What's new

PICTURES: Look inside a standard apartment handed over to slum inhabitants

NGV-H

Reaction score
Country
Sri Lanka
The 500 unit housing scheme will house the residents of slums that were removed to make way for the 'Mihidhu Senpura' project.

Under the first phase 20000 housing units will be built and constructions of 14764 are in progress at present.

The housing units come with all basic facilities and are built in keeping with high quality standards. Each stage of the housing project was under the constant scrutiny of the Secretary of Defence.

Each housing unit consists of a living area, two bed rooms, pantry and a balcony with all amenities including proper sanitary facilities at a cost of over Rs. 7 million. In addition, public convenience places, elevators, car parking facilities etc too are available.

Translation of an excerpt of his speech: "We did this not so your children would be dependent on taxpayers for their lives. We did this in the hope your children may have the chance to be engineers and doctors some day. That we will see your children rise up is why we did this."

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p22a.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p26.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p24.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p27.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p25.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p28.jpg

http://defence.lk/new.asp?fname=Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_scheme_vested_on_public_20131118_06

Last edited:
WOW! A high quality 2 BHK for slum dwellers? Those apartments are better than most middle class ones!! That would cost a bomb in Indian metros! Is it for free? If so I wanna take up residence in a slum so I can get this huge freebie!!

Yep! From slum dog to slum dog millionaire!! 8-)

WOW! A high quality 2 BHK for slum dwellers? Those apartments are better than most middle class ones!! That would cost a bomb in Indian metros! Is it for free? If so I wanna take up residence in a slum so I can get this huge freebie!!

Yes it is free! I have no idea how much it cost per unit though, but I assume they got some discount for building 20,000 units at once.

The Government wants zero poverty in the country by 2016.

Oh really! How much does a similar unit cost in India?

Yes it is free! I have no idea how much it cost per unit though, but I assume they got some discount for building 20,000 units at once.

The Government wants zero poverty in the country by 2016.

Oh really! How much does a similar unit cost in India?
good job done......

Government can use the land where those people lived to different developing projects. It is much more profitable to government than the cost per one unit they spent for these people.

How much does a similar unit cost in India?
In a normal metro the cost would be anywhere between Rs 3500 to Rs 4000 per sq ft!! So, if one unit is 600 sq ft, it could cost up to Rs 24 Lakhs!!!!!! :woot:

Holy cow on a cracker!! That's a lot of money!! :eek:

All is good except for the pic of the SL Pres on top.

Why must Politicians spoil what they do by projecting themselves ?

Third world politics and it's politicians.. Highways to stadiums to even public toilets seem to be named after Mahinda Rajapaksa these days..:what:

All is good except for the pic of the SL Pres on top.

Why must Politicians spoil what they do by projecting themselves ?

He is doing a lot of good for the country, it's a small price to pay.

The 500 unit housing scheme will house the residents of slums that were removed to make way for the 'Mihidhu Senpura' project.

Under the first phase 20000 housing units will be built and constructions of 14764 are in progress at present.

The housing units come with all basic facilities and are built in keeping with high quality standards. Each stage of the housing project was under the constant scrutiny of the Secretary of Defence.

Each housing unit consists of a living area, two bed rooms, pantry and a balcony with all amenities including proper sanitary facilities at a cost of over Rs. 7 million. In addition, public convenience places, elevators, car parking facilities etc too are available.

Translation of an excerpt of his speech: "We did this not so your children would be dependent on taxpayers for their lives. We did this in the hope your children may have the chance to be engineers and doctors some day. That we will see your children rise up is why we did this."

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p22a.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p26.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p24.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p27.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p25.jpg

Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_20131118_06p28.jpg

http://defence.lk/new.asp?fname=Mihindu_Sethpura_mega_housing_scheme_vested_on_public_20131118_06

Along with the Furniture?

In a normal metro the cost would be anywhere between Rs 3500 to Rs 4000 per sq ft!! So, if one unit is 600 sq ft, it could cost up to Rs 24 Lakhs!!!!!! :woot:

Holy cow on a cracker!! That's a lot of money!! :eek:

Perhaps it is cheaper in Sri Lanka! Although I doubt that. 
Along with the Furniture?

Yes the furniture and amenities are all provided free to all the inhabitants.

Yes the furniture and amenities are all provided free to all the inhabitants.

No it shouldn't be as furniture tend be misused and get damaged and it will bring bad publicity and will shadow the good deed of giving shelter!!

No it shouldn't be as furniture tend be misused and get damaged and it will bring bad publicity and will shadow the good deed of giving shelter!!

These people have nothing, the alternative is to make them sleep on the floor, how is that raising them up? The whole purpose is to rid the country of the slum dwelling mindset completely.

The only way to change their mindset is to give them the tools needed to live a modern life. Whether it is misused or not is up to them, but it is in their best interests to keep it well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom