What's new

question about the AWACS

Anas Ali

Reaction score
Country
Egypt
can AWACS like hawkeye 2000 guide sparrow missile or sidewinder ??
please guys i need your comments would be a great help to me

can AWACS like hawkeye 2000 guide sparrow missile or sidewinder ??
please guys i need your comments would be a great help to me

First you need to know AIM-7 Sparrow is semi active radar homing air to air missile. Means Semi-active radar homing (SARH) guided missiles are simpler and more common. They function by detecting radar energy reflected from the target. The radar energy is emitted from the launching aircraft's own radar system.

This means that the launch aircraft has to maintain a “lock” on the target (keep illuminating the target aircraft with its own radar) until the missile makes the interception. This limits the attacking aircraft's ability to maneuver, which may be necessary should threats to the attacking aircraft appear.

AIM-7 Sparrow variant needs to be upgraded for data link and even then the nature is AEW&C would have to maintain its course to main a lock on the target, not sure how AEW&C would go that close against Target [specially being intercepted by Fighters/Fighter Bombers].

AIM-9 Sidewinder is a short-range air to air missile not a productive idea even if it can be upgraded to be guided by AWACS, It is primarily used for near beyond visual range (NBVR) and within visual range (WVR) areas.

Lastly who will let you upgrade the missiles, Not US that is the reason they did not sell AMRAAMs to EAF. The best option EAF has is 72-90 JFT BLK II with atleast 300 SD-10A

thanks for answering i was hoping to find away but seems impossible .
and it would be awesome to get the JFT BLK II i am really wating for any good news about it

Back
Top Bottom