What's new

Promotion of Chinese language to strengthen Pak-China friendship

Omar1984

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
‘Promotion of Chinese language to strengthen Pak-China friendship’

* Chinese envoy says language’s promotion in Pakistan to help improve diplomatic, commercial, economic, cultural and strategic relations

Staff Report

ISLAMABAD: Promotion of Chinese language in Pakistan will consolidate the “all-weather” and “deeper than the ocean” friendship between Pakistan and China and it will not only help improve bilateral relations but also enhance diplomatic, commercial, economic, cultural and strategic relations between the two neighbours, said Ambassador of China Liu Jian.

The envoy said this while addressing the prize distribution ceremony of the 11th Chinese Bridge – Chinese Proficiency Competition for Foreign College Students – arranged by Confucius Institute Islamabad and Embassy of the People’s Republic of China at National University of Modern Languages (NUML), Islamabad.

Jian said that Pakistan and China are enjoying very cordial relations in every field of life and the recent visit of 100-member delegation of All-China Youth Federation reflects the fact that both countries are interested in people-to-people interaction, teacher-students exchanges and social and cultural exchanges to trickle these relations down to grassroots levels.

“Such platforms for language learning will enable you to search and avail economic, commercial and cultural opportunities from a global milieu,” he added.

Speaking on the occasion, NUML Director General (DG) Brig Azam Jamal said, “We are thankful to the Chinese embassy and Chinese government for provision of proper syllabi, books, reading material and teachers for Chinese Department. The department is playing a very efficient role in producing young proficient Chinese language speakers and alumni of this department are now serving on key posts of the country as well as abroad. Our cooperation will increase manifold in future as our young Pakistani teachers of Chinese language imparting the language learning diligently and the time is not far when every second Pakistani will be able to understand and speak Chinese language.”

As many as 10 Pakistani students participated in the 11th Chinese Bridge Competition. The competition was divided into three parts and students had to deliver a speech in Chinese language in the first part, answer questions of judges in the second part and perform something in Chinese talent show, which was third part of the competition.

Students delivered their speeches in Chinese, answered questions with confidence and performed cultural dances and sang Chinese songs to demonstrate their mastery in Chinese language.

The first position was attained by Muhammad Waqas Ali Goraya, the second position was claimed by two students Musadiq Hanif and Fazal Rahim.

The winners of this competition will participate in the final competition of 11th Chinese Bridge, which will be held in China.

NUML Rector Maj Gen (r) Masood Hassan and Liu Jian gave away prizes to the winners. In the end, the NUML rector presented a university shield to the Chinese ambassador, while the envoy also presented Masood Hassan a gift.

The competition was also attended by Chinese Cultural Counsellor Zhang Yingbao and Dr Lei Weizhong.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

:pakistan::china:

Excellent news.

Instead of teaching useless foreign languages like French, Spanish, or Italian which are not near our country, we should teach foreign languages: languages that our allies use.

Besides Mandarin has the largest amount of native speakers, more than English native speakers.

Excellent news.

Instead of teaching useless foreign languages like French, Spanish, or Italian which are not near our country, we should teach foreign languages languages that are allies use.

You are right. French and Spanish are useless languages for Pakistani children. There are more Chinese businessmen in Pakistan than there are French or Spanish businessmen in Pakistan.

Awsome communication is key in all relationships any idea if our chinese friends are learning urdu as well ?

Awsome communication is key in all relationships any idea if our chinese friends are learning urdu as well ?

The gym I go to is frequented by a Chinese who was quoting Ghalib...imagine that ! Even my Urdu isn't good enough to understand Ghalib without consulting a Dictionary ! But I suppose he was a Pakistani of Chinese descent so he's probably been exposed to the language all his life !

@PakShah and Omar

Both you guys said it right! :tup: We are all located right next to or within proximity of the next economic superpower and alot of our money is going to come from increased trade and ties with them. We figured that out back in the 80's and since then we have actively promoted the learning of Mandarin as a language of commerce. So these days you also get traditionally non-Chinese Singaporeans (those with Malay or Indian ancestry) learning Mandarin at least on a conversational level. It would really be of immense benefit when u guys start investing over there, opening up more businesses, offices and the likes.

I haven't had the luxury of living or working in the PRC yet, but I have spent 6 months in Taiwan on a military stint. In my opinion, the Chinese people are a pleasure to work with and the experience u get is certainly worth the time spent. The key to this though, is Mandarin. I encourage everyone to have some knowledge of it, at least on a conversational level.

The gym I go to is frequented by a Chinese who was quoting Ghalib...imagine that ! Even my Urdu isn't good enough to understand Ghalib without consulting a Dictionary ! But I suppose he was a Pakistani of Chinese descent so he's probably been exposed to the language all his life !

Wow that is impressive, but I meant on a state to state level we need to get our urdu teacgers over there asap and spread our culture as well its a 2 way street you know. Question for chinese forum members kind of off topic i apologise but what is the chances chinese leaders allow us to spread our culture and vice versa would our islamic values keep them a little skeptical or am i just buying to much into the communist factor? Please enlighten me lol

@PakShah and Omar

Both you guys said it right! :tup: We are all located right next to or within proximity of the next economic superpower and alot of our money is going to come from increased trade and ties with them. We figured that out back in the 80's and since then we have actively promoted the learning of Mandarin as a language of commerce. So these days you also get traditionally non-Chinese Singaporeans (those with Malay or Indian ancestry) learning Mandarin at least on a conversational level. It would really be of immense benefit when u guys start investing over there, opening up more businesses, offices and the likes.

I haven't had the luxury of living or working in the PRC yet, but I have spent 6 months in Taiwan on a military stint. In my opinion, the Chinese people are a pleasure to work with and the experience u get is certainly worth the time spent. The key to this though, is Mandarin. I encourage everyone to have some knowledge of it, at least on a conversational level.

The French Embassy runs French Language Courses and so does the German Consulate with their Goethe Institute but unfortunately the Chinese Embassy doesn't run a Mandarin course otherwise I'd taken up on it and so I'm searching for it right now ! Any recommendations....?

Wow that is impressive, but I meant on a state to state level we need to get our urdu teacgers over there asap and spread our culture as well its a 2 way street you know. Question for chinese forum members kind of off topic i apologise but what is the chances chinese leaders allow us to spread our culture and vice versa would our islamic values keep them a little skeptical or am i just buying to much into the communist factor? Please enlighten me lol

I don't think that we'd be promoting the Urdu language because our mode of communication with the rest of the world has always been the English Language ! I've met a few Chinese here in Lahore but their English was pretty bad let alone them knowing any Urdu and so I had to do most of the talking in either making signs in the air or by pointing things out ! Though I'm sure that more and more Chinese are getting educated in the English Language and the number who can will increase even further !

Yea man thats true about the english language but you know i feel that we should b encouraging our own language to others especially close allies not some third party idk mayb its just me regardless heres to a long mutually beneficial pak chinese relationship :pakistan: :cheers: :china:

Chinese language is difficult to learn but I'm sure our bright Pakistani students can learn quickly.

The future is China-Pakistan :china: :pakistan:

Actually dude, conversational Chinese is very very easy to pick up. I'd recommend that you guys implement at least one year of conversational Chinese at high school or have a module for it as a compulsory elective in all your Universities. That would work wonders I tell u. Chinese people are usually very helpful once u take an effort to speak Mandarin. Rest of it, they'd help u get better at it.

Unless if you are interested in reading some of their literary works, which are plenty, then u would need the writing. I'm trying to work on my writing and reading and hopefully I'd be able to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms in Chinese someday.:tup:

Question for chinese forum members kind of off topic i apologise but what is the chances chinese leaders allow us to spread our culture and vice versa would our islamic values keep them a little skeptical or am i just buying to much into the communist factor? Please enlighten me lol

I don't see any reason why Chinese leaders are afraid of Pakistani cultures. :azn: Culture wise the middle Kingdom was always open to foreign cultures and adopt what they feel valuable. That's exactly how Islam spread in China. (The emperor didn't convert feeling there're too much ritual to follow. :laugh: ) But lots of Arabs and Persians settled down and on this PDF we have Muslim Chinese members here as their descendents.

When I was a kid Pakistan movies used to be popular, and it is not an exaggeration to say most Chinese knew this song:
eternal love

Lately though I have to say that culture exchange is not enough. The focus seems to be on Military cooperation, this should definitely be improved.

And no one in China believe in Communism today, including the top leaders.

Excellent news.

Instead of teaching useless foreign languages like French, Spanish, or Italian which are not near our country, we should teach foreign languages: languages that our allies use.

Besides Mandarin has the largest amount of native speakers, more than English native speakers.

Chinese language is very tough to learn.

The French Embassy runs French Language Courses and so does the German Consulate with their Goethe Institute but unfortunately the Chinese Embassy doesn't run a Mandarin course otherwise I'd taken up on it and so I'm searching for it right now ! Any recommendations....?

Add British Council for English.

I suggest Confucius Institute. They are the official Chinese institute to teach Chinese to non-chinese.

Use the book NPCR (New Practical Chinese Reader), the set consists of 6 books. If you do one lesson every week it will take around 3 years to complete all 6 books and after that you will be able to read Chinese magazines and essays and newspapers. It is used in Beijing University as well.

Do get acquainted with a Chinese person in order to practice what him/her what you learn and this will help a lot in further learning.

Initially you will be introduced to the Pinyin (writing Chinese using Latin letters) in the first couple of classes and then you will start with the characters. They do not have alphabets like other languages instead a particular character for a word and you have to memorize them by writing.

After you familiarize yourself with the characters you can go for the HSK test which goes from level 1 to level 6, level six being the highest. HSK is Chinese proficiency test for non-native speakers which reads "Hanyu Shuiping Kaoshi" literally meaning Chinese level test.

Learning Chinese sounds difficult but it is rather easy.

mandarin is easier to learn than German perhaps same level of difficulty as learning french.

@fly2012 the song's in Hindi dude..!

mandarin is easier to learn than German perhaps same level of difficulty as learning french.

@fly2012 the song's in Hindi dude..!

You are wrong. Its an old Pakistani Urdu song by Mehdi Hassan from an old Pakistani movie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom