What's new

Privatization of PIA

flameboard

Reaction score

Pakistan to privatise loss-making national airline​

By Asif Shahzad

The privatisation decision was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee of Privatisation chaired by Finance Minister Ishaq Dar.

The committee "after deliberation decided to include Pakistan International Airlines Co. Ltd in the list of active privatisation projects of the ongoing privatisation programme, following an amendment in the law by the Parliament," a finance ministry statement said.

PIA has some of the most expensive tickets and yet it is highly mismanaged. They want you to hate it so you are ok with selling. There’s so much money to be made that Emirates and Qatar fly full planes between to and from the country

Job losses for PIA staff coming up

Pakistan to privatise loss-making national airline​

By Asif Shahzad

The privatisation decision was taken at a meeting of the Cabinet Committee of Privatisation chaired by Finance Minister Ishaq Dar.

The committee "after deliberation decided to include Pakistan International Airlines Co. Ltd in the list of active privatisation projects of the ongoing privatisation programme, following an amendment in the law by the Parliament," a finance ministry statement said.

PIA has some of the most expensive tickets and yet it is highly mismanaged. They want you to hate it so you are ok with selling. There’s so much money to be made that Emirates and Qatar fly full planes between to and from the country

Job losses for PIA staff coming up

PIA is nothing more than a leech on the public exchequer

Last edited:
Yes but there is nothing further can be achieved by keeping it afloat
On the contrary. PIA a has a lot of issues and still has customers that pay premium prices. Flying in PIA isn’t cheap at all. There are minor fixes that have been overlooked because people just aren’t doing their job. Pakistani customers fill Emirates and Qatar airways it won’t be hard get those pre-existing customer base to fly PIA with fixes.

Almost every government owned business and institution is going through similar issues. The fix is to fix the system, and to hold the corrupt responsible.

On the contrary. PIA a has a lot of issues and still has customers that pay premium prices. Flying in PIA isn’t cheap at all. There are minor fixes that have been overlooked because people just aren’t doing their job. Pakistani customers fill Emirates and Qatar airways it won’t be hard get those pre-existing customer base to fly PIA with fixes.

Almost every government owned business and institution is going through similar issues. The fix is to fix the system, and to hold the corrupt responsible.
my dad lived and died while working in pia. I wont spend a dime on it. we humans work when we have a desire of profit or other a fear of getting fired. otherwise we all cut corners. I am not advocating for naked capitalism that is in the west today, but if you take away the carrot and the stick, you will get a stuck donkey. which is most public sector employess are, even in the west.

Just Do It Already and Sell PSM While You're At It

Institutions that are in loss must be sold. Steel mill, pia, railway... sell it all!!!!! Privatization is the best thing!

Last edited:
my dad lived and died while working in pia. I wont spend a dime on it. we humans work when we have a desire of profit or other a fear of getting fired. otherwise we all cut corners. I am not advocating for naked capitalism that is in the west today, but if you take away the carrot and the stick, you will get a stuck donkey. which is most public sector employess are, even in the west.
Even capitalist countries like the USA have failing companies that are only held up due to government bailouts.

This is the worst case scenario public money funding the pockets of private businesses due to mismanaged with little to no financial benefits to the public.

PTCL is another great example of a great public company that has gone down hill in Pakistan ever since privatization with Etisalat

As some one that is very familiar with PIA without being an employee, what carrots and sticks do you think would bring the airline to self sufficiency?

I’ll give my example, why should I fly PIA (which doesn’t even go to New York anymore and stole my luggage last time) between New York and Multan?

I’ll give one easy way; A direct New York - Multan route would definitely be one way even at premium prices. No layovers and no connecting flights (one lay over in the UK maybe ok if needed by PIA to fill the plane with passengers and only if we don’t have to get off the plane and go through customs)

Otherwise, the gulf carriers are government subsidized and PIA can’t compete with those deep pockets. It can compete on time and direct service as well as food quality tailored for our palette.

Even capitalist countries like the USA have failing companies that are only held up due to government bailouts.

This is the worst case scenario public money funding the pockets of private businesses due to mismanaged with little to no financial benefits to the public.

PTCL is another great example of a great public company that has gone down hill in Pakistan ever since privatization with Etisalat
I am not for selling it to manshas, abbasis or hashwanis or zardaris front men. If you go back and see around the time of teddy roosevelt and how he controlled robber barrons. where the companies were privately owned but heavily regulated and a healthy union. any power, even union, corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. I think unions should be local or just at a company level. they should not be national or political (piassi or air league in pia).

As some one that is very familiar with PIA without being an employee, what carrots and sticks do you think would bring the airline to self sufficiency?

I’ll give my example, why should I fly PIA (which doesn’t even go to New York anymore and stole my luggage last time) between New York and Multan?

I’ll give one easy way; A direct New York - Multan route would definitely be one way even at premium prices. No layovers and no connecting flights (one lay over in the UK maybe ok if needed by PIA to fill the plane with passengers and only if we don’t have to get off the plane and go through customs)

Otherwise, the gulf carriers are government subsidized and PIA can’t compete with those deep pockets. It can compete on time and direct service as well as food quality tailored for our palette.
Multan would never make sense because you may fill 1 flight a week. emirates will give you daily with connection. beat them for the far east crowd or bdeshi crowd. dont be a destination but a connection. compete on service and price.

I was talking about ops. the quality of the plane and ontime departure. direct to-from usa wont happen until security gets to an independent ppl. every time dhs visited lahore to see security they found it lacking and would not allow direct flights (direct words of dad). it effs up crew rostering. for having a stop on the way in to us, but not back.

PTCL should be totally sell.

Also Pakistan Railway and Wapda.

Too much corruption there.

Total Failed Department...

Back
Top Bottom