end because their circumstances were different. European countries that defaulted in recent history, such as Portugal, Greece and Ireland, had a much more robust economy than Pakistan. Their level of industrialization, human development and education levels were far better and so were their international standing and relations with other wealthy nations. This was the reason for their relatively quick recovery. The same is true for Argentina to a lesser extant; their gdp per capita is 4 times that of Pakistan. However, they still have not been able to fully recover and still need IMF bailout from time to time.

Of course it is up to Pakistan to decide what to do here. I am just presenting a choice that is possible, that is all.

Well the thieves and those who put them in power should either start running or reach deep into their pockets. A default means chaos at best.
Nothing can save pakistan now
Confidence shattered takes decades to recover as we saw in the 1970s

It wont be quick recovery

Happy now Mr. Bajwa. Has your inflated ego been served.

I say, cut the defense expenditure amd salary of the corp commanders by half.

Someone needs to pay for this fiasco and it ain’t the politicians.

Back
Top Bottom