What's new

Reko Diq gold mine project: Pakistan may face $11.5-billion penalty

Just think:

- New partner has to be found who has the technical expertise to extract & market the copper & gold.

- Funding has to be arranged and we have to wait say at least another 5 years (?) until the project is on line and we see the mine generating income .

- How long with it take just to pay off $11.5-billion before real profits are generated?

We must understand Potential is only “POTENTIAL”. Its value is “ZERO” until it is realized.

This is not Pakistan where the powerful can say “Get lost. We don’t pay” even if the court has decided against them. Once the World Court rules against you, Pakistan can face economic sanctions in case of default.

We have to thank the megalomaniac CJ Ch. Ifitkhar for judgements against privatization of steel mill & Rekodiq.

You do realise i had already thought of all this before i posted.

Its an opportunity which we can use and should do as per our own wishes.

If we end up losing some money. It won't be the first time either

A huge loss omg thats shows how much currption is done in past every day that is happening such a shame for over leaders

I can easily ignore such kind of rulings but the Nawaz, Zardari, Musharaf or any other from ruling class cannot ignore such rulings because,

i) Having offshore wealth in Panama, Dubai, Switzerland, London etc.
ii) Needs support of different lobbies from world powers.
iii) Having children living/studying abroad or daughters/sons wed with British/Canadian/US/Australian girls/boys etc.

These are the reasons which bounds the stooges to follow the rulings of international court of justice.

Corrupts in third world are protected by first world because they are the requirement of first world to loot the resources of third world.

ISLAMABAD:

An arbitration tribunal of the World Bank has ruled in favor of Tethyan Copper Company Pvt Ltd (TCC) in a case involving the Reko Diq gold mine project in Balochistan. As a result of the ruling, Pakistan may face a penalty of $11.5 billion for not awarding the project to TCC.

The World Bank’s International Center for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID) had earlier rejected Pakistan government’s application to dismiss TCC’s claims on grounds of corruption and malpractices by the latter.

Both the federal and provincial governments submitted applications before the ICSID and the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague during 2015-16, seeking admittance of new evidence showing TCC’s corrupt practices in Reko Diq affairs for illegal and undue gains.

The move was futile, however, as the court ruled against the government for unlawful denial of the mining lease for Reko Diq to TCC- a joint venture between Chile’s Antofagasta and Canada’s Barrick Gold Corporation.

The arbitration claim had been submitted in 2012 by the TCC. Five years later, in 2017, it filed for compensatory damages amounting to $9.1 billion based on fair market value of its investments in the project till November 15, 2011. In addition, it also filed a claim of $2.3 billion as pre-award compound interest.

The government has to submit its reply to TCC’s damages claims by July 21.

The previous government of Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) had tried to settle the dispute with TCC but failed. It had also warned the Balochistan government that the federal government will not pay damages in case of an adverse ruling from international tribunals.

TCC held 75% shares in the project while Balochistan had a 25% stake. The company claims it has invested over $500 million in exploration, scoping and feasibility studies on the project. Total investment was projected to be $5 billion over a period of five years.

TCC and Balochistan reached a deadlock in 2009 because of two issues. First, TCC wanted Balochistan to bear 25% financial obligation according to its share in the project. But the province refused to take any financial responsibility.

Second was the purported involvement of a Chinese company in the project. A letter written by Pakistan’s Ambassador to Chile Burhanul Islam to then Petroleum Minister Naveed Qamar in September 2009 had advised against involving Metallurgical Corporation of China in the same mining site.

In a feasibility report submitted to the Balochistan government, TCC projected a turnover of over $60 billion for the gold and copper project over a span of 56 years. This projection was based on a price of $2.2 per pound of copper and $925 per ounce of gold, in the year 2009.

The mine has estimated reserves of 11.65 million tons of copper and 21.18 million ounces of gold.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 12th, 2017.
https://tribune.com.pk/story/145587...oject-pakistan-may-face-11-5-billion-penalty/

Why was the project cancelled ?

I would object to 75% stake for TCC. 51% stake should suffice for majority control. Give the 49% in an auction to private shareholders in Pakistan

11201707140271.JPG

The sensible thing to do- if these claims are finally to be paid- would be to sell the project to Chinese in return for them picking up the tab for the damages.

Regards

Still worth it though.

11.5 billion is peanuts compared to the potential.
4% of your GDP is not a peanut amount. Potential may or may not become reality.

It won't be payed, look for some other settlement.

Last edited:
The sensible thing to do- if these claims are finally to be paid- would be to sell the project to Chinese in return for them picking up the tab for the damages.

Regards

lol... why so many peeplz say pleez halp us china? So instead of sell for pennies to canadian company (the Barricks), we sell to chinese company for pennies? What different? You like China lund more?

PakForce,

You like China lund more?

No. It seems from reading PDF posts that you guys do....

Regards

4% of your GDP is not a peanut amount. Potential may or may not become reality.

It won't be payed, look for some other settlement.

i know an Indian is good with mathematics but i am only telling you what probably should and would happen

There is no final verdict yet on this.
So hold your horses.

So, what happens if Pakistan says we don't want to pay?
Or
Payable when able.
Or
Will pay 10 USD each month.

Who will enforce this judgment by force?
What is such mechanism if any?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom