What's new

Raymond Davis Case: Developing Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
The video of Raymond Davis, after his arrest, telling the police that he's a consultant with the U.S. Consulate in Lahore (does not even claim to be a diplomat) will significantly weaken the U.S. case that he has diplomatic immunity as consultants and consular officers do not have diplomatic immunity for murder.

I spy

Sami-Shah-New1111111111111-640x480.jpg

The writer is a standup comedian sami.shah@tribune.com.pk

Raymond Davis, it turns out, was no Jason Bourne. My entire life, a heady mix of popular culture and conspiracy theory, described all American ‘secret agents’ as Silent Warriors Who Kill Efficiently. If Raymond Davis actually is a spy, placed by the US to commit acts of espionage, then I am sorely disappointed. Sure he killed with efficiency, nary a bullet wasted, but you never see Matt Damon pumping someone full of bullets, taking a picture with his cell phone and then getting caught by an enraged mob. The spies of my imagination would have snapped a neck or two, vaulted onto the nearest rooftop and then disappeared into the night. Maybe pinching a vital nerve cluster of any witnesses along the way that would have caused memory loss and an overwhelming sense of awe.

Instead, all we have is a pudgy white guy who looks terribly frightened, as angry Lahoris press in on him from every side. Of course, it’s a given that this case is always going to reveal less than it really is. Were the two boys killed actually spies? Is Raymond Davis a spy? Am I a spy? Are you? Also, are we in violation of the Vienna Convention? What is the Vienna Convention? Where is Vienna anyway? Should we just hand him back? Should we swap him for Dr Aafia? Should we tie him to a drone and airdrop him onto the violent streets of Sialkot?

These are the things we do know: Raymond Davis is American. Which means that Pakistanis are going to overreact in every possible way to this. Protests against him have so far been small, but should he be given a one-way ticket back to America on the next PIA (or is it Turkish Airways) flight, then watch people lose their collective minds. We also know that since Raymond Davis is American, the US will handle this in the worst possible way. All the cultural sensitivity seminars their government attends and efforts at improving their image will be completely forgotten as they resort to overbearing bullying. You can expect country music songs about him and a feature film starring George Clooney by summer. In 3D no less. They have already threatened to cut off our foreign aid supply, which as everyone knows, we are addicted to worse than Afghan heroin.

There is a silver lining to this whole debacle though: For the first time in ages, Liberals and Conservatives agree on something. Both groups have been at odds with each other for a while now, disagreeing on everything from the blasphemy law to the role of Islam in the state to whether or not Hamid Mir understands what a ‘Fascist’ is. Yet, on this one issue, both agree that the final decision should be made by rule of law. Let the courts decide Raymond Davis’s final fate. If they decide to punish him here, American pressure and Vienna Convention be damned, then watch Liberals and Conservatives hugging on the streets. If the LHC decides to hand him back then watch Conservatives burn creatively designed effigies while Liberals write acerbic blog entries against America. It’s irrelevant that, constitutionally speaking, the final decision on this issue should actually come from the Pakistan Foreign Office. Opportunities like this don’t come very often. Let’s not let details get in the way of this Liberal-Conservative union.

In the end though, only one person is to blame for all of this: Raymond Davis himself. If, like a proper spy, he had killed those two men using Karate and then transformed his car into a high-powered jet that flies him back to America, flight path managed by his spy-watch, then none of this would have happened.

Published in The Express TribuneThe Express Tribune, February 10th, 2011.

Nobody left him!

Its CIA culture, when you are charged in an alien land as an operative - your home contacts are silent!

You wanna know his kith n kins?

Wait till he is west bound, and lands in the United States!

Raymond Davis has a wife called Rebecca Davis.

Raymond spent 10 years in the U.S. military, starting with basic training at Fort Benning, Ga., in 1993. He moved to special warfare training with the Third Special Forces Group at Fort Bragg, N.C., in 1998, and left the Army in 2003. As part of the U.S. military, he did a six-month stint as a member of a United Nations peacekeeping force in Macedonia in 1994.

Raymond, along with his wife, Rebecca, set up Hyperion Protective Services in 2006 in Nevada to provide security consultancy services to the U.S. government.

You have option to ignore me, instead of dancing naked in the public for publicity n simpathy :sick:

no please i have no time for reading bullshit or thumping on ignore button, its better if u all bhartis stay away with your rubbish

will significantly weaken the U.S. case that he has diplomatic immunity as consultants and consular officers do not have diplomatic immunity for murder.

There is no legal fight, neither would it come to it. There wont be any trial.

Its world politics, and Pakistan as a weaker nation vis a vis the super power, will have no option but to surrender RD to US pressure.

Above is the reality...

Love me or leave me that is...

no please i have no time for reading bullshit or thumping on ignore button, its better if u all bhartis stay away with your rubbish

What is rubish to you might be a Mcchicken nugget to others!

Why dont you understand and tone down your tenor and temper?

"what is death of a deer may be a life of a lion"

Educate yourself more!

Its world politics, and Pakistan as a weaker nation vis a vis the super power, will have no option but to surrender RD to US pressure.

Above is the reality...

Love me or leave me that is...

bhai kia aqal peh parda hai??? nikal yaha se sharaft se :rofl::rofl:

walk away please

Well, U.S. "super power" must be on the decline since its "diplomat" has been under arrest in "weaker" Pakistan for 15 days and counting.

Also, since Raymond Davis was remanded into the custody of the Pakistani police by a Pakistani magistrate on 28 January 2011, the "legal fight" is already underway. How it ends, is a different matter.

I think what Pakistan is trying to do is to keep Raymond in jail for as long as possible.

Not quite. He is still subject to U.S. law. It's possible Davis can be prosecuted in the U.S.
[/QUOTE]

What are the legalities which could be invoked for a formal Judicial inquiry regarding this insane act by a murderous person in which the GOP has no fault but yet still is facing pressure.
It will be the political death of anybody's Political carrier if he showed his sympathies in letting this criminal go.
IMHO hes not a diplomat, This has been confirmed from very very ,,VERY valid sources. If hed be a diplomat then it wouldnt have taken State Dept 12 days to confirm his diplomatic status.
Further in a good Democracy theres nothing stronger and beyond the reach of Law, Hope Uncle Sam abides by the very own Democracy lecture , which its so fond of giving to anybody whose at odds with it....!

the "legal fight" is already underway. How it ends, is a different matter.

You should not be clueless as you are then.....

If you know foreign affairs, it was simple!

What are the legalities which could be invoked for a formal Judicial inquiry regarding this insane act by a murderous person in which the GOP has no fault but yet still is facing pressure.
It will be the political death of anybody's Political carrier if he showed his sympathies in letting this criminal go.

Legalities would be trashed by none other than GOP, the way India did, when Anderson of Union Carbide responsible for lakhs of people murder was set free!

Almost every country wants to be in the good books of USA - the USD printing nation.

Mark my words...

Raymond Davis will remain in a Pakistani jail for at least 30 days. Don't expect him to get out before February 27.

Mark my words...

Raymond Davis will remain in a Pakistani jail for at least 30 days. Don't expect him to get out before February 27.

Is 30 days in jail (joking with policemen, drinking nestle water, eating haleem) worth Pakistani awam´s anger and final settlement?

The video of Raymond Davis, after his arrest, telling the police that he's a consultant with the U.S. Consulate in Lahore (does not even claim to be a diplomat) will significantly weaken the U.S. case that he has diplomatic immunity as consultants and consular officers do not have diplomatic immunity for murder.

no that video makes our police look like chai-mittai entertainers;

they should have been numb, totally un-animated, and just gone about asking that which needed to be asked, filed and submitted in a professional manner expected of them.

damn, even in American detention centers and precincts im reasonably confident that they arent as ''accomodating'' --hell, i sure doubt they offer suspects bottled mineral water.... :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom