What's new

Peru Confirms Purchase of MBT-2000/Al-Khalid Tanks

jawadqamar

Reaction score

President Garcia told the press that he considers as “correct” the decision of the Army and the Ministry of Defense to purchase Chinese tanks, and stressed that such a decision "doesn't contradict our vocation against an arms race."He advanced that this acquisition is “almost a fact” and that the respective draft agreements with the Asian country have already been signed.

Garcia Perez added that thanks to his Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao, "we got an important reduction, not in price, but in the first payment, and in the period of time in which they must be paid."The President explained that those tanks “are advanced technology,” and that this purchase is due to the fact that many of Peru's T-55 tanks need to be replaced.He also said that it would he “irresponsible and unpatriotic” to talk openly about the tank's technical specifications to the media, but that it might be discussed by the Defense Commission in Congress.

The MBT 2000 (Al-Khalid) is a modern tank jointly developed by China and Pakistan and is in service since 2001. It has a crew of three men and a 125 mm smoothbore gun.It measures 10 meters long, 3.5 wide and 2.4 tall and has a combat weight of 48 tons, slightly less than their Western counterparts. It has a top speed of 65 km and a range of 450 kilometers. The secondary armament consists of two machine guns, one 12.7 mm anti-aircraft with 500 cartridges and a 7.62 coaxial with 2,500 cartridges.

This is great for for the Industries in Pakistan and Economy !
All the Best.

Not many details are available at this time, but as per different sources acquisition of between 80 and 140 new tanks. The deal could be around $ 500 million and would replace the current fleet of 50 T-55M1 and 96 AMX-13 ·

Last edited:
How many tanks?
Costs?

it was actually a competition between China, Russia, the Ukraine, Poland and Germany, for a total from 80 to 120 tanks.

c47931552f92433e7d828d4462e4031a.jpg

i have a small question

peru is a mostly mountainous country or heavily forested.

why does it need tanks?

tanks lose their mobility in the mountains and the forests. (we are talking about amazonian rainforests here)

in mountains, with the limited elevation of the main gun, the tank is impotent against most targets which might be up on a hill

in the forests with the low mobility and visiblity, the main gun is again not much use.

in essence in a climate like that of peru the tanks are reduced to large chunks of armor. no mobility or effective firepower. so 2 of the 3 advantages of the tank are nullified.

so buying tanks does not seem to be a very good decision for them.

nothing against al khalid.

but any tank seems to be a waste in the mountains or rainforests.

i have a small question

peru is a mostly mountainous country or heavily forested.

why does it need tanks?

tanks lose their mobility in the mountains and the forests. (we are talking about amazonian rainforests here)

in mountains, with the limited elevation of the main gun, the tank is impotent against most targets which might be up on a hill

in the forests with the low mobility and visiblity, the main gun is again not much use.

in essence in a climate like that of peru the tanks are reduced to large chunks of armor. no mobility or effective firepower. so 2 of the 3 advantages of the tank are nullified.

so buying tanks does not seem to be a very good decision for them.

nothing against al khalid.

but any tank seems to be a waste in the mountains or rainforests.

peru is more famous for its mountains and forest because of machu pichu inside the mountain ranges and close to the Amazon. The coastal part of peru is not mountaneous at all.

President Garcia told the press that he considers as “correct” the decision of the Army and the Ministry of Defense to purchase Chinese tanks, and stressed that such a decision "doesn't contradict our vocation against an arms race."He advanced that this acquisition is “almost a fact” and that the respective draft agreements with the Asian country have already been signed.

Garcia Perez added that thanks to his Chinese counterpart Hu Jintao, "we got an important reduction, not in price, but in the first payment, and in the period of time in which they must be paid."The President explained that those tanks “are advanced technology,” and that this purchase is due to the fact that many of Peru's T-55 tanks need to be replaced.He also said that it would he “irresponsible and unpatriotic” to talk openly about the tank's technical specifications to the media, but that it might be discussed by the Defense Commission in Congress.

The MBT 2000 (Al-Khalid) is a modern tank jointly developed by China and Pakistan and is in service since 2001. It has a crew of three men and a 125 mm smoothbore gun.It measures 10 meters long, 3.5 wide and 2.4 tall and has a combat weight of 48 tons, slightly less than their Western counterparts. It has a top speed of 65 km and a range of 450 kilometers. The secondary armament consists of two machine guns, one 12.7 mm anti-aircraft with 500 cartridges and a 7.62 coaxial with 2,500 cartridges.

What do you mean by joint production of China and Pakistan...I think Al-Khalid is purely Pakistan Made....as told in this video also..

Last edited by a moderator:
peru is more famous for its mountains and forest because of machu pichu inside the mountain ranges and close to the Amazon. The coastal part of peru is not mountaneous at all.

yes i read up on the geography of peru when i posted.

there is a very thin strip along the coast which is flat enough for tanks to be used.
4f8f8ed2c9e65c184ac5f0c4674031cf.jpg

the above map would indicate that the tank usable border is very small. the coastal strip is very thin too.

there are plains to the east of the mountains but those are amazonian rainforests.

so my assertion that peru does not really need tanks stands.

My question is do we have enough material for such exports (if Pakistan itself selling them) I mean we ourself have to build alot for own use.

Back
Top Bottom