What's new

Power crisis: India faces a shortage of 17,000 MW

There are no power cuts in Bombay. I was consulting a few years ago for a company building a hydro power plant in Sikkim. Trust me, it is not easy building these things. The amount of clearances, rehabilitation of entire villages, giving them employment, importing and transporting machinery make all of these a Herculean task. They were behind schedule.

I heard South Indian Grid can handle only 1500 MW or so.My demand is that Kerala is assured a guaranteed supply from the national grid at a price equal to what we will incur if we build the dam themselves (hyro- electric is cheapest form of energy production) or allow us to build dams in the state.

Don't have much idea about the South Indian grid as such but I have stayed in Trichy for quite sometime and I must say power situation is deplorable in that state..

Can any one give a data on generated electrical energy of India, or other countries??

Believe me the central grid have enough supplies.. it is the purchasing ability of State power utilities which creates problems !!
The CEA Report tells another story
7c7cb4615a1e4c2098122de.png

a603c7bfcd6d444086348ed.png

02466111e596427685a8467.png

Northern Region Capacity Under Outage

Can any one give a data on generated electrical energy of India, or other countries??
As of 31/05/2012
b2fb7431d1834cb89d994f0.png

25c6c5b94aa24d4691e918a.png

What are you guys doing?
This is suppose to be an anti-india propaganda thread started by one experienced PDF jammer.:shout:
And you guys are making it looks like i am in an indian forum. :pop:
Give some respect.:enjoy:

I think you should focus on you own nation- that's where the real energy crisis is happening and isn't going to fixed for the foreseeable future.

And I think you should focus on the topic and post accordingly instead of trolling softly ... Dozens of threads exist by your nationals too ... :azn:

may be sometimes u should use ur brain...

some States bordering Pakistan produce surplus power. Selling it to states like Tamil nadu or Andhra Pradesh would be a loss due to transmission loss of power incurred due to such long distance. Instead sell the power to a state/country which is nearby.

It's because, unlike Pakistan, India does not have a national grid.

It's because, unlike Pakistan, India does not have a national grid.

to be honest india right now has a production capacity of over 205000. and currently massive 80000 mw is under cons. In 2012 alone 20000 mw electricty will be added to grid. in 2011, 17000 was added. india is not short of production capacity but short of resources production to generate electricity. exporting to pakistan will help both coutries.

to be honest india right now has a production capacity of over 205000. and currently massive 80000 mw is under cons. In 2012 alone 20000 mw electricty will be added to grid. in 2011, 17000 was added. india is not short of production capacity but short of resources production to generate electricity. exporting to pakistan will help both coutries.

I agree. Currently, per capita energy consumption in India & Pakistan is among the lowest in the world.

WorldMap_EnergyConsumptionPerCapita_600px.jpg

Haq's Musings: Global Power Shift Since Industrial Revolution

The tragedy is most people will believe what's been reported in Indian newspaper rather than an Indian posting from the States.
Anyway, what a lying Basanti the reporter is ...spreading false rumours. :angry:
yup reporter is indeed lying.i live in delhi and in my area we hardly have powercuts and it's not even a posh area to be honest.so the reporter saying long power cut is unacceptable and he basically don't have any knowledge about delhi and ncr region.

yup reporter is indeed lying.i live in delhi and in my area we hardly have powercuts and it's not even a posh area to be honest.so the reporter saying long power cut is unacceptable and he basically don't have any knowledge about delhi and ncr region.

Reporters usually exaggerate things to get the point across.

I agree. Currently, per capita energy consumption in India & Pakistan is among the lowest in the world.

WorldMap_EnergyConsumptionPerCapita_600px.jpg

Haq's Musings: Global Power Shift Since Industrial Revolution

that doesnt matter much as a lot of population in both countries live in villages, india has not reached developed world standards. even still india is the 3rd largest producer of electricity and has one of the worlds fastest growing electricity sector. imagine its production when it reaches developed world in 30 yrs. :woot:

anyways, the reason why india is expanding ties with pakistan is that india wants pakistan to help in resource production. india wants coal from afghan and instead of the port in iran pak can help and share it. infact even pak has decent coal reserves and has lower cost of production.

indian power companes are right now sitting on a cash pile of well over 50-100 billion. adani group recently acquired a coal mine in australia for 12 billion doll. sail got an afghan mine for 15 billion, reliance bough one in indonesia for 5 bill. they are bullish on acquiring resources in africa and pak. pakistan should help india reach middle east and afghan and also open up up its resource market to us. together we can :cheers:

We have a national grid called Power Grid Corporation of India

Power Grid Corporation of India Limited

Not quite yet!

To improve transmission of power across the country, India plans to connect all regional grids into a national grid by 2014.

Of the five regional grids in the country—northern, southern, eastern, north-eastern and western—all except the southern one are interconnected.

“By 2013-14, all the grids will be interconnected for synchronous operations,” said power secretary P. Uma Shankar.

This will enable the transfer of huge amounts of electricity from one part of the country to another as required.

“A national grid will help in meeting power demands across the country by seamless transmission of power,” said another government official, requesting anonymity.

National power grid to be ready by 2014 - Economy and Politics - livemint.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom