What's new

PNS Zulifquar decommissioned by Pakistan Navy

Nasir

Reaction score
PNS Zulifquar decommissioned by Pakistan Navy
'Pakistan Times' Sindh Bureau

KARACHI: Pakistan Navy Saturday decommissioned one of its British origin frigates, PNS Zulfiquar.

An ISPR (Navy) press release issued here said that a ceremony to pay homage to its exceptional and prolonged services was held at Pakistan Navy Dockyard this morning.

Vice Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Mohammad Haroon, who has also served as Commanding Officer of the ship, was the chief guest on the occasion.

A large number of officers and men from Destroyer Squadron also attended the ceremony.

Speaking on the occasion, the chief guest said despite phasing out of this frigate, the Destroyer Squadron of Pakistan Navy is capable of generating a forceful deterrence.

He said the procurement of F-22 P frigates from China in near future, would further add to the fighting punch of PN fleet.

Admiral Haroon paid rich tribute to the services of Pakistan Navy Destroyer Squadron.

He also acknowledged the approach and resolve of the government to make Pakistan Navy a strong maritime force well equipped with the modern-day platforms and weaponry.

PNS Zulfiquar, formerly a British frigate HMS Appollo, was commissioned in Pakistan Navy in October 1988.

During its 18 years service, the ship remained a potent punch of Pakistan Navy Fleet.●

http://www.pakistantimes.net/2006/10/29/top6.htm

No one is interested in PN.

We all love our PAF and PA, poor PN! :( Except of modernization in the submarine fleet, i haven't seen a major acquisation in the surface fleet. We always operate the phased out ships from UK or USA. Only the F-22p frigates that Pakistan Navy is planning to acquire is the major deal to modernize our navy, and that is nothing major compare to our counter parts India, Iran, or Bangladesh.

Its sad that even Bangladesh has better navy than us!

No one is interested in PN.

We all love our PAF and PA, poor PN! :( Except of modernization in the submarine fleet, i haven't seen a major acquisation in the surface fleet. We always operate the phased out ships from UK or USA. Only the F-22p frigates that Pakistan Navy is planning to acquire is the major deal to modernize our navy, and that is nothing major compare to our counter parts India, Iran, or Bangladesh.

Its sad that even Bangladesh has better navy than us!

Not right bro…Yes the PN has in the past been under funded but now we are about to soon embarking on a massive acquisition and modernisation program. The admiral himself has outline this and said we will be boasting 20 major surface combatants in a few years or so. We have the F-22’s coming along with the 4 Elli class frigates from Greece. You then have our requirement for 4 new built frigates with the Germans eyeing this contract along with the 4 corvettes also needed. On top of this we will be picking up used Frigates as well 2-4 in number which gives the above number I mentioned. Alongside this seeing as interest in the Fletcher has died down the Navy certainly does seem to be looking for a couple of destroyers otherwise we would never of expressed interest in such a ship and its vast operating cost. You already have mentioned the SSK requirement of 6 new craft alongside the news of a nuclear submarine program which we will know more about with the Chinese leaders visit.

The above should give us two strong mini fleets which make sense considering Karachi and Gwader.

Not right bro…Yes the PN has in the past been under funded but now we are about to soon embarking on a massive acquisition and modernisation program. The admiral himself has outline this and said we will be boasting 20 major surface combatants in a few years or so. We have the F-22’s coming along with the 4 Elli class frigates from Greece. You then have our requirement for 4 new built frigates with the Germans eyeing this contract along with the 4 corvettes also needed. On top of this we will be picking up used Frigates as well 2-4 in number which gives the above number I mentioned. Alongside this seeing as interest in the Fletcher has died down the Navy certainly does seem to be looking for a couple of destroyers otherwise we would never of expressed interest in such a ship and its vast operating cost. You already have mentioned the SSK requirement of 6 new craft alongside the news of a nuclear submarine program which we will know more about with the Chinese leaders visit.

The above should give us two strong mini fleets which make sense considering Karachi and Gwader.

20 new surface combatants..thats very optimistic figure,i have heard abt the F-22 or ders nothing else.

I think the greek deal fell apart am i right?Even those are old ships,which greek navy is sellling off because it aint worth upgrading.

20 new surface combatants..thats very optimistic figure,i have heard abt the F-22 or ders nothing else.

I think the greek deal fell apart am i right?Even those are old ships,which greek navy is sellling off because it aint worth upgrading.

Bull.
We are seeing a new trend in the Navy of retiring ships rather than carrying on with the obsolete. To the best of my knowledge the Ellis are still very much on the cards and this event is indicative of PNs desire to have more economical yet a potent fleet . Also PN can not afford to retire ships without appropriate replacements, not having enough numbers in any case. F 22s are some way away and Ellis and the Oliver Hazard Perrys are part of PNs effort to keep up with the numbers game. I think we need to give the Navy boys a bit of time to bring the Navy around. However you are absolutely right that the Navy has so far been badly neglected.
Regards
Araz

Ships : Elli F-450
Limnos F-451 1982 (Ex-Duth W. d. With)
Adrias F-459 1994 (1979 Ex-Dutch Callenburgh)
Aegeon F-460 1993 (1980 Ex-Dutch Banckert)
Navarino F-461 1995 (1980 Ex-Dutch V. Kinsbergen)
Kountouriotis F-462 1997 (1978 Ex-Dutch Kortenaer)
Bouboulina F-463 2002 (Ex-Dutch Pieter Florisz)
Displacement: 3050 tons standard
Dimensions: 130.5m x 14.6m x 6.2m
Guns: 2x (F-450-451) or 1x (F-459-462) Compact 76mm/62
2x (F-450-451) or 1x (F-459-462) Mk 15 Phalanx 20mm CIWS
Missile: 2x Mk141quadruple launchers for 8x Harpoon missiles
1x Mk29 octuple launcher for 24x Aspide SAMs
ASW: 2x Mk32 twin 324mm TT for Mk46 torpedoes
Electronics: LW.08
ZW.06 radars
STIR fire-control radar used with WM-25 fire control system
SQS-505 bow sonar, Sphinx ESM system with warning and jamming elements
Propulsion: COGOG w/ 2x Rolls Royce Olympus TM3B gas turbines or
2x Rolls Royce Tyne RM1C gas turbines giving 51600hp or 8000hp to two shafts.
Speed: 30kts
Crew: 176
Aircraft: 2x AB-212 helicopters in a hangar.

Execept for the F-22p's which the Thai people were really unsatisfied with, There are no Solid deals in place, Everything else is just speculation

And i believe F-22p's are old Chinese ships donated by China, they decomissioned it, and gave it to PN, which is upgrading them massively though.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom