What's new

Persecution of Orissa Christians by Hindu extremists continues

Hafizzz

Reaction score
Persecution of Orissa Christians by Hindu extremists continues
India: Persecution of Orissa Christians by Hindu extremists continues | Spero News

" Persecution on Christians in Orissa exists, but faith grows and strengthens, and even the number of the faithful is increasing. We are not afraid: we will always be ready to tell the truth, to defend the person`s dignity and freedom of religion. Although today in Orissa, as Christians, we feel abandoned by the institutions ": is what Archbishop John Barwa, Archbishop of Cuttack-Bhubaneswar, the leading diocese of the state of Orissa (India north-east), with over 62mila Catholics said in an interview with Fides. The archdiocese includes the district of Kandhamal, the scene in 2008 of anti-Christian massacres that claimed more than 100 deaths and 56 thousand IDPs. The Archbishop, at the Vatican for the ad Limina Apostolorum visit, explains to Fides the reasons and roots of anti-Christian violence.

Excellency, what is the situation of Christians in Orissa today?

Persecution exists, we face many challenges, not without concerns. But we believe that persecution is part of our Christian vocation and Christian life. We are not afraid, but we live it as a blessing from God. We know that where there is persecution, faith is strengthened, and today I am proud to say that faith in my people is strengthening. The blood shed for the faith in Christ is always the seed for new Christians: in Orissa the number of Christians is increasing.

Can you describe the episodes of violence that happen today?

It must be said that massacres like those of 2008 do not occur today. But Christians are terrified and cannot return to their homes. There is a subtle form of oppression and intimidation carried out quite openly by the Hindu extremist groups. It often happens in rural villages, where continuing threats and violence that are often released by the national news as the case of the Christian girl raped and murdered. At the base there is hatred and hostility against Christians that result in discrimination on behalf of some sectors of society and also by the institutions.

Do you have confidence in justice, police and civil authorities?

Orissa is a test for the respect and administration of justice in India. We can see painful examples in which Christians are treated as second class citizens and struggle to get justice. For example, the case of Sister Meena Barwa, the Catholic religious raped in 2008, the responsible were released on bail. The reaction and the results of ongoing trials, after the massacres of 2008, will be strong evidence in the nation to see if people can really have faith in justice and if everyone is equal before the law. And how can one trust the police, who witnessed the rape of sister Meena and other massacres without stopping the attackers? The police did and do not protect us. As Christians, at the moment, we feel are abandoned by the institutions.

This is very serious in democracy ...

It is, but these are the facts. Today we do not feel sufficiently secure and protected. Furthermore, at least so far, we have not received justice for the violence suffered.

How many Hindu extremist groups are there and why are they so strong in Orissa?

I am unable to give figures, but the Hindu radical movements in the area are well known, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) and others, blinded by fundamentalism. There are few compared to the majority of Hindus who are peaceful and moderate. But those few continue to incite violence and hatred against Christians and manipulate people.

Why are Christians the favorite target?

For a variety of social, political and religious reasons. The Christian community in Orissa is largely composed of tribal and Dalits. For the evangelization of the tribes there are no problems. The Dalits, however, are considered part of the Hindu society: they are the lower castes who are to serve the higher ones. Christians work to promote human, economic and social development of Dalits, they defend the dignity and they often ask to embrace the Christian faith.

This triggers the reaction of the radical Hindus. Sometimes Dalits, freed from the yoke of caste and ideology, set up economic and commercial activities, and this creates competition in economy: another reason for dissatisfaction. This is the land on which extremism and violence flourishes. There are, then, political reasons: Christians do not support the Hindu nationalist parties in power (such as the Bharatiya Janata Party, BJP), and therefore political leaders do not want the community to expand or to be more.

What is your pastoral approach, in such a difficult context?

It is to weave relations of dialogue at all levels: with the common people, with other Christian communities, with the Hindu religious leaders, with civil authorities, with police chiefs, to unite all people of good will. The motto I have chosen for the episcopal ministry is "Thy kingdom come" I believe that this pastoral style may serve to build God's Kingdom in this part of India.

What did the meeting with the Pope mean for you?

The Pope encouraged us Bishops and thanked us for the support we give to our people. He reminded us of our responsibility as Pastors, inviting us to strengthen the faith and defend the dignity of every person. After this meeting, my heart is full with gratitude for God. It was a blessing to come here in the Vatican to meet the Holy Father, to receive words of encouragement and consolation and a blessing from Him.

The Pope underlined the freedom of religion and protection of human rights ...

I felt that passage of the Pope's speech was addressed directly to me and to the situation we live in Orissa. I feel called to proclaim, without fear, the truth about human dignity, freedom of faith, respect for human rights which are often violated in Orissa.

Democracy and freedom of religion, huh ???

It continues becuase the extremists have the support from many of the local Governemnt and police officials. I have a video I wish I could post here showing in detail Christians being beaten and clubbed to death. Christian womwn being stripped and forced to run down the street while being beaten. All the while police standing just a few feet away from the attacks. The video is to graphic I feel and would violate Board rules. However here are some other videos showing what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very shameful but i have seen why this happens..
christain missionaries fool tribal people...they provide so called holy water to them which is actually medicine...
not only this these missionaries also talk very abusive about our religious beliefs...they pay money to poor people...just watch god tv and one will understand how huge amount of money is donated for this missionary activities from around the world...
this is not only problem in india my friend but people are angry about this all over the world...

Religious peace under threat in South Korea

Religious peace under threat in South Korea - The New York Times

Missionaries are Colonialists - English pravda.ru

The War Against Hinduism

This is what some people have done with christanity today

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very shameful but i have seen why this happens..
christain missionaries fool tribal people...they provide so called holy water to them which is actually medicine...
not only this these missionaries also talk very abusive about our religious beliefs...they pay money to poor people...just watch god tv and one will understand how huge amount of money is donated for this missionary activities from around the world...
this is not only problem in india my friend but people are angry about this all over the world...

Most Christian missionary work in India is done by Indians not foriegn missionaries. And Protestant and Catholic Christians don't use holy water in such a manner. We are commanded as the bible says to pray for the sick not give them holy water. As far as the Pravda article they have always been slanted with an Athieistic approach in thier articles since the Soviet days.

lol these christian missionaries with their propaganda....

We know wat F i l t h y things these christian missionaries do here....

One father at my area was charged for raping a girl,a hindu girl...but was left away because of his influence as a father...so much for a father...

But the guys near the church who feel sad for that girl are giving that father a hard time.......

These christian missionaries and their converting of hindu into christain religion sucks......
One who does wrong things will get beaten up,even if he is so called father.......

@Thomas...i can show u hundreds of videos of british (christians)killing hindus..
Did u forget jalianwala bagh ????????
Killed 100's of hindu with the barrel of christain guns??????????

Don't try to preach us humanity,we know how many u have killed in Iraq,afghan,Pakistan,vietnam.....

never again think of preaching us peace and humanity

Any christian here ,before letting ur mouth open and preach about peace and humanity to Hindus and Buddhist or Jains .....first tell me how many have u killed in last 2 decades.....then we will talk

@ indian members...
guys these Christain missionaries work is not to serve people,their work is to convert Hindus and muslim to christanity,but giving them cash ,they r exploiting the people in North east india...

Don't fall prey to these @@$holes...
Spread this message....

lol these christian missionaries with their propaganda....

We know wat F i l t h y things these christian missionaries do here....

One father at my area was charged for raping a girl,a hindu girl...but was left away because of his influence as a father...so much for a father...

But the guys near the church who feel sad for that girl are giving that father a hard time.......

These christian missionaries and their converting of hindu into christain religion sucks......
One who does wrong things will get beaten up,even if he is so called father.......

@Thomas...i can show u hundreds of videos of british (christians)killing hindus..
Did u forget jalianwala bagh ????????
Killed 100's of hindu with the barrel of christain guns??????????

Don't try to preach us humanity,we know how many u have killed in Iraq,afghan,Pakistan,vietnam.....

never again think of preaching us peace and humanity

Being Christian (one who follows the teachings of Jesus)is an individual decision, Not the decision of a state. You may show attrocities commited by the british during colonial rule. But that doesn't mean each of those soldiers or thier officers commiting those attrocities were Christian. Jesus taught that you will know those who are his true follwers by the fruit they produce in thier lives. Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. He also talked about those who will stand before him on the day of judgement. How they will talk about all the great things they had done in his name. And he will answer them I never knew you depart from me you who practice lawlessness. In other words just becuase you may call yourself a Christian doesn't mean you are. Jesus said only he who does the will of his father shall enter the kingdom of heaven - Mat 7:21

Being Christian (one who follows the teachings of Jesus)is an individual decision, Not the decision of a state. You may show attrocities commited by the british during colonial rule. But that doesn't mean each of those soldiers or thier officers commiting those attrocities were Christian. Jesus taught that you will know those who are his true follwers by the fruit they produce in thier lives. Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. He also talked about those who will stand before him on the day of judgement. How they will talk about all the great things they had done in his name. And he will answer them I never knew you depart from me you who practice lawlessness. In other words just becuase you may call yourself a Christian doesn't mean you are. Jesus said only he who does the will of his father shall enter the kingdom of heaven - Mat 7:21

Are u trying to say those soldiers in US military are not christains...??Who has killed thousands in last decade........

So according to u who does wrong are not eligible to be christain and who is right is only christain..

Sorry i dont buy it....
These christain missionaries sucks

And by the way can u tell me how many people have been killed in the hands of christain in the last decade,how many buddhists have been killed in nuclear explosion on japan???
How many thousands hindus have been killed by British(christains)....????
How many buddhist vietnam has been killed by christains?????

can u count?????

Answer me

Back
Top Bottom