What's new

Pakistan's Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy gets an Oscar!

Do you observe the word MUSLIM being rubbed off from the headstone ?

so what?, if he isnt a muslim doesnt mean he is not a pakistani, qadiyanis are not muslims and that a fact that he qas a qadiyani

and i dont see the tombstone being destroyed or the grave is desecrated etc

go to your own indian problem first and stop pointing minute childish things OK

what is heaped upon there

and i dont find any problem, its actually great to see tombstone detailing about his achievement

did he win the Nobel Prize or did he not?

thats all that matters....these bharti bozos are just trying to politicize a thread in which politics doesn't even belong

Then you haven't seen too many Iranian films.

which films are you specifically talking about?

i have seen children of god, colour of paradise, i have read plot of recently nominated 'a separation' but i dont see they are talking about rape problem

one can never fin a good positive image film makers in pakistan i guess

shoeb mansur makes movies about 'rape problem' of pakistan

and nowsomeone makes documentary about the 'acid throwing' of pakistan

no positive contribution just pleasing the west

now please some one stand up and make movie about mukhtara mai, please

thanks

I wouldnt look at it that way unless I am insecure and rabidly opposed to shedding light on the negative things that go on in our country (we know that indian and western media are happy to pounce on those golden opportunities to do so, despite the laundry list of crap and ills in their own societies)

I mean -- look at Slumdog millionaire. It made indians look like dirt poor slum dwellers who jump in human feces, get killed by wild face-painted hindu children, and sell eyeballs of beggars....but regardless, as the plot progressed it shed a positive note on that country in question too; it aroused curiousity and interest. That in itself isnt a bad thing. Pakistan already seems to have aroused some curiousity by the world - not all for the right reasons needless to say. Unlike ''those people'', we dont claim to be something we're not. We have our flaws and I think film is one of the best mediums to shed light on and raise awareness about these flaws -- socio-economic or political.

I saw a movie called ''Dondurma''..a Turkish film. It showed Turkiye as a politically unstable country during the height of the cold war...political assasinations, torture, coups etc. etc. But it also showed the resilience of a nation and people and one got a good impression of Turkish society in the end.

purely entertainment, but with some messages that we ought not to ignore

Now this is a contradiction of sorts ; Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy has done documentaries showing the dark side of Pakistan including "Children of the Taliban" and "Pakistan's Double Game" and has received such brickbats and spite from the establishment including labeling her as a "liberal fascist", now the same people will come rushing in hordes to shower accolades on her. But she has stood steadfast and gone on about her job.

Hypocrisy is a well-known Pakistani trait, with which everybody is very comfortable. Let it not worry you at all. :D

Congratulations on her achievement!

Hypocrisy is a well-known Pakistani trait, with which everybody is very comfortable. Let it not worry you at all. :D

Congratulations on her achievement!
And American, Indian, Chinese. etc
They all(including us) call it self interest.

Well, I will tell you that while all humans have that trait of hypocrisy, Pakistani society has undoubtedly raised it to an exquisite art! :D

a serious allegation, please clarify yourself first

Well, I will tell you that while all humans have that trait of hypocrisy, Pakistani society has undoubtedly raised it to an exquisite art! :D
what abt u guys have a specialization in hypocrisy and trolling here:devil:

Learnt it from our Friends.. or Masters was it.. Cant tell what conscience Ayub khan was trying to clear.

a serious allegation, please clarify yourself first

Hypocrisy is a human trait, yes, but the level, and the degree of comfort with that level, that is ingrained in present day Pakistani society, is absolutely the pinnacle.

Anyway, that discussion would be off-topic here.

I now want to see the movies by the Pakistani lady recognized by this accolade that is the topic here! :D

---------- Post added at 01:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

Learnt it from our Friends.. or Masters was it.. Cant tell what conscience Ayub khan was trying to clear.

I am not going any further off-topic here for fear of sanctions. :P

Hypocrisy is a human trait, yes, but the level, and the degree of comfort with that level, that is ingrained in present day Pakistani society, is absolutely the pinnacle.

i need metrics and nomenclature to be able to QUANTIFY it, otherwise what you are saying is purely a generalization over all Pakistanis

yeah theres hypocrisy, it exists everywhere....there are scores in the country you chose as your home who are no different.

i need metrics and nomenclature to be able to QUANTIFY it, otherwise what you are saying is purely a generalization over all Pakistanis

yeah theres hypocrisy, it exists everywhere....there are scores in the country you chose as your home who are no different.

Make another thread for that discussion if you'd like! :D

get-attachment.aspx_-650x487.jpg

Saving Face (in production) for HBO and More 4 (UK)

Release date: March 2012

Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy is co-directing ‘Saving Face’ with acclaimed director Daniel Junge. The film chronicles the life of a British Pakistani plastic surgeon who donates his time to heal acid victims in Pakistan. The film also documents the journey of these women who come to terms with the violence in their lives and how they fight against all odds to learn to live again. This documentary closely follows the survivors of acid burn attacks and the role of parliamentarians that are actively involved in passing legislation against the attackers.

Saving Face (in production) | Sharmeen Obaid Films

Bio

Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy is an Emmy award winning documentary filmmaker. Her films include PAKISTAN’S TALIBAN GENERATION, which aired on PBS, Channel 4, CBC, SBS and Arte and was the recipient of the Alfred I Dupont Award as well as The Association for International Broadcasting award. Sharmeen has made over a dozen-multi award winning films in over 10 countries around the world and is the first non-American to be awarded the Livingston Award for best international reporting.

In 2007, Sharmeen was awarded the broadcast journalist of the year award in the UK by One World Media for her work in a series of documentary films for Channel 4, which included a film about xenophobia in South Africa THE NEW APARTHEID. Her other films have been awarded The Overseas Press Club Award, The American Women in Radio and Television Award, The Cine Golden Eagle award and the Banff Rockie Award.

Sharmeen was born and raised in Karachi, Pakistan and received a bachelors degree from Smith College and went on to complete two masters degree from Stanford University.

Back
Top Bottom