What's new

Pakistan's Special Operations Forces: SSG | SSGN | SSW | SOW | SOG

Yes SSG is using M-4 carbines.

e2b27668181215a118fc56f0a93c414d.jpg

Why are they wearing that odd shade of sunglasses(if those are sunglasses)?

Normally yellow lenses enhance light in certain conditions (over cast conditions for example) But it looks like a bright day there so I do not know why THEY are wearing them ....:cool:

ok, now note the following.......

The plastic helmets which protect the head from injuries when doing room entry (not bullet proof as they rely upon speed and accuracy) body armour to stop shrapnel and some rounds. Knee pads to allow snap shooting in urban environs. and goggles for the insertion into a dustbowl (from the helicopters downdraft) Oh and they are carrying M4's

cool AND functional thats the way to be!

Attachments

• Black_Hawk_Down-2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 150
i think you are closer to them in every respect and aspect. so your information will be purified one. :flag: :army:
(this message is for mod who needs to be normalized to unity.)

Admin Edit: What you talking about?

Normally yellow lenses enhance light in certain conditions (over cast conditions for example) But it looks like a bright day there so I do not know why THEY are wearing them ....:cool:

Those are not sun-glasses rather protective shooting glasses. They are used during training to protect eyes. They are slightly yellow but are quite standard. Nothing to do with sunlight etc. as the purpose is not to shade the eyes rather to protect it.

ok, now note the following.......

The plastic helmets which protect the head from injuries when doing room entry (not bullet proof as they rely upon speed and accuracy) body armour to stop shrapnel and some rounds. Knee pads to allow snap shooting in urban environs. and goggles for the insertion into a dustbowl (from the helicopters downdraft) Oh and they are carrying M4's

cool AND functional thats the way to be!

The helmets as worn by the DF operators and shown in the movie BHD are Kevlar and not plastic afaik.

Take another look......
Those are the type of helmet that you see for skateboarders or Ice hockey players wear. And even in the book BHD they are described as hockey helmets.and desribed as being plastic. they are unlikely to be kevlar as why have a different one to the issue helmet? (kevlar is heavy enough to be quite cumbersome)
I have asked my SF mate to confirm this and he said that they never wore helmets during their "intervention" drills. The reason for this being that they were to rely upon speed in room clearance drills rather than heavy protection. the plastic helmets help prevent head injuries when entering rooms and did not encumber them as they are very light (I have tried them on)

Glasses during training? Thats funny I have done pretty much most kinds of weapon drills and was never required to use glasses of any kind (They are only a civilian measure). They may well be protective glasses, but unless Generals explode they are just posing as far as i am concerned. The only time I have worn eyewear was in BRIGHT sunlight or in extremely dusty environments (mostly desert environs) and they weren't yellow.

The colour of lenses is very important as it relates to the mount of visible light they filter or enhance so it is of importance. (I know this from my current employment) Yellow lenses enhance lowlight conditions .....

Thanks for the tips though:disagree:

You may be right about the helmet. our guys in Pakistan only have the kevlar ballistic ones and not the ones in use by the DF.

On the issue of eye protection, the glasses are pretty standard. For a team like the SOTF (which is what this line-up is in the picture), the eye protection is a pretty standard thing just because most of these guys are the ones responsible for operations in the mountainous North West. Almost all of their operations are "air assault" which in many cases require quite a bit of fast roping from the helis. Eye protection is a welcome addition to the gear is you have it. Personal preferences or views aside, Pakistanis are not the only ones using eye protection. The other issue is obviously foreign objects going into your eyes. The amount of dust is unreal in Pakistan. Eye protection (if available) helps with all of it. Its not a must. Maybe since the VCoAS was in town, these guys wanted to deck out in complete gear, but regardless, eye protection helps with all of the elements that have been discussed.

I have asked my SF mate to confirm this and he said that they never wore helmets during their "intervention" drills. The reason for this being that they were to rely upon speed in room clearance drills rather than heavy protection. the plastic helmets help prevent head injuries when entering rooms and did not encumber them as they are very light (I have tried them on)

What weighs you down is the not the helmet alone, its actually the whole body armour. I know some of the folks in the local SWAT teams here in the US, and these guys who are constantly training and equipping their guys with all sorts of new gear are nuts about personnel safety. Kevlar ballistic helmets are a must for all of these guys. Having played around with the Kevlar helmets a bit, I know that you can get used to them very easily (the weight is about 2.5 - 3lbs). Most of the guys in the Pakistani SSG actually do not like any additional weight at all....but the protection has its benefits. So while your SF buddy may have his preferences or a certain way of doing things in his outfit, it does not apply universally. Each SF or CT unit has its own set of preferences and even within these teams, individuals have their own likes or dislikes. A lot of stuff used by the western SF's actually is considered a luxury (which you can do without) by the Pakistani SF, but that is a whole another discussion.

Yeah I understand about operating in dustbowl environs as I have operated in a area where it was an issue. However we (and pretty much everyone else) used goggles, as the type of glasses used in the picture don't keep dust out. So probably as you said, they were trying to look the part for the inspection.

Again as to the body armour thing. I have worn most kinds and I am aware of the weights involved. For short periods of time (and depending on the heat of the environment)the weight is not a problem as adrenaline makes it all feel light. Trust me regarding the helmet....the only time I was glad of it was when we were getting mortared.
But extended operation it is cumbersome (and in some areas useless as the enemy might have armour defeating ammunition.)
I used a incorrect term in a previous post when I said intervention. I should have written assault. Whilst I am sure the SWAT guys are very good in their field (Interventions and hostage rescue) they generally go into specific threat types. Hence body armour would be of an advantage.(second man in the room wears more as he/she is more likely to get hit) (confined spaces etc etc) The guys (there are more then one but I can't always get to ask them as they are not always around lol) are SAS (or ex) and generally have operated in a number of different situations. armour is more important to regular force as opposed to SF
Anyway........

Back
Top Bottom