What's new

Reflections on Islamist politics in the Bangladesh context

Skallagrim

Reaction score

Posted on May 4, 2014
by Anon

Let us define the Islamist voter as someone who would blindly vote any party or candidate basing their platform on Islam. Vast majority of such voters in Bangladesh do not have more than few years of formal schooling. And the small minority that is educated are not capable of leading the rest because these two groups of Islamist voters have quite different visions of Islam.

And this difference in how Islam is to be envisaged goes many years back to the 11th century, when a schism emerged among the Muslims on education and knowledge. Specifically, Imam Gazali called for madrassah education to focus only on religious study, ignoring science, statecraft, philosophy and mathematics.

When Muslims conquered Syria they came across hundreds of books by Greek philosophers and mathematicians. During the Abbasid Caliphate starting from 750 AD, Muslims actively searched, translated and disseminated such books of knowledge under royal patron ship. Although many of the ideas in those books contradicted Muslim cultural and religious beliefs at that time, they still went ahead with studying and distributing them in the interest of acquiring knowledge. Meanwhile Europe was in the dark ages where all scholarship was confined into monastery based theological studies.

But things turned upside down from the effects of Crusade and then Mongol invasion. From the interactions of European Christians and Arab Muslims, the Europeans acquired the secular study of knowledge in the Arab lands and the Muslims took up the Church-based education of Europe. The hope continuing the tradition of Ibne Rushd, Ibne Sina, Al- Beruni, Al-Khwarizmi, Al-Farabi, Al-Kindi, Jabir Al-Haiyan etc, withered into nothing.

Imam Gazali was chiefly responsible for this. He forbade all heretical ideas and thoughts to preserve Islam. He fiercely attacked Ibne Sina in his book Tahafut Al Falasifa. Because of the vehemence of his attacks, even bold thinkers like Omar Khayyam withdrew from broadcasting their ideas vigorously. Because of Gazali, madrassah education, which was the only mass education system for youth apart from the universities for higher education, confined itself only on religious studies. But there were oppositions to this restriction in mass education in different parts of the Muslim world.

Eventually, this schism led to three regional schools: a science oriented one based on Egypt’s Al Azhar; a syncretistic one in Turkey; and a religion-focused one based in Samarkent.

Bangladesh’s madrassahs are the heir to the Islamic discourse written in Farsi a millennium ago in Samarkent. The Samarkent school was abolished by the Soviets, but its literature survived in the madrassahs of Afghanistan, Pakistan, India (Deoband) and Bangladesh’s qaumi madrassahs.

The textbooks used in Bangladeshi madrassahs are all based on the Samarkent school literature, and are written in Farsi or archaic Urdu. Indeed, there are instances of Hadiths of questionable authenticity taught in our madrassahs based on this literature. For example, only recently such a dubious Hadith was circulated in social media, claiming that the Prophet (pbuh) ordered us to attack India. Being the heir of the Samarkent school, madrassah students of Bangladesh tend to read archaic Urdu and Farsi more than modern Arabic-Farsi- Urdu.

After 9/11/2001, modernisation of Bangladesh’s madrassahs became a priority. The then BNP government, with the assistance of Jamaat and large foreign funding, attempted a modernisation drive. This led to an intense conflict between qaumi madrassahs and aliya madrassahs and those trained from Medina University — with the latter denounced as Jew- trained-heretic by some eminent leaders of the qaumi madrassahs.

The Imams of nine out of ten mosques in Bangladesh are from these qaumi madrassahs. They are the role models of Bangladeshi Islamists. Scholars from different schools are viewed with suspicion by those trained in the Samarkent tradition. To expect modernising Islamists like Fetullah Gulen or Tariq Ramadan is thus unrealistic in the Bangladeshi context.

And how big is the Islamist vote in Bangladesh anyway? Let’s think about it through attendance at mosques. The same mosque that can’t fit the jamaat on a Friday, causing a traffic jam outside, can’t find a single line of Muslims for the Fajr prayer. That is the blunt reality of Islamism in Bangladesh.

The apparent rise of Islamism in today’s Bangladesh is a socio-cultural reaction against Awami misrule and Shahbagi cultural hubris. It is similar to the socio- cultural reaction against the upper caste Hindu chauvinism a century ago. Just like the Muslim League politics ended after partition, sympathy for the Islamists will also wane once the political scene changes.

Before an Islamic revolution is even plausible in Bangladesh, Islam has to be actually practiced along side science and technology. Vast majority of us practice neither. Those who practice both however don’t represent the Samarkent traditionalists, who are the actual Islamists.

And that’s why Islamist politics is a non- starter in Bangladesh.

Reflections on Islamist politics in the Bangladesh context | Nuraldeen

Posted on May 4, 2014
by Anon

Before an Islamic revolution is even plausible in Bangladesh, Islam has to be actually practiced along side science and technology. Vast majority of us practice neither. Those who practice both however don’t represent the Samarkent traditionalists, who are the actual Islamists.

And that’s why Islamist politics is a non- starter in Bangladesh.

Reflections on Islamist politics in the Bangladesh context | Nuraldeen

Jamati chagol guli 43 bochorao ai ginish ta bozhe nai, aro 43 bochorao bozhbe na :hitwall:

Islamist politicians(or any politician for that matter) in Bangladesh are not interested about Islam.....just like others they are power hungry and need a platform....

Politics in Bangladesh is a whole different ball game.Islam is just the name of the game.I have met few Islamic party people.few of them are actual practicing Muslim,rest is is there for something els.proper Islamic party is non existing, apart from a group who call themselves Zaker party,I have not heard any Islamic party actually helping people,feeding the poor,building mosque, or educating them in Islamic laws/culture.
But the main problem remain for all the parties, including AL and BNP is the mass is so religious oriented that to get to them is Islam in most case.Hence, the label of Islam.

Jamati chagol guli 43 bochorao ai ginish ta bozhe nai, aro 43 bochorao bozhbe na :hitwall:
akhane ja bola hoise oita BAL er india-khor bandarder bujhar bepar. pro-BD people want development of madrasa. pro-Indian BAL bandars want to lock Islam or Muslims' heritage in the cupboard

apart from a group who call themselves Zaker party,.

Isn't Zaker party Phir-Murid based party?

If so then your assessment about Islamic party in Bangladesh is dead wrong my friend.

Tumi ki buzla? Aar ja e karo lekin munafiqi kairo na.

Awami indian haddi chusa kutta league Islam aar musalman der khula dushman der kilaf Jihad karo Bangladesh aar Islam er khatir. Awami ghaddar der na katam karle Indian ghulami nazdik.

akhane ja bola hoise oita BAL er india-khor bandarder bujhar bepar. pro-BD people want development of madrasa. pro-Indian BAL bandars want to lock Islam or Muslims' heritage in the cupboard

So called pro-BD-Pro-Islam gelo koi? Bangladesh er sar zameen Awami munafiq e sailab hoiyaa gelo lagta che. Matki bad-jaat la-hasinar shakal surat deekyaa Iblis khusi te lafa lafi karta che.

Last edited:
Isn't Zaker party Phir-Murid based party?

If so then your assessment about Islamic party in Bangladesh is dead wrong my friend.
Hats not what I ment.wethr they believe/go to pir I don't know. But after Aila hit Khulna they were the only group of political party who came to people home for alms,food ,cloths.they gave free medical services, which by the way they do in regular basis,every Friday free clinic for poor.
I have never seen them imposing their vew on other people.I have been to few Dawa,where scholar s from abroad came to give lecture.its very straight forward. I even asked the women of my house,if they were approached, no.
So.I think what I said stands.

Tumi ki buzla? Aar ja e karo lekin munafiqi kairo na.

Awami indian haddi chusa kutta league Islam aar musalman der khula dushman der kilaf Jihad karo Bangladesh aar Islam er khatir. Awami ghaddar der na katam karle Indian ghulami nazdik.

So called pro-BD-Pro-Islam gelo koi? Bangladesh er sar zameen Awami munafiq e sailab hoiyaa gelo lagta che. Matki bad-jaat la-hasinar shakal surat deekyaa Iblis khusi te lafa lafi karta che.

Sorry to disappoint you, i am not a Pakistan and Urdu worshiper like you. I love Allah & his Rasul. Its up to Allah to judge who is Munafiq. If you are so confident about your Iman, i challange you pray to Allah to curse the one with lesser Iman between the two of us. I am ready when you are.

Isn't jamat the one claiming to be a Islamic party? When jamat isn't doing their job how can you hold other responsible?

Last edited:
Sorry to disappoint you, i am not a Pakistan and Urdu worshiper like you. I love Allah & his Rasul. Its up to Allah to judge who is Munafiq. If you are so confident about your Iman, i challange you pray to Allah to curse the one with lesser Iman between the two of us. I am ready when you are.

Isn't jamat the one claiming to be a Islamic party? When jamat isn't doing their job how can you hold other responsible?
do you know the meaning of "jamat"? in any case the problem is that BAL is not claiming to be an Islamic party and iwo a party that is pro-Bangladesh. if either JI or BNP is claiming to be one, that is commendable. but that doesn't mean BAL gets the pass to work as India's dirty hand in BD

you are not a "Pakistan and Urdu" worshiper as neither of the others are. but you would do well to not disrespect them to display your Bengali Nationalism. as much as i shun such ethnocentric nationalism, i think it's important to respect the languages of the land and Pakistan as a Muslim political movement that culminated into East Pakistan or Bangladesh that are all important parts of the history and heritage of the Bengal.

do you know the meaning of "jamat"? in any case the problem is that BAL is not claiming to be an Islamic party and iwo a party that is pro-Bangladesh. if either JI or BNP is claiming to be one, that is commendable. but that doesn't mean BAL gets the pass to work as India's dirty hand in BD

you are not a "Pakistan and Urdu" worshiper as neither of the others are. but you would do well to not disrespect them to display your Bengali Nationalism. as much as i shun such ethnocentric nationalism, i think it's important to respect the languages of the land and Pakistan as a Muslim political movement that culminated into East Pakistan or Bangladesh that are all important parts of the history and heritage of the Bengal.

Did i ever showed any disrespect to Pakistan or any other countries? What i meant in my previous post is that some people of our country love "Pakistan and Urdu" too a point that they don't have time left too think about Islam.

How many people of our country pray salat regularly? How many rich people give Jakat properly? How many people gives and take bribes? Do you know the growing number of extramarital sexual relations and Adultery? The list goes on and on. There are not many rules left that haven't been broken yet.
As a Muslim its our duty to spread the teaching of Islam and motivate people to lead Islamic way of life not bicker over
Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?
When we should concentrate our effort to preserve and spread the Islamic way of life , instead some people are hell bound to create chaos only because they got unhealthy devotion towards "Pakistan and Urdu" . These people disgust me.

Did i ever showed any disrespect to Pakistan or any other countries? What i meant in my previous post is that some people of our country love "Pakistan and Urdu" too a point that they don't have time left too think about Islam.

How many people of our country pray salat regularly? How many rich people give Jakat properly? How many people gives and take bribes? Do you know the growing number of extramarital sexual relations and Adultery? The list goes on and on. There are not many rules left that haven't been broken yet.
As a Muslim its our duty to spread the teaching of Islam and motivate people to lead Islamic way of life not bicker over
Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?
When we should concentrate our effort to preserve and spread the Islamic way of life , instead some people are hell bound to create chaos only because they got unhealthy devotion towards "Pakistan and Urdu" . These people disgust me.

Are you saying that some of us are "bickering over" Bangla script because we have devotion towards Pakistan and Urdu, but not Islam?

Last edited:
Are you saying that some of us are "bickering over" Bangla script because we have devotion towards Pakistan and Urdu, but not Islam?
I am trying to say that we should concentrate our effort to preserve and spread the Islamic way of life. Do you know younger generations are getting too western? Dating and Adultery is spreading like plague. Why you guys turn a blind eye toward real issues and bicker over a topic that doesn't concern Islam?

I am trying to say that we should concentrate our effort to preserve and spread the Islamic way of life. Do you know younger generations are getting too western? Dating and Adultery is spreading like plague. Why you guys turn a blind eye toward real issues and bicker over a topic that doesn't concern Islam?
those trends you stated are real problems. i would add sedentary lifestyle which includes lack of opportunity for sports and healthy recreation, and imo is a big factor in drug abuse, bad health and other immorality plaguing the urban youth. but we can have discussion with other threads regarding that. it's not hard to know your reluctance towards threads like "Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?". it is because of your exclusive opposition to such suggestion stemming from a lack of interest in Bengal's Muslim history. and it is not surprising either when i look at myself not too long ago. the ignorance a lot of us Bangladeshis have about our own selves is amazing.

Last edited:
those trends you stated are real problems. i would add sedentary lifestyle which includes lack of opportunity for sports and healthy recreation, and imo is a big factor in drug abuse, bad health and other immorality plaguing the urban youth. but we can have discussion with other threads regarding that. it's not hard to know your reluctance towards threads like "Should we make a Petition to change the Devanagari script of Bangla!?". it is because of your exclusive opposition to such suggestion stemming from a lack of interest in Bengal's Muslim history. and it is not surprising either when i look at myself not too long ago. the ignorance a lot of us Bangladeshis have about our own selves is amazing.

Ignorance about our own history is the one of the biggest problem. If people knew their own history, Bangladeshi politics and social discourse would change significantly, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom