What's new

Police arrest 1000 in Pakistan for flying kites

LAHORE:
The traditional practice of flying kites during Basant was banned three years ago after several people were killed or injured by glass and metal-coated kite twine.

it should be banned from the streets but nothing wrong if someone wants to fly it in a park. Waste of time getting the Police to arrest so many people.

Regards

So, u even don't know about what happening in Pakistan or purposely being ignorant.

Kite flyers arrested in Pakistan

Despite the ban the skies above Lahore were filled with kites

More than 500 people are reported to have been arrested in the Pakistani city of Lahore for flying kites.

Kite flying is a traditional part of a festival marking the advent of spring in Punjab, but on Thursday the Pakistani authorities introduced a ban.

The prohibition came in after a number of deaths, mostly in Lahore, caused by glass-coated or metal kite-strings.

Families of the seven victims protested last week, demanding that a Supreme Court uphold a ban on the sport.

Similar bans have been imposed in previous years.

Threat to bikers

The spring festival known as Basant is hugely popular across Punjab, with even President Pervez Musharraf often flying down to Lahore to participate.

Many of the hundreds detained were young boys

Kite flyers compete to keep their kites in the air, whilst downing those of others.

But they often resort to using wire or glass-coated strings to cut the strings of rival kites.

When the strings fall across roads, however, they pose a danger to people passing on motor-bikes.

Metal kites can also cause short-circuits in overhead power cables, leading to heavy losses for electricity utilities.

The court had relaxed its kite ban in February this year, but on the condition that it would automatically be reinforced in the event of any more deaths.

Over the years, the Basant festival has drawn thousands of revellers to Lahore from all over the world.

Even Indian movie stars had started participating in the festival which peaks with an all-night flood-lit kite flying marathon on the eve of the festival.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Kite flyers arrested in Pakistan

Thousands Arrested For Flying Kites

6:41pm UK, Sunday March 12, 2006
More than 1,400 people have been arrested in Pakistan for violent kite-flying.The arrests happened in a three-day crackdown at an annual festival held across the east of the country.

180 Kite burning in Pakistan

The offending kites are burnt

A kite-flying ban was imposed in the Punjab province on Thursday after seven people died in the lead up to the Basant festival.

The victims were slashed by kite strings that had been reinforced with wire or glass fibre.

Police spokesman Malik Munir Ahmed said at least 1,430 people have been detained since Friday.

The arrests were mostly for flying kites but also for firing celebratory gunshots into the air and playing loud music.

About 800 were arrested in the provincial capital Lahore, and the rest in other parts of Punjab. They face fines or jail terms of up to six months.

The mayor of Lahore defended the ban, saying it helped prevent deaths.

Mian Amir Mahmood said: "Last year 19 people died on Basant day. No one has died this year". Basant day was the final day of the weekend festival.

Police raided homes where kites were seen flying from backyards.

Some kite fliers cut their strings as police approached and denied they had defied the ban, witnesses said.

Thousands Arrested For Flying Kites | Home | Sky News

DAWN.COM | National | ?Kite-flying ban applies to governor as well?

Police arrests 1000 in Pakistan for flying kites | Siasat

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Keep your Indian trolling to yourself.

Daily Times is owned by Salman Taseer who is against Punjab governnment and spreading lies.

142 reports were reistered against those who were using/manufacturing sharop, metal strings and 158 people have so far been arrested.

This is why Kite flying in massive numbers is banned on Basant.

20 killed in kites flying festival in Pakistan
(Xinhua)
Updated: 2005-02-07 14:39

At least 17 people including eight children lost their lives and more than 500 injured while celebrating Basant or kites flying festival Sunday in Lahore, capital of eastern Punjab province, taking the death toll to 20 as three people were killed on Basant night, The Nation reported Monday.

Mohammad Asharf, front, who was seriously injured when specially reinforced kite string cut his throat while he was riding on a motorbike, is attended by his brother at a local hospital in Lahore, Pakistan on Sunday, Feb. 6, 2005.
Seven persons were crushed to death while trying to catch stray kites, six others died after falling from rooftop of their houses, two teenage boys died after being hit by stray bullets in two different incidents, while a 7-years old boy was electrocuted and a four years-old girl was killed when a stray string slit open her throat.

Rescue officials said they picked up at least 24 patients whose throats were cut by twine at different roads and shifted them to hospitals.

Throughout the day, the city remained echoing with aerial firing and fireworks and peaked at the sunset.

Sunday's killing of 17 persons took the death toll to 20 in the night-and-day festival this year. Last year too, as many as 20 persons were killed in Lahore while celebrating the yearly Basant.

Keep your Indian trolling to yourself.

Daily Times is owned by Salman Taseer who is against Punjab governnment and spreading lies.

142 reports were reistered against those who were using/manufacturing sharop, metal strings and 158 people have so far been arrested.

How can u say it as troll. Does i have posted something off topic or flame.

If u can't digest truth then the thing is different.

What about BBC and news.sky.com are they also anti Punjab government

How can u say it as troll. Does i have posted something off topic or flame.

If u can't digest truth then the thing is different.

What about BBC and news.sky.com are they also anti Punjab government

I think you should be more worried about threats to foreign players in India than coming up with your wrong notion about kite ban in Pakistan .

This is why Kite flying in massive numbers is banned on Basant.

I have never said that deaths due to kite flying are justified.

But u should ban string not the flying.

It is like match sticks used in house can used to burn house so one decides to ban match box.

I have never said that deaths due to kite flying are justified.

But u should ban string not the flying.

It is like match sticks used in house can used to burn house so one decides to ban match box.

You are repeating the same thing again and again.

The ban on string was put many times but when morons don’t follow the rules then i think we don’t need such a silly frenzy.

You can fly kites in normal days because there is no competition neither Bets or gambling which is done in Basnat and thats the reason people use sharp strings and metal wires.

Sunday's killing of 17 persons took the death toll to 20 in the night-and-day festival this year. Last year too, as many as 20 persons were killed in Lahore while celebrating the yearly Basant.

20 killed in kites flying festival in Pakistan[/QUOTE

I am sure more people get killed by traffic accidents in day so now what ? ban traffic?

I think GOP is being petty and stupid. It needs to regulate it and not ban it.

Just curious if the Prophet Mohammed had said once a year you should all fly kites and pray 5 times would any one have the guts to ban it or support the ban even if it was proved to be dangerous?

You are repeating the same thing again and again.

The ban on string was put many times but when morons don’t follow the rules then i think we don’t need such a silly frenzy.

You can fly kites in normal days because there is no competition neither Bets or gambling which is done in Basnat and thats the reason people use sharp strings and metal wires.

OK ur country do whatever u like. Happy.

I am sure more people get killed by traffic accidents in day so now what ? ban traffic?

I think GOP is being petty and stupid. It needs to regulate it and not ban it.

Just curious if the Prophet Mohammed had said once a year you should all fly kites and pray 5 times would any one have the guts to ban it or support the ban even if it was proved to be dangerous?

I think little neutral comment was expected from you. But nevermind :) and Indian will always be an Indian.

When the people are sane enough to adher to the regulation then indeed our government will do so.

Its not just kite flying but big mafis are involved.

Use of dangerous material, power disruption, killings, undue firing leading to deaths, all these hazards are linked with this silly activity.

For the time being The Court had orderd to intact the Ban and i think NO one should be having any issue with that.

I think little neutral comment was expected from you. But nevermind :) and Indian will always be an Indian.

When the people are sane enough to adher to the regulation then indeed our government will do so.

Its not just kite flying but big mafis are involved.

Use of dangerous material, power disruption, killings, undue firing leading to deaths, all these hazards are linked with this silly activity.

For the time being The Court had orderd to intact the Ban and i think NO one should be having any issue with that.

When logic defeats you so do words its obvious.

I have supported a ban for kites on the street!

I have opposed ban on kites in open areas like parks!

I have asked you a valid question whether any person would support such a ban if Prophet M said it was good to fly kites? I am sure if ever say Sweden banned kites but the Koran said you must fly it once a year you would now be stating christianity or EU is anti muslims.

To all the above your best repartee is that I am an Indian.

Guess you were sitting in the back benches in School.

Regards

Beside just the death or injury factor, there is a huge wastage of money done on just the basant day. What kind of things are done and where and how the money is wasted, well the ones who know the inner stories happening on basant know well what i am talking about.

Basant should be banned, and strict measures should be taken to the maximum.

And for those who give the example of deaths happening in traffic accidents and say should traffic be stopped, well there are many other silly examples which can be quoted to counter argue this stupid statement, but to put it simple, we as human beings have to do the maximum possible steps to make sure the chances of deaths or injuries due to something which we can control should be eliminated or reduced to the minimum. Many times motorists break the signal lights and cause accidents or many times people crossing the signal light even when it is green get into accidents due to other people or when signal lights can't prevent a traffic jam, so does that means we remove traffic signal lights as accidents or jams happen, no, those lights still stay there and reduce the chances of fatal accidents & the mayhem caused due to disorderly behavior shown by the motorists.

Back
Top Bottom