What's new

Religious Freedom from Hindu perspective

Let us first examine the meaning of religious freedom, and how Hindu religion, philosophy and practice addressthis issue.

Religious freedom requires religious pluralism – that is,

*. – acceptance of all religions as equally valid ,and

*. – the state must ensure peaceful co-existence for followers of all religions .

1. Acceptance of all religions as equally valid

One of the basic premises of Hinduism is that all spiritual paths lead to the same end result, which is salvation. To quote from Hindu scripture Rig Veda,

There is but only One Truth, even though the Sages know it by different names.

So, whether we call God as Brahman, or Allāh, or Yahveh, orthe Lord, or Nirankār, or Ahura Mazdā, or Supreme Being, they all refer to the one unknowable,omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, timeless, unbounded manifestation we call God.

I don't get it. If all religions are equally valid and same as per Hindu teaching then why all Hindu don't become Muslims and Christians as it will still lead them to same God even if they live their lives according to Islam or Christianity :D

So if you stick with your religion thats mean they are not same and you don't accept/practice others and respect is different thing as we can respect different religions without accepting them

In a sense it is so. The beliefs have largely evolved from "living practices" not from a single structured and "codified set of rules". Hinduism is a huge umbrella, not a something as a doctrinaire as single book/or set of books. Hence it can be labelled as a way of life rather than a religion.

Joe Shearer is a better candidate to explain/expound on these matters. :)

And that precisely is the definition of 'Deen' (Islam) is too. The two parallel definitions that I find both come from Non-Abrahamic religions: Dharma (from Hinduism) and Tao (Taoism). All emphasize in living in harmony with nature; Islam is called 'Deen-e-Fitrat'; the Way (Religion) of Nature.

But, in being elevated from the animals to humanity, we have to let go the 'law of the jungle', that is, 'Survival of the Fittest' and practice the way of 'compassion' and 'justice'.

The greatest strength of Hinduism also seems to be it's greatest weakness; that is flexibility or evolution to accommodate all the other religious tradition in sub-continent under a single umbrella. Although, this has brought Hinduism to it's numerical strength today. It's past and present also show that there has been a lot of compromise to keep Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma) the dominant religious entity in India. In the past, Buddhism was almost wiped out from India by incorporating varius tenets of that religion in Hinduism. In the present day, Prophet Issa (PBUH), i.e. Jesus Christ has been added as a Saint in Hindu religion.

Note: This is purely my analysis, based upon my own limited knowledge.

The greatest strength of Hinduism also seems to be it's greatest weakness; that is flexibility or evolution to accommodate all the other religious tradition in sub-continent under a single umbrella. Although, this has brought Hinduism to it's numerical strength today. It's past and present also show that there has been a lot of compromise to keep Hinduism (Sanatana Dharma) the dominant religious entity in India. In the past, Buddhism was almost wiped out from India by incorporating varius tenets of that religion in Hinduism. In the present day, Prophet Issa (PBUH), i.e. Jesus Christ has been added as a Saint in Hindu religion.

Note: This is purely my analysis, based upon my own limited knowledge.

I don't necessarily agree on certain points but a fair assessment.

I don't get it. If all religions are equally valid and same as per Hindu teaching then why all Hindu don't become Muslims and Christians as it will still lead them to same God even if they live their lives according to Islam or Christianity :D

So if you stick with your religion thats mean they are not same and you don't accept/practice others and respect is different thing as we can respect different religions without accepting them

Valid does not mean identical. Three roads take me to office, they are different, equally valid, but I have a preference.

Baaring right-wing outfits like RSS & VHP, Hindus are most tolerant, loving and welcoming community of the World. We are not ashamed of our Hindu past. It is a progressive religion in which new ideas are always welcome. Just get rid of castes.

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 AM ----------

Hinduism does not follow a single philosophy. Some worship animals while others do not believe in any manifestations of God. You are free to choose what you believe. Most importantly, you WILL NOT be killed if you wish to leave Hinduism!

Valid does not mean identical. Three roads take me to office, they are different, equally valid, but I have a preference.

that's what i am saying that if all three roads lead to same destination then it should not matter to you which road you chose..but here i see that you guys are stick to one particular road and dont wish to try/accept other two roads when they also lead to same destination..why? :)

Baaring right-wing outfits like RSS & VHP....

Why what did they do for them being tagged as extremist ? Ok, I might admit that VHP is indeed a bit extreme in its views, but RSS ?

---------- Post added at 07:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

that's what i am saying that if all three roads lead to same destination then it should not matter to you which road you chose..but here i see that you guys are stick to one particular road and dont wish to try/accept other two roads when they also lead to same destination..why? :)

One road might have more traffic signals and traffic and the other road might be a freeway with no traffic. Or one road might be a shorter route to the destination and the other route might be a roundabout.

Try understanding what is being said without nitpicking on small things.

Thats because Islam is alien to us. Hinduism is ours, handed down to us by our ancestors, a path familiar to us, a path which our forefathers had faith in. Our goal is to reach the destination, so why not follow the path which is familiar to us?

---------- Post added at 08:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

[/COLOR]

my mother gave birth of me,,,so all the mothers did...and all mothers are respected to me. That doesnot means that I should call all of them as mother.

A Hindu is free enough to opt for the road he wishes. Can Muslims do it? Imagine what will happen to you :)

Hinduism is like a free House where you can easily enter and stay on if you like. You can even go if you feel like it. PUNISHMENT for leaving Islam is DEATH !!

Guys Islam don't claim that all religions lead to same destination and acceptance of all religions as valid and i don't mind if some of you think Islam is alien to Hinduism because i think its true . I was just commenting the original poster and his claim that Hinduism accept all religions as valid because if you accept some roads/paths as valid then you don't hesitate to walk on that road when you also believe that these roads will lead you to right destination..second when you accept a religion valid then you don't hesitate to follow the teaching of that religions but you follow Hinduism and its culture prove that this claim of acceptance of other religions is not true

Guys Islam don't claim that all religions lead to same destination and acceptance of all religions as valid and i don't mind if some of you think Islam is alien to Hinduism because i think its true . I was just commenting the original poster and his claim that Hinduism accept all religions as valid because if you accept some roads/paths as valid then you don't hesitate to walk on that road when you also believe that these roads will lead you to right destination..second when you accept a religion valid then you don't hesitate to follow the teaching of that religions but you follow Hinduism and its culture prove that this claim of acceptance of other religions is not true

NO NOT TRUE. The main reason is that ISLAM is a "One-way-Street"

No you are getting this in wrong way.when you say that only Islam is right path there comes the objection.If you come to India you will see Hindus having equally participation in any Dargah whether it is Ajmer Shariff or haji Ali. Open door for Hindus in Mecca and Madina you will see how many hindus will go for haj. In Hinduism we say all path going to god are equal whether its sikhism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism.We believe in Vasudev Kutumbkam where we believe all human beings in the world are same unlike Islam the concept of ummah where only Muslims are brothers and rest are Kafir.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom