What's new

Rail locos from Japan stuck on pricing front :India Today

Raftaar

Reaction score
Country
India
New Delhi, Jan 27 (PTI) The procurement of 200 high-horse power electric locomotives for Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC) is stuck at the negotiation stage as the railways has differed with a Japanese consortium on the pricing front.

The railways is contemplating procuring 200 electric locomotives of 9000 horse power (HP) capacity each for WDFC and as per the loan condition, these have to be bought from Japan.

"We are in negotiation with the Japanese consortium for for the procurement of 200 electric locomotives. The prices quoted by the Japanese companies are on higher side which we are not agreeing to," said a senior Railway Ministry official.

The loco contract is estimated to be about Rs 4500 crore and the first batch of locomotives is expcted to arrive after two years of the awarding of the contract.

While WDFC is being entirely funded by JICA loan, Eastern DFC is part-funded by the World Bank.

The railways was supposed to award the contracts for loco procurement by December end, last year but the pricing issue has delayed it further.

"We are hopeful that the issue will be resolved shortly and the contracts will be awarded accordingly," he said.

The Japanese consortium comprising five companies including Kawasaki, Toshiba, Mitsubishi Electric and Mitsubishi Corporate had submitted their bids in October last year for procurement of the 9000 HP locomotives for WDFC.

The sophisticated locomotives with IGBT technology are being procured with Japanese assistance.

While 40 will be imported from Japan as per the arrangement, 60 will be assembled at the railways Dankuni facility and the rest 100 will be manufactured at Dankuni.

The high-power locomotives will be used to haul double-stack containers on WDFC.

WDFC will cover around 1,534 kms from Dadri to Mumbai, passing through Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra.

The Eastern corridor will have a length of 1,839 kms, connecting Ludhiana in Punjab to Dankuni in West Bengal, while passing through Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Bihar. PTI ARU SC

WDFC will cover around 1,534 kms from Dadri to Mumbai, passing through Delhi, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
do you have enough supporting track and carriages to transport arjun...? >60 ton !!!

Buddy, Please no Arjun here......whats the link between freight corridor and arjun ?
pakistan was not interested in heavy tanks as our tracks can't transport heavy equipment (inland from cantonment to battlefield)...so we are stick to range <50 ton..
i know india has improved but still are tracks good enough to transport artillery and tanks on train (heavy ones) after you have powerful locomotives...

pakistan was not interested in heavy tanks as our tracks can't transport heavy equipment (inland from cantonment to battlefield)...so we are stick to range <50 ton..
i know india has improved but still are tracks good enough to transport artillery and tanks on train (heavy ones) after you have powerful locomotives...
Well lets see. but at present , it dont know.

What is the relation of Freight Corridor with Arjun MBT?

And yes there are tracks, & this is not about track but about specialized coaches.

Yes. The freight corridors are being built to carry loads in excess of 70 tons per axle, right @anant_s ?

And much of the existing netowrk (not freight corridors) is also being upgraded to carry extreme loads. Comparing Indian Railways to Pakistan Railways is a bit of a waste of time.

do you have enough supporting track and carriages to transport arjun...? >60 ton !!!
yes, existing heavy flatcars of capacity 220 ton with 22 ton each axle are available. Infact standard BOXNHL wagons can carry a gross load of 68-70 tons.
1.JPG

2.JPG

Main_Picture5.jpg

Yes. The freight corridors are being built to carry loads in excess of 70 tons per axle, right @anant_s ?
DFC is designed with axle load capacity of 25T upgradeable to 30T.

pakistan was not interested in heavy tanks as our tracks can't transport heavy equipment (inland from cantonment to battlefield)...so we are stick to range <50 ton
Sir, load in tonnage is not a problem, rather load capacity per axle is important. even very conservatively considering an axle load of 18T track and bridge loading, a 4 axle flatcar can carry 70+ton load. & even though i dont have data, but PR tracks should be much better from axle loading consideration.

Last edited:
yes, existing heavy flatcars of capacity 220 ton with 22 ton each axle are available. Infact standard BOXNHL wagons can carry a gross load of 68-70 tons.
View attachment 290415
View attachment 290416
View attachment 290417

DFC is designed with axle load capacity of 25T upgradeable to 30T.

Sir, load in tonnage is not a problem, rather load capacity per axle is important. even very conservatively considering an axle load of 18T track and bridge loading, a 4 axle flatcar can carry 70+ton load. & even though i dont have data, but PR tracks should be much better from axle loading consideration.
How are you man!...
Just remembering it today as it was one of my favourite posts.

Japanese are expensive and with the added unofficial taxes aka bribes their prices will be astronomical

this is common practice also in other nations around asia

Who are we going to fight here ?

Yes, ICF makes carriages, tracks also available and you thought IA took 256 Arjuns from TN to Rajasthan by road ?

Pakistan chose low weight tank because of bridge strength in Pakistan. Any1 can confirm ?
anyway, it is not about just tracks but some bridges and also, makeshift bridges on the river. Though not sure whether that is the prime reason or even a consideration.
Yes, ICF makes carriages, tracks also available and you thought IA took 256 Arjuns from TN to Rajasthan by road ?
Man.. I had too little information 7 years ago. For sure they wd hv thought of transporting it.

Back
Top Bottom