What's new

Parliament attack heroine, now a sweeper

Hobo1

Reaction score
On the day of the Parliament attack, home guard Radha Chauhan, now 35, rushed to the rescue of a CRPF constable, Kamlesh Yadav. But what followed this bit of heroism was neither recognition nor reward — only 11 years of hardship and running around for assistance. On December 13, 2001,
Chauhan, was posted outside Gate No 5 of Parliament. “I was assisting a traffic inspector when I saw a speeding ambassador enter the premises, spraying bullets all around. As we ran inside, I saw a woman, who turned out to be Yadav of the CRPF’s 88th Battalion, and ran to shield her,” said Chauhan, who now works as a contractual sweeper.

Thereafter, all went downhill for Chauhan. After 10 days in hospital she went back to work, only to be told that her contract had expired and she was ineligible for compensation as she was alive.

Around that time, her husband was diagnosed with tuberculosis and died five years later.

“I’ve approached everyone, from party presidents to chief ministers as well police officials, but no one helped.”

Speaking to HT, a senior police officer said: “There is an elaborate procedure in such cases and we will provide assistance as and when directed to do so.”
Parliament attack heroine, now a sweeper - Hindustan Times

Ahead of the 11th anniversary of the Parliament attack, Sunita, the 32-year-old widow of ANI cameraman Vikram Bisht who was killed in the attack, got word that she may soon have a government job. Sunita works at a Hindi news channel and her two children —Naveen, 13, and Priya, 12 — go to a neighbourhood school.

“I was 20 years old when Vikram died. No one offered me a job in the aftermath of the incident. I started working two years ago, and earn Rs. 8,000 a month, most of which I spend on the education of my kids,” she said.

“Forget free education for my kids, they can’t even provide me with a job. Neither can they hang convict Afzal Guru,” Sunita said. “They can feed terrorists in jail, but not the family of the victims,” she added.
Victims

Look how we treat our heroes.

Nothing new here but unless you get the word out.....it wont matter. Take a count of how many independent newspapers are left.....and then watch......Those papers will be bought out. Then the few remaining paper owners will be very powerful and will publish what the govt wants only.

Back
Top Bottom